Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
..... when I was a kid it was taught that the fort had been long reclaimed by the river. Then just a few years ago, the whole footprint was found on land and is being excavated now. They are finding artifacts upon artifacts.

Pat
The excavations are ongoing and you can see them, and the visitor center exhibits were good about explaining that. I also like the partial reconstructions that allow you to envision where things were. If the park service would have had an interpreter out around the works they would have a home run. Skip the movie though, it was astonishing worthless- but better than the flute playing non-sense I saw one time at Chaco. The NP at Jamestown was far and away the best historical stop. OTOH, the tour at the Governor's mansion was so bad I was wishing I could leave mid way through. It amounted to a lot of talk about how the governor's family felt about colonial living with a very thin veneer of larger context. I couldn't make myself do any of the other tours after that so there may have been gems hidden that I didn't see. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going, but realize for a historical attraction it is very thin on history.

Oh, I should also say that the expensive sandwich was offset by the educators discount on the ticket .

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Change in destination

Just booked four nights at First Landing SP. Anyone have the scoop on the place?

and the
My Blog

Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I was at Williamsburg back in 1971, when I was just a kid, and too young to really appreciate the history of the area. We are headed back that direction late summer, sad to hear it is so commercialized but we'll probably stop anyway.

Virginia is so full of history, though, you're almost certain to find things that mesmerize you. Anything run by the National Park Service, rather than private vendors, seems to be more thoroughly researched and the employees enthusiastically able to answer any question in great detail.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm impressed by your bicycling. Keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I was at Williamsburg back in 1971, when I was just a kid, and too young to really appreciate the history of the area. We are headed back that direction late summer, sad to hear it is so commercialized but we'll probably stop anyway.

Virginia is so full of history, though, you're almost certain to find things that mesmerize you. Anything run by the National Park Service, rather than private vendors, seems to be more thoroughly researched and the employees enthusiastically able to answer any question in great detail.

Sounds like a great trip. I'm impressed by your bicycling. Keep us posted.

Maggie
Don't be discouraged by my comments, I think they have come across much more harshly than I meant for them to sound. You will have a good time.

The biking is an adjunct to the weight loss, but it is also a great way to see the sites. I spent some $ and got a computer with cadence and that has turned out to be a great help. It takes a while to get used to the higher RPMs but it really reduces fatigue and extends distances. It also is really helping out my knees which are not all that great anymore.

and the
My Blog

Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Just booked four nights at First Landing SP. Anyone have the scoop on the place?
Great news - that's a wonderful park; unusual that it is in the middle of the city but remains secluded as far as campers are concerned.

Great bike trails - you can ride to the middle of the VA Beach boardwalk or stay back in the forested dunes. Many, many live oaks shelter you from the sun and your neighbors. Walk over the boardwalks to the shore and walk to your heart's content. Cast a line into the bay (the ocean is around the cape). Watch all the ships coming and going through Hampton Roads.

It's a little pricey, but you ought to take a day trip over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel - better yet, take your rig in that direction after you leave First Landing. Camp at Kiptopeake State Park - built at the site of the old ferry landing. They used old concrete ships for the breakwater - you can't see those everyday!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Thumbs up First Landing State Park

After departing the Jamestown area I arrived at First Landing State Park in VA Beach. The drive in was kind of white knuckled at times because of heavy rain and at times hail paired with unfamiliar roads and heavy traffic. The rain stopped about 5 minutes after I got to the park. The park is pretty nice. It looks like the VA state parks are well kept, but for the price they ought to be.

First Landing has a great trail system and I was able to ride close to 20 miles through surprisingly varied scenery just puttering around yesterday. It is supposed to rain so I will be hanging about the camper mostly. Tomorrow I think I might hop on the bike and ride down to the boardwalk and see whats happening. Sunday, its back on the road, but not to far. Destination Yorktown! which will wrap up the visit to the area.

This morning I was able to score, even at this late date a weeks reservation at Prince William Forest NP. I will be using it as a base to visit historic sites and to take several day trips into DC. It looks like I can get away with taking the bike in using the train so I will probably do that. Suggestions for day trips from the park are welcome!

I have taken some pictures, but my card reader is broken so posting images will have to wait a while longer.

and the
My Blog

Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
DC Area trains and bikes...

Quote:

This morning I was able to score, even at this late date a weeks reservation at Prince William Forest NP. I will be using it as a base to visit historic sites and to take several day trips into DC. It looks like I can get away with taking the bike in using the train so I will probably do that. Suggestions for day trips from the park are welcome!
Has anyone done this? It looks like there are issues with weekends. Advice anyone?

and the
My Blog

Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Has anyone done this? It looks like there are issues with weekends. Advice anyone?
Hi Rodney,

Here's a link to the Metro's bike information: Metro - Getting Around - Bike 'N Ride

The system is pretty bike friendly as long as it's not rush hours.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
Certifiable

. , .
Cool Interesting ...

The OSS (a predecessor of the CIA) used Prince William Forest to train spies during WWII.

"Operation Summer Shenanigans"

Gone AWOL, eh?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I'm greatly enjoying reading about your travels - thanks for sharing. Virginia (and all the Blue Ridge and surrounding lands) is one of our favorite places, too, and your sharing will be valuable when we get up there later this year.

Reading your sharing reminds me what it's really all about for us - taking off on the next adventure!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #25
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Rodney -

The Marine Corps Museum at Quantico is new and highly regarded - we have not been there yet, but should be interesting.

Also, Manassas is just up the road - well, 30 miles or so. This is anniversary time for the battle.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Last day at First Landing

The park here has been interesting for sure, glad I did it: good trails, the beach, OK campsites. Had a great ride today; rode through the park to check out the board walk. Ended up being a 20 mile round trip. It was an interesting place, lots of people. Not really where I would vacation, but apparently a good number of folks like it. The King Neptune statue is HUGE!

Its approaching sunset and still no rapture, so I guess I will plan on heading west (really the only option without a boat) to Yorktown tomorrow.

and the
My Blog

Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Thumbs up Yorktown

Rode from Newport News campground through the Battlefield today, ended up just over 26 miles. Great trails and road but YIKES the humidity and heat are back in force. The film at the visitor center was pretty good: it actually gave an overview of what happened and why it was important. Much better than the PC crap that has taken over at most of the parks. The acting was pretty cheesy and the portrayal of the English was over the top, but still informative.

All and all a good stay and a stop I would recommend. Tomorrow I head up to Prince William Forest outside of Quantico for the Memorial Day weekend. I have high hopes for the destination and day trips. Fingers crossed.

and the
My Blog

Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
History question (this should be easy). When the British surrendered to Wahington, what song did the British band play?

Gene