Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Windows closed, rear FF vent open ~1/2 inch, Maxxairs on both vents, white roof ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have even thought about running the fan on the rear to draw air through the trailer. But have t yet. Fantastic fans h e to be open 3" us to work.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I had my cracked about 2" open through the columbia river gorge with 25 mph+ cross winds and 30 mph+ head winds and they are still there and looking good. I keep them closed under 80 degrees outside temp.
I suspect that has to do with your trailer being constructed to 1968 manufacting standards. That was a good decade. My wife was constructed in the 60's also.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have the Maxxair vent covers, but still tow with the vents closed. My trailer is always cooler inside than outside when stopping to take a break. It will warm up if sitting in the hot Sun for a long time, but by then we are camped with the air conditioner on or open windows and vents. The mouse fur and vinyl headliner definately helps with the inside temps. Same with my small windows. My small windows can be opened while towing and won't break like the single large windows. I don't tow with my windows open either.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have the Maxxair vent covers, but still tow with the vents closed. My trailer is always cooler inside than outside when stopping to take a break. It will warm up if sitting in the hot Sun for a long time, but by then we are camped with the air conditioner on or open windows and vents. The mouse fur and vinyl headliner definately helps with the inside temps. Same with my small windows. My small windows can be opened while towing and won't break like the single large windows. I don't tow with my windows open either.
Do you make it to the southwest?? My trailer gets to be a sonar when driving in 100+ degree heat. I need some mouse fur in my trailer, Time to set the mouse traps in the barn darn cat keeps eating them though.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I know I left the bathroom roof vent 'cracked' just an inch or so on my old SOB trailer, by the time I had driven down the interstate a few hundred miles, the wind buffeting had caused the lid to completely open. Tried a few different ways while traveling, and soon discovered, traveling with it closed was the only way to go. Didn't take that long to cool or heat the trailer once parked.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Do you make it to the southwest?? My trailer gets to be a sonar when driving in 100+ degree heat. I need some mouse fur in my trailer, Time to set the mouse traps in the barn darn cat keeps eating them though.
Hi, I guess you can say that I live in the South West.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS

Hi, I guess you can say that I live in the South West.
Ok mid southwest, Not California southwest. Although it does get really hot down there. When I went through Idaho a month ago it was 106. I think if I would have had the vents closed it would have been 120 in the trailer.

My new fresh water tank is under the trailer. It was warm enough to take a shower with. The heat off the road had it over 100 degrees.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
.................................................. ..........................
My trailer gets to be a sonar when driving in 100+ degree heat.

.................................................. ..........

Have you told the Navy about this? It could be a break through in Anti Submarine Warfare..

Ken
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think the hottest that we have towed through was Las Vegas, at 117 degrees. We did not stop there. Every where that we have stopped, it was always cooler in our trailer than outside. [except when we were in really cold areas, then it was warmer] It's very common for us to stop and have lunch in our trailer. I know what the outside temps are from my Lincoln's dash board display and what the trailer inside temp is from my digital thermostat. I have been in all of the Western states, Western Canada, and Alaska.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Where we have been with our Airstream.

Hi, we have been to:

California
Oregon
Washington
Nevada
Arizona
Montana
South Dakota
Wyoming
New Mexico
Idaho
Utah
Colorado
Alaska

Alberta
British Columbia
Yukon Territory
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Hi, I think the hottest that we have towed through was Las Vegas, at 117 degrees. We did not stop there. Every where that we have stopped, it was always cooler in our trailer than outside. [except when we were in really cold areas, then it was warmer] It's very common for us to stop and have lunch in our trailer. I know what the outside temps are from my Lincoln's dash board display and what the trailer inside temp is from my digital thermostat. I have been in all of the Western states, Western Canada, and Alaska.
That is our experience also. I think the head liner has the biggest effect. We also generally make and eat our lunch in the trailer when on the road. The only exception is if there is a Runza's in the vicinty. I'm addicted to the original Runza. The people of german heritage around here call them cabbage burgers.

How's that for a seamless thread hijack.

Ken
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
That is our experience also. I think the head liner has the biggest effect. We also generally make and eat our lunch in the trailer when on the road. The only exception is if there is a Runza's in the vicinty. I'm addicted to the original Runza. The people of german heritage around here call them cabbage burgers.

Ken

Hi, I never heard of those. [cabbage burgers] I'm part German, actually I'm a Heinz 57.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
That would be a very tedious job to skin enough mice to cover the walls. The only time my Maxxairs are closed is if the AC is on. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Have you told the Navy about this? It could be a break through in Anti Submarine Warfare..

Ken
Crap I hate spell check "sauna"

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Quote:

Ken

Do you guys run with window covered? did you have that big vent in the middle of the trailer, and do you have a cover for it. Maybe I need to paint my roof white!!!!

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had a discussion with the Fantastic Fan guy about whether the door was more likely to rip off when fully open or open an inch or two. My thought was that the velocity of the air going in (or out) would be higher with the door open less, but I don't know whether he bought that. I think he said it was best to open it more than less.

I mentioned a tailwind before. We discovered a 40-50 mph tailwind increased our gas mileage by about 2 mpg. The opposing forces of wind coming from the front and back would concern me as I wonder if it would twist the door at the hinge.

So far no one has posted about losing an FF OR Maxx door, so that's good.

Jason, painting your roof white would reflect more heat and make a difference. You've got to get those mice before the cat so you can skin them and have mouse fur. Unfortunately, although I like natural things, I think this authentic, natural mouse fur will start to smell after a while.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Quote:
Do you guys run with window covered? did you have that big vent in the middle of the trailer, and do you have a cover for it. Maybe I need to paint my roof white!!!!
Hi,

Do I run with my windows covered? No, but curtains closed.

Do you have that big vent in the middle? No, I have a front and rear vent. I have made covers for both, but only keep the rear one covered. [bedroom vent]

I don't have any Sky lights either.

My roof was painted white from the factory. You might want to paint yours.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I will try keeping the blinds closed. I have a big sky light in the middle I probably need to make a cover for as it is just tinted plexiglass. I will have to fink about the roof. It shows more on the older trailers because of the curve

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
RR4 Marmora , Ontario
Open or closed

Let me put it this way, I repair all kinds of windows, vents and yes even doors that people have tried to travel with open just to make sure that the RV stays cool for when they arrive at the next site. I even had to fix one unit with a broken door because they traveled with the door open, screen closed so the 2 dogs in the TT had fresh air while they drove! They also mentioned to me that they constantly had to clean up messes from the dogs when they arrived, I suggested that maybe he (the owner) should ride in the TT and see what it was like, ok not really but I did try and explain how un-safe and not a good idea it was and that the dogs would much rather ride in the tow vehicle, apparently they have not had any messes since then? go figure.
Steve
NorthernWind is offline   Reply With Quote