Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I would like to leave a vent open, but my wife doesn't believe it won't fly off. If I convinced her it wouldn't and it did, you can imagine the rest. Yes, I could get FF to replace it, but what do we do in the meantime? Aluminum tape I suppose, if the tape stays on. Plus I would have to climb up on the roof and I hate it up there (I am not a height friendly person). My wife won't climb up there even though she would do better than I up on top (and getting down is the worse part).

Cars have had flow through ventilation for decades and from what I read above, it appears that at least the Eddie Bauer model does too. Of course, car companies provided screens. Any other models have that?

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:09 AM   #58
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by robapperson View Post
I have had great success keeping my trailer cool by leaving my front and rear Fantastic Fans open with the rear on exhaust while driving on road. (I have Maxx Air 2 vent covers). Well yesterday I drove 15 miles down a dirt road kicking up massive dust. I could see that the front vent was not seeing any of the dust so I thought it was OK. I did not think that there would be a negative air pressure inside the trailer. It sucked massive dust in from underneath. Inside cabinets, behind drawers, under water heater you can see the dust piled in there. I had caulked and sealed every hole and gap under the trailer I could find, but it still got in in a very bad way. Lesson learned!

Andy at Inland RV addressed this problem years ago based on AL-CAN Hwy experience of others. Had to do with using a pair of furnace filters, counter intuitively. Not roof vents, but windows. Thread and his posts also had DIY gravel guard discussion for that road ( though I understand it is paved in main nowadays).

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #59
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Yes, the Alaska Hwy (hardly anyone calls it the AlCan anymore and people living and working along it call it "the highway") is paved all the way except for construction areas. Very few people use gravel protection though you will often get paint chips and dings on the windshield, but that happens everywhere.

The idea of using furnace filters is a good one, but don't travel with contemporary windows open—the ones that hinge on the top and pop partly out at the bottom. They may get sucked out by a passing truck or shatter in some manner. They are not cheap.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote