Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Oregon help please!

We are going to make a trip to Oregon in May and would love suggestions on sites, hikes and scenic campgrounds! Also, any suggestion on roads I should not travel while pulling my travel trailer (30').
Thanks in advance!
Greg
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Where are you heading? Oregon is a big state! The State Parks are lovely, all our favorite parks on the beach are State Parks.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Where are you heading? Oregon is a big state! The State Parks are lovely, all our favorite parks on the beach are State Parks.
Greg, like Stef said, what do you want to do? Wet side? Dry side? Mountains?
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
The state has so much to offer!

Personal favs are:
Portland for beer and food. Start at breakide brewery and tin shed cafe in NE.

MT Hood
Go hike at Timberline, you can trek on the PCT!
Olallie lake at Mt Jefferson

Hood River
Coolest town in the world, watch the windsurfers, go berry picking, taste beer and wine...

Central
Bend
Smith Rock

Coast
Lincoln city and Depoe bay. Walk the beaches, eat at Tidal Raves

Lots of wine tasting all over.

I5 and I84 are easy.
HWY26 and 35 are easy passes over the cascades
Avoid WA SR14 between cascade locks and I5
hood river bridge is, well, narrow! Cross at bridge of the gods.

In a rush, hope this helps!

The Seven Wonders Of Oregon | Travel Oregon
Old 04-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks for all the feedback! Have 2 weeks in the state, mainly want to see the ocean, columbia river, waterfalls and mountains.
Thanks again!

WBCCI #8996
Old 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Do you have children? Beverly Beach State Park on the coast is kid friendly. All of the Coast has great State Park campgrounds.
Of course, the gorge has water falls, but Silver Falls has Trail of Ten Falls(7 miles, but many variations on that trail optional). The trail goes behind 4 of the falls. There are more seasonal falls in the Spring. The road out of Silverton is a bit windy, but what the heck, log trucks do it, just a bit annoying to those behind you. The campground is OK, nothing special.
Sahalie Falls and the associated trail off Santiam Pass--gorgeous!!
Opal creek / Saw Bone Flats region, but you'd have to park your trailer in one of the many campgrounds off Hwy 20, Santiam Pass. While in that area, go over the McKenzie Pass (not with your AS), see the Dee Wright Observatory, obsidian fields, leaping down the sandy slopes of old vents has got to be one of my most favorite memories. Bend region: Cascade Highway / Century Drive puts you at the feet of many hiking trails. Take the ride to the top of Mt. Bachelor, walk down. -may be snowy, this is such a weird year weather-wise!
Crater Lake--might be too early. Oregon Caves.
The back side of Hood has some really wonderful little campgrounds right on the creek, tons to do on our beloved Mt. Hood. Might be cold in May, though.
Too early to hike into Jefferson Park, but tuck that into your bucket list. No greater artist than God, and that is one of His playgrounds!
You can pull in and park that trailer at our place to do a day trip. We have lots of room and live on a creek out of Silverton and we can pull out the maps!
Susan
Check out the above on google. I know that they are opening the Mckenzie Hwy early this year due to lack of snow, but better check out all of the details.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
I should have written Fogarty Creek Campground on the Coast, has a creek (that leads to the ocean) and the ocean! Such fun!
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Crater Lake! If you are traveling all that way to see Oregon, be sure to stop at Crater Lake. And the coast. You could spend weeks on the Coast. It's all beautiful. I especially like the southern coast. Truly amazing and not so many people. But it's all wonderful. It's hard to go wrong with Oregon.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
And since you'll make it all the way to Portland and the Columbia Gorge, I'm sure you won't be able to resist visiting that volcano sitting tantalizingly on the horizon, so pencil in a day trip North into WA far enough to see Mt St Helens, and appreciate the landscaping changes she made when she 'blew her top'.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Great information, thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
As stated above, Oregon State Parks are excellent. But, as you get closer to vacation time they tend to fill up. Make reservations if you know your travel dates. Another private campground on the ocean is Sea and Sand just north of Depoe Bay. Our club has camped there and it is about as close to the ocean as you can get!

We are fairly new to Oregon and are still finding great places to camp. We use the Allstays App to find campgrounds and lots of information on each one. Well worth the price.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Amity , Oregon
And... you will want to travel Hwy 101 along the ocean, lots of curves and hills but some of the best views of the coastline on the west coast. Very doable with the trailer. Take it slow and take advantage of the numerous scenic pulloffs.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Coast Camping

Also know that many of those wide coastal pullouts can be used for overnight camping.
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
If you have time there's some exceptional dry camping on the Metolius river near Sisters OR.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Smith Rock!! (45 minutes from Bend). Stunning!! As wonderful as any of our great National Parks are!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
lots of great stuff to see in OR but make sure you check the camping places in advance as a 30' trailer may be hard to park in some of the locations already mentioned.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I'll echo Duncans post about the Old McKenzie Pass (Hwy 242) for great mountain and lava field views. Tow vehicle only, though, and make sure the snow has been plowed up and over.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
I would suggest what I call the perimeter tour... 101 up the coast you can go all the way up or tate road to Tillamook tour cheese factory, buy supplies, eat ice cream.... Travel to Portland.... Eat your way through Portland... Great food.... Must go to voodoo donuts.... Then East along the gorge... See Columbia and wind surfing at Hood River... Stop at Multnomah falls... And the is that big fish hatchery that has the breading size sturgeon.... OK so I like weird fish... Sue me..... Then on the Washington side is the mini stone henge and the hot springs

Idk how to get you home from there but there are a ton of back roads... Let us know if you find anything Interesring
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tigard , Oregon
Keep in mind Oregon is roughly 98,000 square miles. You could pack Ohio & Pennsylvania inside add Delaware, RI, and still have 3,000 square miles left over. Of 4M people over half live in the Portland metro area. There is a lot of space, not a lot of people. You have forests, high desert, the ocean, Mt Hood 11,000 ft volcano. Remember Mt St Helens in WA is only 80 miles north & worth seeing.