Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Originally Posted by Cap-N-Red View Post
Lani , just south of Florence is where Honeyman S.P. is located. We spent several days there and covered the area fairly well. I can't say enough about how nice the place was. Course , I think all the state parks in Oregon are nice , at least all the ones we've stay in are
We recently stayed here and second the motion. You can't go wrong with OR State Parks, they use ALL the lottery money for their parks and it shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeyman 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	83809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Florence Dunes 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	83810  

Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks everyone! We had an amazing week in the Crater Lake area last week. This week we are checking out Hood River and then on to Portland. After that, the coast is DEFINITELY on the list, especially after all these great recommendations! Oregon state parks are amazing. I have been so impressed! This week, we are taking advantage of their promotional deal (stay 2 nights, get 3rd free). So awesome!!!!

Will be heading up to Washington state and then on into Canada in August. I may be posting again for recommendations!

Thanks again!

Lani Pokrana
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Fort Stevens State Park (on the coast just west of Astoria) is very nice, Excellent bike trails (if you have them with you). Also a lot of varied sites in the park itself. The coast artillery batteries there were fired upon by a Japanese submarine during WWII.
Also a lot of wildlife and a very old shipwreck (the Peter Iredale) on the beach.
Enjoy your time in my favorite state.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We're on Long Beach in WA ...we love it. We're headed to Seaside on Fri. The state parks are great here. We're staying in a private park , but visited Fort Stevens State park near Astoria . It's one of the largest campgrounds in area..beautiful sites . I agree with everyone the coast is a must.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
We are staying at Loon Lake at the moment. The place is FULL of kids, all with smiles and having a ball. We're on our own so it's a bit noisier than we would prefer, but if our kids were young it would be terrific.

They aren't good about enforcing the Quiet Time after 10 o'clock. There was a loud (and profane) party going on until 1:30 a.m. one night, as well as a few fights; just yelling, no blood.

Campsites are pretty good although close together and very open, so not much privacy. The lake is lovely but full of power boats so, again, it can be noisy at times. The staff at the Loon Lake Lodge has been very nice and helpful. Since it's inland, it can get hot during the day but that makes the lake a nice place for a swim.
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
I agree with Cap-N-Red. Honeyman State Park is really nice. My younger son and I have sandboarded there several times while visiting my brother in Florence. Give sandboarding a try - it's great fun. You can rent gear and get a lesson here:

SAND MASTER PARK "The Worlds First Sandboard Park!"
Dismayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Another must see state park is Ecola just on the north side of Cannon Beach but don't haul your trailer back there. Rods too tight and narrow but the view of Terribly Tilly (Tillamook Head Lighthouse) along with Haystack Rock is spectacular. Been there a number of times but all without the Airstream in tow. Plan on doing the 101 coast tour one day. Tillamook has their cheese factory tour which is fun but even better is the Air Museum just south of town. I agree, you just can't go wrong in Oregon.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote