Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Tifton , Georgia
Open or not open, that is the question

So after coast to coast travels I have a question as to whether or not your suppose to travel with windows or roof vents open. I've seen both. Side windows opened or cracked, fantastic fan vents open etc. I've always thought to keep all sealed for the possibility of damage. Thoughts, experience ?
RoadHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I keep the windows closed tight. I closed the rooftop vents also but a few weeks ago while on the road I looked back and saw the forward vent open. We had neglected to close it. It was open for several hours of highway speed travel so I guess they were sturdy enough to handle it. I've been re-thinking my philosophy now and think that it's OK to travel with them open if you wish to allow ventilation while traveling.

Still not sure on this though.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used to travel with my roof vent open with a Maxxair cover in my old SOB 100% of the time.

With my AS, the airflow over the trailer seems to draw in dust and exhaust fumes, so I travel with them closed.

Windows always closed tight.....open is a good way to lose them.

Experiment with your vents. If you don't have Maxxairs (or similar), I wouldn't keep them open more than an inch or two to reduce beffeting of the cover.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Red face

I leave roof vents open in hot weather. I have Max Aire covers over the vents which help protect from rain and also wind damage to the vent covers. Have never had a problem. Cross my fingers.
Ron
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have MaxAirs on the 77 and 89. I think I could leave the vents open, but the vacuum would likely draw in road dust through the cracks around doors and windows, as well as underneath the trailer. The 62 does not have MaxAirs and I would not want to break the vent covers or lifters by traveling with them open.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHungry View Post
So after coast to coast travels I have a question as to whether or not your suppose to travel with windows or roof vents open. I've seen both. Side windows opened or cracked, fantastic fan vents open etc. I've always thought to keep all sealed for the possibility of damage. Thoughts, experience ?
All windows on a travel trailer, must be closed when on the road.

You can, open the rear side ONLY of the vents, when traveling.

That creates a suction and helps keep the trailer cool, as long as it's in motion.

Opening the front side of a vent, will usually lead to it being ripped off by the wind. They are not designed to have a positive air pressure against the bottom side of them.

Also, having the back side within reason opened when traveling in a rain, will not result in water leaks, since the air is flowing "out" of the trailer, instead of in.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have no roof vents, only front and side opening windows. I don't think I would intentionally travel with them open. Too many things to go wrong.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We close and lock the windows.

We'll often leave the roof vents open, and I know Fantastic Vent at least says it's fine to do so - they're normally mounted so the lid isn't catching the wind as you drive. (Ours have those extra covers (MaxxAir and the like) on them, so I don't worry at all.)

As noted, though, this can draw in dust and dirt - we were at a rally at an airfield earlier this year, and we got a LOT of dust inside the camper from the dirt driveway on the way in. We hadn't really had a problem like this before, but surely at least some dirt is being pulled into the camper.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We forgot to lock/latch a side window. It's easy to do. It flew off, smashed in the freeway. We were lucky it didn't hit anyone or cause an accident.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Tifton , Georgia
Thank's for the thoughts. I'll just keep mine sealed and say heck with the heat. I don't need anything flying off or in the alumbum!
RoadHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I keep the windows closed. I keep the bathroom vent open unless it is really a rainy day. I keep the front vent that is under a maxi cover open in hot weather. I keep the FF closed.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We too have had a window fly off. The dealer had not adjusted the latches, so the forward latch on a side window was loose—this enabled the window to flex too much and it disintegrated. It is auto safety glass, so it crumbles.

Fantastic Fan (now called Vent) says the standard doors can be left open while traveling. I asked someone at FF if they can come off in rare cases and he didn't really answer, but said they are warranteed. The problem is if they come off, you have to seal the hole until you can get a replacement. That's not a chance I like. I think the chance of losing one would increase in a strong tail wind, thunderstorm downdrafts, dust devils and other weather extremes that can come up suddenly. The cover over the OEM assembly FF sells decreases the chance of losing the door substantially.

If you have the fan on exhaust, it is possible to pull in road dirt and dust through cracks—windows that don't fit perfectly, spaces around the various doors and the A/C. If it is raining, the negative air pressure in the trailer may also pull in water through spaces including pinholes in the sealant. If one fan is intake and one exhaust, it may balance the air pressure.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have accidentally left vents open with no ill effects. However, I intend to always close them because the air above highways is pretty dirty and I don't want that grime in the trailer. No one is in the trailer, so I don't care if its hot. Yes the air in the open roof vent is going out, but it is getting replaced by dirty air sneaking in all kinds of cracks. Almost always when we stop, the inside of the trailer is cooler than the outside.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Apparently Ken only travels in winter. If it is hot outside, our trailer is usually hotter than the outside. Medications don't like heat and some dry foods don't either, but I'm still not opening the vents.

A flow through ventilation system like cars and truck have would be best—a filter would solve the dirt problem.

Gene
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Apparently Ken only travels in winter. If it is hot outside, our trailer is usually hotter than the outside. Medications don't like heat and some dry foods don't either, but I'm still not opening the vents.

A flow through ventilation system like cars and truck have would be best—a filter would solve the dirt problem.

Gene
Well, I didn't want to bring this up, but since you did, it might have something to do with the different insulation properties of our two trailers.
Mouse fur does wonders. See, I get cool just thinking about it.

Ken
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
One fur all and all fur one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Well, I didn't want to bring this up, but since you did, it might have something to do with the different insulation properties of our two trailers.
Mouse fur does wonders. See, I get cool just thinking about it.

Ken
I know some mouse furistas have said it acts as insulation, but it is very thin and doesn't seem to have air spaces to act like insulation, so I think it is a myth. Of course if you put your body against fur it will feel warmer than aluminum, but that doesn't indicate it is good insulation. Of course, some people may like to rub up against the mouse fur, but they may have some cat genes. That would be fur out.

Gene
Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
I know some mouse furistas have said it acts as insulation, but it is very thin and doesn't seem to have air spaces to act like insulation, so I think it is a myth.
Gene
It works for mice. I never heard one complain about being cold.

Every time Daisy eats a mouse she says, "That was meowfully warming."

Ken

What are we doing to this poor guy's thread?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Once the question has been answered, things go downhill from there.

Gene
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:

Gene
Is your roof white?

How about your trailer's?

Ken
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

Is your roof white?

How about your trailer's?

Ken
Ok you two. The last time you took a thread off topic it got split and deleted.

I crack my front and back when it's hot out. I like it the same temp as the outside. One because I go in it with the kids when we stop. And two the fridge already works hard enough when it's hot out, why make it work harder than it needs to.

I had my cracked about 2" open through the columbia river gorge with 25 mph+ cross winds and 30 mph+ head winds and they are still there and looking good. I keep them closed under 80 degrees outside temp.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote