Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
OR Shakespeare Festival - 2006

We just returned from Ashland, OR, where we spent four days completely immersed in the world of theater For those who don't know the OSF is one of the top theater companies in the country, and people travel from all over the west coast to see the plays in a little rural/university town in southern Oregon.

We stayed at Emmigrant Lake Campground again. This is a full hookup RV park inside a county park on the shore of the Emmigrant Lake resevoir. Didn't even need reservations this time of year. I got my OR fishing license, and caught a little trout, but I let him go because the guy where I got the fishing license warned me that they had put out an advisory just a week or so before to NOT eat fish from the lake because of mercury levels

Between fishing and reading books by the lake (in the shade of the Caravel) we saw six plays at the festival - The Importance of Being Ernest, Winter's Tale, Diary of Anne Frank, Intimate Apparel, UP, and Bus Stop. All of them were excellent, as always. Winter's Tale was the only Shakespeare this time, but we'll be going back int he fall to catch the rest of the plays this season, including some more Shakespear then. UP was our favorite for this round, it was just incredible, very hard to describe. The best plays always seem to be the ones that you don't know what to expect, and you aren't even sure what you got when you got done. But it was inspiring, uplifting, and a little sad all at once. We also got to see a play reading, sit in on a lecture by the director of Intimate Apparel, and got a backstage tour.

Last year I sold my Mustang to a guy who works on the backstage crew at the OSF, and so we met up with him and visited for a bit, and he got permission for us to hang around and watch them do a set change from Winter's Tale to Anne Frank. It was incredible watching them take down one set and bring in the pieces for the three story tall Anne Frank set and put it all in place and test the lighting and place the props. Since we have our own theater company, getting a peek behind the scenes was a blast!

We had a great time in the trailer. All appliances worked fine, we watched DVDs on the laptop piped through the stereo for better sound, and we had a little water leak, but it was just a drip at a rubber hose patch in the copper pipe. No biggie, just needed to tighten the clamps. Mostly we sat around outside and enjoyed the lake.

Trips like this are such a huge satisfaction to us. This is our fourth season with the trailer, and after replacing the axel, half the floor, and most of the appliances, it is now just a matter of taking it out and using it, and there is little or no surprises, and I no longer come home with a long to-do list. In fact my to-do list consists entirely of figuring out why the right turn signal only works intermittantly, and I suspect the plug to the TV. It's a good feeling knowing that about the only thing I need to do before we go camping again is wash it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Stephanie, what a happy, upbeat post I've always wanted to get out to this festival. More, I always wanted to take a summer Shakespeare course there. . .one of my unfulfilled wishes, but maybe we will make it to Ashland yet. Your descriptions made me smile Thanks~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Ashland is great, and especially wonderful before all the crowds arrive in the summer... if you are staying in or near Ashland you might also want to take in the Oregon Cabaret... they have delightful musical/comedy performances ~ Tickets are sometimes available at the last minute, but their box office is run by volunteers so sometimes frustrating to contact someone! They do have a nice chef and have luncheons and dinners as well. Parking is available in the city parking lot for autos. I would avoid pulling a trailer through town proper to minimize frustration. Here is there website: http://www.oregoncabaret.com/
Claudia
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote