Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
West Coast (Mostly) , OR/CA + Beyond
Oregon/California Border Produce stop worries

Hey all,

We are packing up to leave for California from Oregon via Crescent City. Someone here in Oregon just reminded us of the border stop where they check to see if you have any produce. I've driven through it 1000 times in a single vehicle and always been waved through with an affirmative no to having any produce in the vehicle. A local just said...oh boy you could totally be stopped in a trailer and searched. I just read an article that says 20M private vehicles get searched at these borders annually. Do I really have to dump all the produce we just stocked up on?? Has anyone had any experience with it?
Old 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I would read through the regulations. I don't think it is "all" produce, just certain kinds. Then I would FOLLOW THE LAW and not transport those into the state. Of course I am an old fashioned guy who believes one should always follow the laws of the countries or states I visit. If they don't want citrus fruits imported then don't bring them in. Pretty simple.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

As long as the produce is in its original bags as a commercial product it’s usually no issue. Keep your receipts if they want proof. I’ve never been harassed in my trailer.

They are touchy about citrus fruit from non-commercial sources because of citrus greening disease. It’s spread by a tiny fly. Commercial stuff in its packaging should be ok.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
This FAQ indicates they inspect not necessarily confiscate:
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Ext...rders_faq.html

I'd hate to lose all our new groceries!
Old 01-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Agree re follow the rules totally. I think the best thing to do is keep it and have it all out for them to easily inspect. If they think something isn't safe so be it...we don't want to bring something bad in of course. Good to know it's not usually an issue. I don't think I have the receipts anymore but they are welcome to look and make sure it's all good.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Here you go:

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/factsh...gies_to_CA.pdf

Just be clear and confident when you tell them what you have, including amount and it should be fine.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sacramento , California
I have crossed the border into California (usually from Oregon, sometimes from Nevada) pulling my 27FQ at least twice a month this year. I haven't been searched. My sister has been crossing it much longer, first in her C-class moho and now in her 12' cabover truck camper, and has been "searched" exactly once in 5 years. They only looked in the fridge, and they let her keep everything in it. My stepmother was stopped awhile back in her station wagon, and they made her toss some fresh asparagus that came from her garden.

All this suggests to me that this is more of a job creation scheme for the People's Republic of California than anything else, but whatever. They are supposed to be looking for raw produce that could carry pests and infect California crops. Anything that's been prepared (eg a beet salad, or a jar of preserves) should be fine. As others have said, a grocery store label goes a long way too.
shucklemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

The main concern is ‘home grown’ stuff that may not be properly treated against agricultural pests. It’s by no means job creation. Citrus, for example, is billions in agriculture in the state. We’re fighting some interesting diseases. I can’t move home grown citrus out of my area because of this problem. They are are quite serious about the problem.

Other politics, yeah, I’m still irritated as hell about some of the stuff going on in the people’s republic of California. This is not the place to discuss.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The main concern is ‘home grown’ stuff that may not be properly treated against agricultural pests. It’s by no means job creation. Citrus, for example, is billions in agriculture in the state. We’re fighting some interesting diseases. I can’t move home grown citrus out of my area because of this problem. They are are quite serious about the problem.

Other politics, yeah, I’m still irritated as hell about some of the stuff going on in the people’s republic of California. This is not the place to discuss.
Not trying to make a political comment. My point is, no citrus (or anything else for that matter) will be stopped if the whole process involves asking drivers a single question and not searching vehicles. I suppose my family could be unusually lucky, only having been searched twice after years of commuting, but I doubt it.
shucklemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by goholoholo View Post
Hey all,

We are packing up to leave for California from Oregon via Crescent City. Someone here in Oregon just reminded us of the border stop where they check to see if you have any produce. I've driven through it 1000 times in a single vehicle and always been waved through with an affirmative no to having any produce in the vehicle. A local just said...oh boy you could totally be stopped in a trailer and searched. I just read an article that says 20M private vehicles get searched at these borders annually. Do I really have to dump all the produce we just stocked up on?? Has anyone had any experience with it?

I have never been searched crossing since 1966 with a RV since 2006. They ask one question have any fruit? No Thanks have a safe trip. Drive off
Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I would venture a guess is that the questions and "search" are also based on your license plates to determine the likelihood that you could have produce from a region that they need to keep pests from entering the state.
It is a real threat and concern for the agriculture community...even Florida...been stopped there 4 times.
So google the states to see what they are watching for and be ready to state what you have. No big deal, and it is pretty clear for anyone with access to the internet (i.e. this forum) to figure out.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good advice so far.

Just tell the truth, and don't stress about this IMO.

Throwing out some fruit and vegetables, once in a while, is part of life.

Avoid analysis paralysis.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
That's a great chart, bweybright!
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
That's a great chart, bweybright!
X2

They've looking for garden produce. Note, plants from a nursery, ask for a special receipt to transit interstate.
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
medford , OR
We just went to california with our 30' and they didnt get searched. They did ask if we had firewood.
bvrs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I have been waived thru many times & my trailer has been searched several times. Once they confiscated some limes that had discolored rind. All of these agents have been polite, respectful and the one who took my limes was apologetic. They don't care about tomatoes, lettuce or onions and made no attempt to look around the trailer, just the produce in our fridge.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
We were stopped in our trailer this summer (CO plates) and they were friendly enough. We did lose all our oranges and multiple lbs of awesome cherries, which we were quite sad about. All other produce was fine to bring in.

No ill will against any agent or agency, btw. I’ve seen imported pests destroy entire species of ornamental trees in a region.
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shucklemoon View Post
All this suggests to me that this is more of a job creation scheme for the People's Republic of California than anything else, but whatever. They are supposed to be looking for raw produce that could carry pests and infect California crops.
Your suggestion that protecting California's agriculture industry (and backyard orchards and gardens) from invasive pest species is a "job creation scheme" should not pass without consideration.

<<California’s Border Protection Stations (BPS) are the first line of defense in our pest exclusion efforts. At these stations, vehicles are inspected for commodities infested with invasive species. California established its first agricultural inspection stations in the early 1920s. Today there are 16 of these facilities located on the major highways entering the State (see interactive map). At these stations, vehicles and commodities are checked to ensure they are pest free and meet all regulatory requirements.

Most years, more than 20 million private vehicles and 7 million commercial vehicles were inspected at the BPS. From these vehicles, inspectors rejected over 82,000 lots of plant material (fruits, vegetables, plants, etc.) because they were in violation of California or federal plant quarantine laws.>>

To minimize delays entering California:

1) Have all plant material—including fruits, vegetables, plants, hay, and firewood—packed for easy access.

2) Ensure the driver knows what is in the vehicle and where it is packed.

3) Ensure the driver has keys or knows the combination for all door locks.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #19
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
These responses are all over the board, & only some are helpful.

As a CA resident since 1963 with one or more road trips out of state every year since then, I can tell you it is real, & they will make you turn over (dump) or consume the produce at the check stop if declared - & that includes CA produce purchased out of state. They also do random inspections of vehicles regardless of the driver saying no produce.

IMHO anyone who would suggest not declaring it is foolhardy, & risks further action, as these are law enforcement officers at the checks.

One year we'd brought some clearly marked CALIFORNIA peaches back from OK thinking that they'd be okay - but NOPE!

I got them because the produce which CA growers send out of CA is 2x or more as big & much better stuff, then what we get here in the supermarkets. While the Ag officer agreed & was surprised at the size of these CA grown peaches vs what she sees in the markets - she said she still can't let it through, but we could pull over to the side & eat as much as we wanted. So the kids & I chowed down, then moved on.

My suggestion - don't stock up on produce before you leave, & just visit a CA market to enjoy our 2nd rate fruit & veggies left for us by the growers here! LOL

PS - Note that the produce chart linked in another post above is from April 2017, so there could be changes since then.

PSS - the CA grown Peaches noted above were all with the CA grown stickers on them & still in the original bag, but were still not allowed in. So ignore the comments herein about that being okay, & instead go by the original current 2020 info directly from CA Ag Dept.

Safe Travels,
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
California Bug Stations!

Having gone through these California Agricultural Inspections at least 100 times with the big truck I can say that the above posts are pretty accurate. Chances are that most of your produce stash came from California in the first place and will not be an issue. As with everything in Ca. it is more restrictive on what is “allowed”. So, as far as any produce is concerned, if you have anything (especially citrus) from Az., Tx., Fla., and such or anything grown anywhere out of the U.S. it may have to given up. If you tell them you have any! Actually I’ve never seen an RV being searched but have seen plenty of small trucks and enclosed trailers being looked at. Mainly they are for looking for someone attempting to circumvent the probably expensive inspection that California requires and bring in a quantity for resale. Also it’s not just produce that raises an eyebrow! Anything agricultural! Those bales of hay on top of your horse trailer could be a problem!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote