Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
OR-ID-MT-UT-CO Recommendations?

I'm gettng ready to embark on a month-long road trip with my dog Skipper, my mountain bike, road bike, stand-up paddleboard, and hammock. I have the basic framework figured out, but I like to fill in the blanks as I go along....
So, I'm looking for some recommendations: routes, camping, hiking, biking, beautiful things and places I should see along the way....

Bend, OR: I discovered Elk Lake last year and want to spend more time there. Any recommendations for hiking/biking/camping in the area?

Bend to Deary, ID: from Bend I'll be visiting family in Deary. What route would you recommend? I prefer scenic and I'm not afraid of hills or curves

Deary to Hamilton, MT: How is the drive over Lolo Pass? Any good places to camp along here?

Hamilton to Moab, UT: This is where I'm really wide open. I have a little over a week to get from Hamilton to near Moab to meet up with friends and then travel into Colorado. I'm considering Flaming Gorge Nat'l Scenic Byway, Arches NP, Kodachrome Basin State Park, or maybe go into Wyoming. The possibilities are endless. I spent time last year near Big Sky, MT and in Yellowstone, so I don't want to repeat that route again this year.
IDEAS??? I just can't decide....

Colorado Springs, CO to Home (Chico, CA): Again, I have about a week to make it home. Suggestions in Colorado? I might use this time to explore southern Utah a little as well....

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Becky
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
For a scenic route to Deary, I would suggest highway 26 east out of Redmond, OR to Baker City then north to La Grande on I84 (not particularly scenic), then 82 to Enterprise, OR and then Hwy 3 to Clarkston, WA. Very scenic, lots of curves, awesome "Rattlesnake Grade" from Boggins Oasis to Fields Springs State Park in Washington. Then head over thru Lewiston on 12 until you hit 3 again and go north to Deary. This is not by any means a direct route, but definitely scenic.

When you get to Enterprise, try heading south to Joseph, Oregon and spend some time at Wallowa Lake State Park. Beautiful... looks like Switzerland... or say they say.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
From Enterprise, OR you could also go down to Hell's Canyon, cross the Snake River and then drive up to Cambridge, Idaho. From there go north to McCall, Idaho on Payette Lake. You might get lucky and get a camping spot at Ponderosa State Park on the Lake. From there go down Hwy 55 to Banks and then go east to Stanley, Idaho (too many beautiful places/mtn lakes to camp along this stretch), then over to Sun Valley, then south to Salt Lake City and Moab.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
In Col Spgs, don't miss a berry salad or buffalo burger at the Keg in downtown Manitou or Hungry Bear for breakfast in Woodland Park. If you're into hiking...try the incline in Manitou (good luck!)...so much to do in that area. ALso the Air Force Academy allows bikers and hikers on the property until 6pm...lots there and will see lots of wildlife. Don't miss Pikes Peak, was there last week and it didn't have snow yet.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
colorado..i live in the arkansas river valley about an hour and a half away from the springs. great area for mtn. biking, hiking,we have more miles than you could discover in a life time for mtn. biking and hiking and if you're a hardcore hiker you could hike to the top of over a dozen 14er's that encircle the valley. mtn. biking on the colorado or rainbow trails or shorter runs right out of downtown and that doesn't include the endless stretches of backroads. we have plenty of good camping areas from full hookups to boondocking and you could put the sup on the river and cruise some fairly easy water or just surf the playholes in our play park in town (salida) or take it out to one of the nearby lakes ...if this is of any interest to you i could help you with more specifics
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Drive over the Lolo Pass is a good one. Lots of forest service campgrounds along the way. Some right on the Locsha river. Hamilton is a nice town. Since I fish, I spent some time on the Locsha and stayed at Anglers roost and fished the Bitterroot. Forest service campgrounds south of Hamilton.
Great high volcanic drive out of Sisters. Would be a good trip on a bike. Take the bike up on the car and ride the prettiest area. Camp Sherman area has lots of campgrounds and would be a nice riding area. Again, I fish, so I go there.
Moab. Guess you will be hitting the rocky bike trails? The drive from Moab along the yellowstone up to the interstate is good for a few miles if you go that way. We did the dinner/boat ride thing one night with the light trucks along the canyon. I liked it a lot.l
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Hi Becky,
We just returned from the Bend area yesterday and it was BEAUTIFUL. Two areas I would suggest would be the Blue Bay Campground at Suttle Lake and the Camp Sherman area on the Metolius River. The weather was amazing! 80 degrees during the day and down to 42 at night...NO mosquitoes either!!

The first few photos are from Smiling River:

I've never added photos before...hope this works!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Thanks for the feedback!
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote