Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Beachville , Ontario
Ontario to So. California

We are thinking of driving from SW Ontario to Palm Desert in So. California this winter, to visit my sister in law and husband. We are new to trailering and any suggestions as to routes and interesting stops would be very welcome. We are going to take a month for the trip. I have been looking at Good Sam for campsites, etc. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Software Tools for Trip Planning

I am planning a similar trip next spring from Toronto, but to Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite, Redwoods, Yellowstone, etc. I have found two computer planning tools invaluable. I use a Mac computer, so the first may not be right for you. Road Trip Planner is ideal for setting up start and end times and calculating mileage, time en-route etc. Here is an example of my planned trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Map screenshot.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	269201

Name:	RTP Route Pins.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	269203

Allstays PRO is web based subscription and includes all campgrounds, fuel stops, rest stops, Walmarts, etc. Here is a sample screen shot of the Palm Springs area.

Name:	Allstays Pro.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	269202

WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Ramara , Ontario
Ray and Vida,
I see you are Geocachers too. I am curious how the geocaching from an AS goes especially when you are enroute? I have not had much luck finding places to pull over for the odd cache. Do you have GC30 on your list?
I am hoping to attend Geowoodstock XV with the AS in Waynesville NC near Asheville NC in May 17.
Sorry to the OP for the hijack, I too would love to explore from Ontario to CA so I will follow with interest.
Cheers from Ramara Ontario,
Kevin
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSA63 View Post
Ray and Vida,
I see you are Geocachers too. I am curious how the geocaching from an AS goes especially when you are enroute? I have not had much luck finding places to pull over for the odd cache. Do you have GC30 on your list?
I am hoping to attend Geowoodstock XV with the AS in Waynesville NC near Asheville NC in May 17.
Sorry to the OP for the hijack, I too would love to explore from Ontario to CA so I will follow with interest.
Cheers from Ramara Ontario,
Kevin
Apologizes to the OP too, but they were looking for things to do and places to see while travelling. Geocaching is a great hobby for travelling. It will often take you to interesting places that are not in guide books etc., using your GPSr (smartphone app or handheld) to find hidden log books to sign.

I try and plan my en-route geocaching for locations where I have scouted with a satellite view of the area to make sure I can pull over and park and get back onto my route without any trouble. Sometimes the first GC in a state is a bit lame because of the restrictions towing the AS. Mingo (GC30) would be great to do and it looks to be right on my route through KS. I hope to tag NE, KS, OK before getting into CO and NM. By the end of the trip I hope to have done a Geocache in all of the USA except the six in the north-east and all of the Canadian Provinces west of QC.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
We are thinking of driving from SW Ontario to Palm Desert in So. California this winter, to visit my sister in law and husband. We are new to trailering and any suggestions as to routes and interesting stops would be very welcome. We are going to take a month for the trip. I have been looking at Good Sam for campsites, etc. Thanks for any ideas.
We have been to Arizona and S. California the past three winters. My first comment is that one month seems like a short time; we find the non-stop driving to reach a destination very tiring. Since you are planning a winter trip, I expect you will head south as fast as possible given a weather window and then west. I can't help you there as we had our trailer south in the fall. We did travel across I-10 from Florida to Arizona in mid-January and found it fine with respect to weather.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
If you are interested in seeing Mount Saint Helens in Washington, I liked staying at Silver Cove RV resort which is on the way up to MSH. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions...er-cove-resort

For my trip planning I use Google maps, the AllStays ap, RVParkReviews.com, and the InRoute ap. In addition to the usual route planning features, InRoute also provides graphical representations of elevations, road "curviness", weather, and more, along your proposed route.