Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Yes but Really is bigger than Little.

Sorry, Bob!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
And colorado wants to legalize schrooms...T. O. T. I. D. O. Dejavu.

As for the "retreat or elevate", agree it needs to be done. However in the russian river issue, it floods as bad 100 miles upstream in ukiah as it does in gurneville-monte rio. This is a river flow issue not a rising tidal elevation issue.

If i remember correctly there was years ago a scheme to pump RR flow over the hill to the Eel river drainage...like it could handle the additional flow. Lake sonoma helped a lot in the lower RR control.

In the end i, like you indicated, feel the elevation even of the businesses in Gurneville is the answerer. Flood control mitigation for such a small river is a challenge.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Heading to Asheville...maybe Sierra Nevada brewing tomorow. Will winterize monday a.m. and head to TN..

Had great day in downtown Greenville today...warm and sunny and !ots to see. Larry Halprin did a great job. This is great downtown.
B
Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Sierra Nevada Brewery is really cool. And they were fair to the community when they moved in. They do not sell their beer at the brewery any cheaper than any store (including grocery stores) in town....and they sell hops to the local brewers at their cost so they are on a fair stage when it comes to pricing.
Unlike another western brewery who set up shop in town.
Have dinner downtown Asheville. Any restaurant that has shrimp cheese grits is my go to when there.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
BWEYBRIGHT, thanks. I'm aware of SN from a friend in Tehema, Ca but only recently heard of the Asheville facility. Folks in Greenville have been saying it is awesome...can't wait. Living in Eugene (Ninkasi etc) another microbrew hotbed area like your area, it will be interesting to compare.

Thanks for the tips!

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Sierra Nevada Brewery is really cool. And they were fair to the community when they moved in. They do not sell their beer at the brewery any cheaper than any store (including grocery stores) in town....and they sell hops to the local brewers at their cost so they are on a fair stage when it comes to pricing.
Unlike another western brewery who set up shop in town.
Have dinner downtown Asheville. Any restaurant that has shrimp cheese grits is my go to when there.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
My pleasure, after spending many work days and developing via work an awesome friend in Asheville, and many across North Carolina in general. I have bridged the gap to the surprise of many locals..they think I live there.

I get your trip, and have made it from where you are to the west coast at least 20 times over the years, half with a trailer in tow.

PM me if you want my thoughts on what to consider for routes, North, middle, or southern based on time of year, or what you are inclined to see (I personally have see the corn palace 4 times and might even to it again!!! just so you know my mindset) or wondering direct websites for state DOT to plan for weather as I have done it in all 4 seasons.
I do just not wish to have my travel experiences berated by others with more stars than me on this site, but am willing to share with your for your trip back west.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Heading to Asheville...maybe Sierra Nevada brewing tomorow. Will winterize monday a.m. and head to TN..
. . .
Sounds good. Please have a glass of beer on me!

Memories of Anchor Steam at the No Name in Sausalito, back in the days . . .

Have fun.

Peter

PS -- Asheville weather FYI:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...53&BackDay.y=5
Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #148
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Looks like a challenging day to drive to Asheville, I am sorry to say:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/so...r-radar?play=1

Travel safe.

Peter
Old 03-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
EWe went early in reasonable weather and grabbed a beer at the Sierra Nevada facility in Mills Creek this side of Nashville. We never been to the Chico facility to compare, but this co is surely flush with $$$.

Started to rain a few miles from camp...flipped on the weather channel to discover we're on the edge of a tornado akert. Wonderful. Seems to have mostly passed just to the S...whew!

Chattanooga tomorrow..lows of 24 better than the 17 at Nashville!
Old 03-04-2019, 02:19 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad you missed the worst of that front that blew through "Asheville" and hopefully dodged any tornado activity.

FYI just noticed this Crossing Texas thread, and its recent favorable comments about the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, which I think you mentioned before?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ry-191890.html

FYI for the return trip.

Good luck winterizing, and safe travels,

Peter
Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We are blessed to be safe. Our thoughts and prayers to those affected by the tornado to the south of us.
Bob
Old 03-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter thanks. I'll take a read.

Staying another day in Greenville as temps in TN and MO are marginally improving. If i see 25 projected, I'll keep the heat on, remove the panel and plug in the small space heater pointed at the panel opening.

Nooga will be target for Tues.

QUOTE=OTRA15;2216332]Glad you missed the worst of that front that blew through "Asheville" and hopefully dodged any tornado activity.

FYI just noticed this Crossing Texas thread, and its recent favorable comments about the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, which I think you mentioned before?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ry-191890.html

FYI for the return trip.

Good luck winterizing, and safe travels,

Peter[/QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #153
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
12 F in Washington MO this morning?

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

Did I read someplace that you had bolted for there, via a detour in the Appalachians?

Happy trails,

Peter
Old 03-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #154
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Not sure if you are up in Missouri yet, but the cold weather finally broke. No below freezing temps for the next several days. Cold for sure, but above 30. Hope your trip is going great.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You are certainly not catching any breaks west of you, Bob, for the next week or so, sorry to say.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...10temp.new.gif

Hope things are settling down in Washington.

Peter

PS — Abilene FYI:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

Temps OK but looks like storms coming up see the red Thunder line a few days out.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter, thanks, yes they are. We have been able to spend significant quality time with the many cousins and that has been good for us.

Thanks for the weather reports, very much appreciated. Sitting here, looking at the map with an eye toward Tx, with that mid west thunder cracking and the torrential rain pounding. This may be a laundry day.

Please keep the weather reports coming.
B
Old 03-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This national moving radar is good to check for the big picture:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/na...r-radar?play=1

You can hover over a region and zoom in, but that may not be easy on the Kindle so here is Texas and the SW:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/we...r-radar?play=1

To these eyes, the moving radar maps say a lot . . . much better than printed reports and forecasts. Very handy for a snapshot of "the road ahead."

To pick a random city a few "sees" down the road, the temps at the bottom of this monthly forecast for Albuquerque look pretty good in terms of the Low temps in blue:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/al...weather/349680

You can change location in the search box at the top, after which choose "Month" to get a similar report for each location.

Are you thinking of "summerizing" before you get to the left coast? I would transit Texas first, I think . . .

Enjoy the time with your extended family, it is the best fuel on the market IMO.

Peter
Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Outstandng, thanks Peter! Again , very much appreciated!

[Are you thinking of "summerizing" before you get to the left coast? I would transit Texas first, I think . . . ]

ha ha...who knows tx may still be i play. I wish i could post a few pics sent from eug neighbors. The tables are of crewell bakery...looks like sheet cakes
Summarized Thurs am early as we needed hot showers before the 10 am svc. All looks good shead, maybe a 32 day...i can live with that. My experience is that with the alu cover off and a small space heater, with the kit/ vanity doors open, of course CW removed, tank heaters on, I'm good to about 24-25

I'll winterize again if i have to. Since i have heat it isn't critical that the tubes be as dry as for unheated & freezing storage. The little 12vdc inflator works like a charm...and of course i don't have to be concerned with the BW ck valve for now

[Enjoy the time with your extended family, it is the best fuel on the market IMO.]. Thanks, spot on.

B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	335237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	335238  

Old 03-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #159
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
At least that 1.5” rain yesterday washed most of the salt off of the roads! The wind was unbelievable though. Some of the stronger winds we’ve seen here in years.
I think we will hit 30 tonight, but that’s a lot better than last week.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob you are thinking of bolting west on I-70? I forgot how far north you are already.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Euge...8!2d38.5581072

Weather might permit something like this?

Peter