Old 03-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Orlando to Texas via I-10

With a fe golf stops along the way at SainT Augustine, Destin fl, Mobile AL, and Lake Charles, LA = any suggestions on campgrounds, good spots t boondock, etc?

Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Depending on how long you'd like to stay-Henderson Beach State Park in Destin is on the Gulf and is a beautiful park. We were just there a couple weekends ago and all the sites were spacious, gravel, and level. We live in Niceville-about 15 minutes north of Destin. If you don't want to venture far from I-10, Falling Waters SP in Chipley (further east than Destin) is a great little park with Florida's Largest Waterfall (don't get too excited- ). But it is a great park, and the waterfall is neat.

Let me know if you'd like any more info on Henderson or anything else. Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park is right across the bayou from me (three minutes away) and is a great little park, too.

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveGreers
Falling Waters SP in Chipley (further east than Destin) is a great little park with Florida's Largest Waterfall (don't get too excited- ). But it is a great park, and the waterfall is neat.
Largest waterfall? How high is it, 3'? Just kidding. You may find this place more to your liking:
Welcome to Mystic Springs Airstream ParkMystic Springs Cove Inc.is an Airstream park located on the banks of the Escambia river. The park is sponsored by members of the Pensacola Florida Unit of WBCCI. This 10 acre park retains a rustic atmosphere. Approximately 1 mile east of US Highway 29 just south of the limits of McDavid, FL. Mystic Springs Cove is open year round and has 58 spacious sites, 50 sites with 30 amp electric (some 50 amp available), water and sewer. Most sites are shaded by stately moss draped oaks. Some pull-through sites are available. Pets are welcome if on a leash. Rates are $9 including tax per day for 30 amp service and $11.00 including tax for 50 amp service.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Here's a link to Falling Waters-http://www.floridastateparks.org/fal...rs/default.cfm

It's a little bit bigger than 3'- -I'll be heading there in April for another camping trip (our 3rd time there-1st in a tent, 2nd in the pop up, 3rd with our Safari).

Mystic Springs is a nice place-a little far off of I-10 (if you're trying to do a quick over night stay) and make sure you have everything you need going in, because it's pretty much out there! My parents have their coach parked there now (they are in the process of moving up to the panhandle from Orlando). The park overlooks the Escambia River and is very peaceful.

2005 22' Safari-

Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Thanks, Ya'll. Henderson Beach was full, but I got a spot at Topsail SP, which also looks nice. Playing golf at Camp Creek near the Watercolor resort.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
You'll enjoy Topsail. We spent one Thanksgiving there a couple years back. Haven't heard of that golf course, but DH is the golfer, not me- . There are plenty of beautiful courses around here, that's for sure.

2005 22' Safari-

Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Dauphin Island, one of the barrier islands south of Mobile and a short drive from I10, has a nice campground, easy walking distance to the gulf. We have not yet stayed there, but have seen it and plan to stay there next Spring. We always see some Airstreams in camp. We were just there a couple of weeks ago. The island received heavy damage in last fall's hurricanes, but the east end of the island is up and running and I think will appreciate any influx of attention and $$ from travelers. Good luck and safe travel! By the way, be prepared for some VERY troubling vistas as you approach Gulfport on west. None of the television coverage of the hurricanes prepared us for actually seeing such damage--and this is month s after the events.~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote