Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Oregon Again

We're embarking on another adventure to our northern neighbor in late May. Yay!
This time were checking out some of the sights east of the Cascades, with the "Area 33" rally as one of our anchor stops before heading out. We have family in Hood River, so it couldn't be more convenient.
From there, we'll head down (and up) to Wallowa Lake (hopefully armed with lots of new travel info. from our fellow aliens) and then back to CA via Baker City, Clyde Holliday SP near John Day, and Goose Lake SP.
Right now we're poring through maps and books ("Roadside Geology of Oregon" and "Oregon's Dry Side" by Alan D. St. John.)
After re-watching Ken Burns' "Lewis and Clark The Journey of the Corps of Discovery" it's going to be great to see some of the Oregon Trail.
No doubt many of you have done this trip, or one similar, and we'd love any input.
In the meantime, we've decided to trade out our OEM Goodyears for Michelin's and some cool new wheels. Reading about all the blowouts gave me the heebiejeebies and Terry's all for the upgrade.
Here's to getting on the road, flu masks and all!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Page Springs CG in Malhuer NWR should not be missed. Dry camp, just east of French Glen, south of Burns. There is a hook-up site near there where a AS get together is happening in the fall, but do it at Page Springs. You should be able to un hook and drive the Steens Mtn. loop road...incredible! We came through a couple of weeks ago; still cold/
You should hit it right on. The swallows and the river are incredible. John Day Country a must, also.
We may see you, going down in late May.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Mike! That sounds amazing and we'll definitely consider adding it to our itinerary. Fabulous info.
Keep us posted on your travels and we may at least be able to wave in passing!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Have a great trip! See you at Area 33!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We made a couple of trips through Oregon. Still learning about the state. Learned about the Oregon Trail when I read about it when I was a kid, but didn't get there until a few years ago. We may be there in August, so I'll be following your adventures and learning more.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a great trip! We had a brief sojourn through Oregon several years ago, in a rental unit, are going back in the Interstate next year. On our to-do list is to go salmon fishing. We were fascinated by all the to-hire folks who take you out, then clean and filet your fish for you (we are not fisher-people). Some of the campgrounds out there actually have smokers you can use!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
Have a great trip! See you at Area 33!
Thanks Claudia--we're looking forward to seeing you and Don again.
And Michelle! And meeting the rest of the gang.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Desert??

Janet-

We've done the eastern side twice, and it is such a contrast to western Oregon.. Really is a desert, and looks like sets from old cowboy movies...

Great learning was: There are no "Falls" in Klamath Falls.. Could have skipped that one..

Biggest Regret: We stopped short of driving all the way up to Crater Lake.. Apparently we missed a lot.

Best place to poke around: Bend/SunRiver area, but hard to see and do while hooked up to trailer. Lots to do on foot, even.

Interesting Drive: Along the Columbia River from Portland past Hood River.. Windy, waterfalls, surprises and great scenery

Enjoy the trip!

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post

Biggest Regret: We stopped short of driving all the way up to Crater Lake.. Apparently we missed a lot.
We've been to Crater Lake and it's nice, but I didn't think it was so spectacular as to be a lot better than all the other sights to see. It's a big round lake with mountains in the background. So you didn't miss that much.

My wife didn't agree with me either.

Gene
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Crater Lake not that spectacular?? Not sure what you were smoking Gene, but your wife was right. Here is just one of many pictures I have taken there.

FLYNCLD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	79460  
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Well we've been to Crater Lake (not towing) and it was a very blue and lovely experience. Not on the agenda this time, but I do recommend a glimpse if you're in the area. Wowza photo, FLYNCLD.
And John, the Columbia Gorge drive from Portland to Hood River is one of our favorites. What a beautiful part of the world.
We're lucky to have family there who likes to exhaust us with hikes and mountain biking. We don't dare go during the winter for fear we'll end up skiing down some deadly run on Mt. Hood. Oh yeah, Terry reminds me we did do that. I've blocked it out...
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Keep them coming!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
East of the Cascades is truly spectacular. There is of course the high desert, then when you get way east you can find the Steens and Strawberry Mountains just to name a few. The John Day area, the list goes on and on!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Oregon State Parks are amoung the best in the country. As you travel, try to stay in one every chance you get.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
East of the Cascades is truly spectacular. There is of course the high desert, then when you get way east you can find the Steens and Strawberry Mountains just to name a few. The John Day area, the list goes on and on!
There are so many amazing places to visit--or just appreciate on the drive-by...
In the meantime, being a pitiful blogger, I've decided not to blog this trip and will keep inconsistent updates on this thread.
We're "on-the-road" thread addicts (our second favorite fixes are the anti-Tundrite threads...) and appreciate all we've gleaned from the posts many of you have submitted while out and about.
And yes, Relentless, Oregon State Parks really are the best!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I wasn't smoking anything at Crater Lake. Maybe that was the problem!

Gene
Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Janet,

Sorry to not be of greater help when you last asked for neat places to look at when you are in the area, but I have been away from the computer for a few weeks.
Depending on the time and the weather, Lost Lake is a great visit, as any of the small high lakes on the west side of the valley, as a greater majority of them are a mile or less of a walk from a road (not nice enough for the Airstream). The lower elevations have a lot of activities in Hood Rive and The Dalles, enough to keep you busy for weeks. Don’t worry about the winds in the Columbia River Gorge, the only white knuckles That I have seen are on underpowered, over height RV’s. If you see tall waves with whitecaps on the river, drive a little slower.

Have fun in Trout Lake
Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Yup to all the comments. Here's the Columbia Gorge on the east end a couple of weeks ago west of Maryhill S.P. on Oregon I-84.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0963.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	79464  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks Steve and Mike!
This trip is growing many new "legs" as we read your recommendations and the descriptions in our books. So many incredible geological phenomena-- and we can't pass the chance to visit Malheur since we'll be there at prime birding time.
Aren't we lucky to have these silver units transporting us to places we would never visit otherwise?
Even luckier to have all the forum input that keeps us on the road.
Many thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
I love this part: Organizing! Yes! Sanitizing! Yes! (Well, that's not usually a pre-trip issue, but we had some unacceptable odor emissions that required intervention--a mere toilet gasket. Phew and whew.)
We'll stop at an RV park in Redding (HWY 5) on the way. (Zzzzz...)Hoping for an easy in and out en-route. Then on to Tumalo (HWY 97) near Bend,OR, which will have recently hosted a WBCCI rally. After that we'll head to Hood River, where family will take us on a hike to Dog Mountain, awash in wildflowers.
On Friday we'll head to Area 33, looking forward to meeting some very questionable characters who clearly know how to enjoy unquestionably excellent food and drink. Can't wait!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
I know you can not see everything in one trip I am Planning on two weeks in the Owyhee Canyon Country in the extreme South East Oregon in July! We will be spending most of our time on BLM land boondocking. Please pray for cloudy weather in July it's the only time the wife and I could go together If we have to we'll even take some rain
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote