Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Oregon Coastal Road Trip

Seeking information and recommendations on driving the Oregon coast road from Astoria OR to Crescent City in Northern California. Will be pulling our 28 foot Flying Cloud and want to make sure that I don't get myself trouble with narrow roads and/or tight corners. Also would like to know about scenic coastal campgrounds, places to stop and see the sights and best places to dine. Hope to do this in August 2016.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That works too. Caught my attention.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We very much enjoyed Ft. Stevens State Park in Astoria (full hookups!) That would be a good place to begin or end your trip depending on which direction you choose to go. The campground facilities are very nice, there are some nice hiking and bike riding opportunities, there is beach access, and it's close to the town of Astoria which has a nice maritime museum and some nice restaurants. Have a great trip!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
The suitability of the road, and driving experence should not be a problem.

I drove the length of the west coast last summer, and very much enjoyed the road trip part of the summer. Finding places to stay without reservations was a different story entirely .

Great coast to travel.
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Any recommendations on good campground?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Having spent most of my life in Oregon, and having driven the entire 101 route more than a few times, you won't have any problems with the road. The only problem you may have is keeping your eyes on it, some of the scenery is just amazing.
My suggestion is to get on the Oregon State Parks website and check out all the great places to camp along the coast. If you planning on going during the summer, reservations are essential.
PDXRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I plan on making the same trip this fall. Will keep an eye on this thread.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
I've driven this multiple time with my trailer. The route is easy and comfortable - no road stretches to be concerned about. There are a large number of remarkably nice campgrounds from which to choose. Unless you are here in the dead of winter, don't go without reservations. Ft Stevens SP here in Astoria is suburb, going south: Beverly Beach or South Beach SP in Newport, Tillicum NFS CG in Yachats, Bullard's Beach SP in Bandon, and Harris Beach SP in Brookings are all places I've stayed and would recommend. Once into California, stick to 101 and avoid the temptation to cut over to Hwy 1 if you continue south beyond Crescent City. Hwy 1 is much more scenic, but not a place I'd want to take my trailer.
If you are coming to Astoria, PM me for more local info.
Have a great trip and enjoy the scenery -
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Oregon Coastal Road Trip

We had no trouble with our 30' Classic this summer on US 101 in Oregon. You should be fine.

We also took CA 1 all the way to San Diego. Only once was a curve so sharp with a steep exit to climb the hill did the rear scrape. There are pullouts all along the road so you can let others pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I've stayed at most of the Oregon state parks along the PCH during a cycling trip several years ago and found them all to be fantastic. I don't think you can go wrong with stopping at any of them. Get the Oregon Parks map and pick the ones closest to wherever you want to explore.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We stopped at Bay Center KOA - Wallipi(?) and enjoyed it. Quite, out of the way, very nice couple bought it several years ago. Short walk thru the woods and there is the bay. Some went swimming, we walked it at low tide. Small town about 15 miles away with great little seafood restaurants.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Tagging along for the ride, as we hope to see the Oregon coast next fall. Thanks for the new thread headline.

I have driven most of the West Coast from San Diego to Vancouver BC Canada by car, and the Oregon coast is fantastic. It can be very foggy at times, however, so it will be helpful to keep an eye on the weather, and to bounce inland as needed, which is very easy to do with the fairly frequent west/east routes available.

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We love the Oregon coast and its state parks. As previously mentioned, Fort Stevens State Park is a great base for exploring the Astoria area. Nehalem Bay State Park offers a gorgeous 6-mile beach just steps from your campsite (over the dunes), and the cute town of Manzanita a short bike ride away. Visit http://oregonstateparks.org/ to find many more parks as you work your way south.

There is not a state park at Cannon Beach, but we enjoyed our stay at Cannon Beach RV Resort (http://www.cbrvresort.com/), which was within walking distance of Haystack Rock.

Have a great trip!
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We are really, REALLY, fortunate to have great state parks on our coast. On top of what others have said I will throw into the hat:

1. Pacific City. We stay at the thousand trails, go all the way to the back of the park and up the hill, a few spots have amazing views. If you like hiking it is about 2 miles to Pelican Brewey..

2. Lincoln City. "Premier RV Resort" small but nice. Again, stay at the back and up the hill and you get sea views... It is a short walk (lots of steps!) to the beach.

Go eat at "Tidal Raves" in Depoe bay...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
I'm interested too! Am planning to be in that area mid September, and would love to see this coast.
bluecornstal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Delta , British Columbia
Last year we traveled the coast from South to North the entire route that you are considering. I would most likely plan to do it the opposite direction. We had challenges pulling off to see the sites. We stayed exclusively at Oregon State Parks and loved it. All have electricity, most have water, few have sewer at the site, but all have free dump stations. There are so many spots, our favourites were Ft Stevens, Nehalem Bay (been twice and would go back again), South Beach, Jessie M Honeyman, Harris Beach. We typically do 2-4 nights as we have young kids so moving everyday isn't ideal. We stopped in at Sunset Beach which was beautiful for a swim and lunch one day. Very nice beach, also Cape Lookout is nice right on the water but a little out of the way.

Book early, you can do 9 months ahead on Oregon State Parks and I think 1 year on Washington State. My parents stayed a few days at Cape Disappointment just North of Astoria and loved it.

Other key places are Heceta Lighthouse (mid coast) and Crater Lake if you decide to go inland. You have to book up there, trailers aren't appropriate at the Lake. Crater Lake Park is federal I think not State.

Old or young alike the Oregon Coast has a lot of beauty and activities to offer. Enjoy your trip, remember to visit fellow Airstreamer's when camping.
Seabloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Boise , Idaho
The State Parks are wonderful! We go over at least once a year. Working from North to South, we love Beverly Beach SP near Newport, Beachside SP near Waldport, Honeyman SP near Florence, Sunset Bay SP near Charleston and Bullards Beach SP near Bandon. The only commercial RV Park we've stayed at is Sea Perch RV Resort near Yachats. All of these places are outstanding and we keep going back!
baldwin6601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #18

2010 27' FB International
Forest Park , Illinois
Send a message via Skype™ to robineb
Agree with most posters here--hard to go wrong with Oregon State Parks. However, we found Sunset Beach SP outside of Coos Bay pretty hard to navigate for some sites, and we had a site in which our door opened to our neighbors, and not on the picnic table side. Awkward. Also no internet. A better choice for us was Bastendorf County Park, just up the road. Amazing beach and views. Less crowded. Reservations recommended.
robineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Western Springs , Illinois
The only problem you will have is keeping your eyes on the road due to the beautiful scenery. There are numerous campgrounds and private RV parks along the way finding a nice one won't be a problem. Take your time and stop along the way
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
We love to camp at Beverly Beach State Park, which is just a few miles north of Newport, Oregon. There are wonderful places in Newport, and north, etc. Last time we were there (a couple years ago) they were in the process of cutting up a concrete pier that had floated over from Japan following the big tsunami that occurred a while back.

On the north end of town is Izzy's Pizza Restaurant, which is really more of a Family style buffet. It's food is good, it's prices are very reasonable, and it has an OUTSTANDING view of the Newport beach izzyspizza.com. It is our favorite place to eat in the area. We go for the view, the food and the totally casual atmosphere.

Make your reservations as early as possible for Beverly Beach though, as it fills up. Also, the Oregon coast is cool year round. You might want to make sure you have a sweatshirt or something that will keep you warm while on the beaches.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote