Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I also recommend Manatee Springs SP on the west coast of Fla, its a pretty spot for a few days off the road.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Camping the Keys

That sounds loverly. Any one camp on the beaches in off season, May to October? Do the places really open up and give you a little extra elbow room? Is the weather prohibitive off season? When would an ideal time be to stay, barring that it's not part of the exodus to avoid cold and snow in the Northern states?

Reminds me of our racoon story from our leaner days. We purchased our first fold-down camper and took it to the nearest state park for a practice run. While we were yet unloading a very aggressive racoon ran up and grabbed our toilet paper and made off with it towards the bushes. I can still see my husband with arm extended as far as he could possibly stretch trying to retrieve the 4-pack by the corner while the racoon tugged on the other end, saying in a very stern voice,"bad racoon." He told me, "hey, that tp was expensive.!"

Originally Posted by HOT LAVA
My hubby and I spent 2 nights at the Sugarloaf Key KOA 10 years ago before we were married. We were very young. We had budgeted $1,000 total for a 10 day road trip for two. We had a Dodge Colt packed with a cooler, our tent, and a couple of sleeping bags. We ended up at that KOA which, I recall, threw us way over our $100/day budget. Daytona bike week was in the near future and the place was packed with bikers and the tents were canvas to canvas. We grocery shopped in Key West and bought $80 in groceries for about 2 meals......

Despite the outrageous price tag, the cramped camping spaces, sharing our campfire with our new biker friends (and our beer!), and the raccoons that invaded our cooler, I remember it was a clean campground with a little beach that we enjoyed. The weather was so sunny and warm. We snorkeled, had a frozen drink in their bar, and washed the sand and salt from our bodies in very clean showers. It was one of the best camping experiences I can recall. Chalk it up to young love? OR - maybe- the double shots of tequilla we purchased at the little restaurant right across the road? Who knows. I hope to go back again some day in our Minuet. Thanks for jogging that memory.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina

Originally Posted by wheel interested
That sounds loverly. Any one camp on the beaches in off season, May to October? Do the places really open up and give you a little extra elbow room? Is the weather prohibitive off season? When would an ideal time be to stay, barring that it's not part of the exodus to avoid coldand snow in the Northern states?
Carol, it does open up after April or May. In the Summer there is a sea breeze off the water that keeps things below the temp of molten lead, but make sure your awnings are retracted and secured before leaving the campsite for more than a half hour, it gets windy with those summer rains. They usually only last a few minutes, but they sneak up on you, and can dump a lot of water in a short time. We had six inches of rain here last about three hours.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:10 PM   #18
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
RE: Camping in the Keys

The Summer is Great, in the Keys!

Most of the out-of-state tourists are gone, road travel is much easier.

There is a mini-lobster (sport)season that hits before the commercial harvesters are allowed,that is crazy fun. And the season for taking them goes on thru the summer.

See: for the dates. Camping spots are most likely already taken for that week but you can check.

Most of the RV parks in the keys are insanely expensive. You might try:

You can go through

Here the price is $25 - $30 + tax

The primary site for Florida is:

Lots of lobster that you can find swimming from shore & an inexpensive short term license can be had at any sports store.

Key West is crazy ... any time of year. If you have never been there, it might be good for a day trip or even on overnight at a small B&B.

Enjoy ...
Attached Images

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote