Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Organizing recommended campgrounds

Over time, I've read of many great campgrounds and think, "Wow, I'll have to remember that when we're in that area", well there is no way I'll remember all of the ones I've read about here on the Forum.

I know I need to keep a listing of them, but am wondering how others do it. Do you write it down on paper and then transfer to a file on your computer to save? Or are there other ways?

Thanks.

Deb

Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have stayed at a lot of campgrounds (100's) and we also have information on many more that we may like to try. We have been keeping track the old fashioned way. We have an expandable file and within this file there are a number of file folders (about 10) that are for groups of states.

We have kept a sheet from each and every campground that we have stayed at. We have also printed a sheet for many campgrounds that we would like to try. Most of these came from recommendations on these Forums.

As we travel to or through an area, we review our file for that region and pick out possible campgrounds based upon our own past experience and recommendations of others.

I have considered digitizing this information by scanning all of the documents and filing them electronically. That's just something that I have not yet gotten around to doing.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I started to keep an old fashioned journal. I make note of where we were and were we camped. I keep it in the AS. I need to do something to make it easier to locate places we want to revisit.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Chicago , Illinois
I go to the website and email the link to myself putting pertinent info the the subject line. I then just drag the email to my "airstream" folder/mailbox. You can also have a subfolders titled "campgrounds" under the "airsteam" mailbox. I have an iPhone and have access to the internet so I can do it before I forget.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Program the campground location into my GPS as a favorite, and put them all in a category called "campgrounds." Then use the "Find near" function for wherever I'm going.

Can't keep track of a lot of details that way, like some of the other methods can, but at least I know there's a campground in the area I want to try.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #6

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have started using Google Earth buy placing a stick pin at each campground (on the actual site in most cases). I can add notes or an image when I get around to it. The entire list can be exported as a .kmz file and I can open it on my iPad/iPhone if I want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KMZ Image.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	181318  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
HiHo,
Great idea! Noticed not too many pins around Memphis! Too funny I understand why

Spent last summer there.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I made a top ten list.......

Of my favorite beautiful boondocking campsites. I threw it away when ten turned into fifty, and I realized that I kept finding new spots that I would never have to time to return to enjoy.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I have started using Google Earth buy placing a stick pin at each campground (on the actual site in most cases). I can add notes or an image when I get around to it. The entire list can be exported as a .kmz file and I can open it on my iPad/iPhone if I want.

How about sending the file, if enough of us did this we could build a nice shared DB for Air Forum approved sites.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
How about sending the file, if enough of us did this we could build a nice shared DB for Air Forum approved sites.
I don't want to be negative, but what makes a great campground for one person might make a horrible one for someone else. I was tired and pulled into a "family friendly campground" - which didn't clearly disclose that they require all campers to sign a "dry pledge" - that there are no alcoholic beverages on board. That plus the "and you'll be joining us for evening prayers won't you, dearie?" made me put the credit card back in the purse and leave.

For some - activities for children are highly important. I don't have children, so I want a quiet place to sleep, fully functional hookups (not a sewer hookup that overflows PLEASE!) a dry site and neighbors who don't think they need a six foot high smokey flame to roast a marshmallow.

For some - great wifi is a MUST.

My favorites in Virginia are the Meadows of Dan, and Virginia Highland Haven - which would bore a lot of people spitless. I can read, putter around doing minor A/S chores, listen to the sounds of silence, and watch the deer in the meadows. Other people would like those campgrounds for a max of one day.

Paula
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Paula, very true, no different then reading the reviews on the internet from complete strangers and deciding what fits your needs. In this case you could at least contact the reviewer and maybe find out more information. I like to see where others have stayed especially those out of the way places.

Oh by the way I can relate to your first story accept it happened on a cave tour in Arkansas, the show they promised was a sermon with lights and smoke. Now I am a New Orleans Catholic so that eliminates the dry pledge and my son attended a Jesuit High School and is going to a Jesuit College, and now we have a Jesuit Pope, I think I am in good standing and can handle my own salvation. If you say that is your son and not you, I am writing the checks.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, so many great ideas! And, Paula, I understand where you are coming from, however, I think Jim Clark had a wonderful idea using HiHo's method and Forums members sharing. We could probably have a way to categorize them to let people know if alcohol is allowed, if it's a layed back campground, etc. Also, if people would state what made it special to them, then we all would instantly know if that sounded "special" to the rest of us.

I have an IPhone 4, had it for only about a month now so I'm still learning it, but I don't understand about pulling up GoogleEarth, unless you go into the "Safari" area?

The filing system is what I had thought about, but it seemed that it could get out-of-controlably large (knowing myself), I would be adding so many which were recommended "in case" we were in the area. I was really hoping for some "techy" way to eliminate carrying around too many papers, which is what I think HiHo's way is.

Thanks so much everyone.

Deb
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You know, up at the top of the page, under the "More" tab, there's an item for "Campground Reviews." Which perhaps could be integrated with the map, so if you select a pinned site, you get a link to the review.

Which would work best if everyone who contributes a site to the map also posts a review of said site. But perhaps that's just wishful thinking.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I don't want to be negative, but what makes a great campground for one person might make a horrible one for someone else. I was tired and pulled into a "family friendly campground" - which didn't clearly disclose that they require all campers to sign a "dry pledge" - that there are no alcoholic beverages on board.

Paula
now that's what i'd call REALLY DRY camping!

i have found the campground reviews site on this forum to be helpful.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote