Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
Love New Mexico

Wow, ya'll are moving with the wind! Lots to see in this whole region. If weather pushes you toward the southwest corner of the state, try City of Rocks, Pecos Wilderness and Ruins near Silver City...the Catwalk near Glen wood I think was a nice day...
We'll see ya at Picacho!

The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
paradise on the pecos

or so the sign proclaims

but it is a neat place......Lake Sumner State park on the Pecos river north of Fort Sumner, New Mexico..

and the Pecos river and the crossroads of US84 and US 60 are much, uh....most of the reason, if not all for fort sumner to exist...i guess we killed indians here on our way westward

but it is a winter retreat for trailer trash like us

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What we and the early explorers did to the American Indians is appalling, really. I often think when I encounter native Americans (and other minorities) in this country that only intense efforts at forgiveness have prevented them from rising up and slitting all our throats in the night.

There is a Wounded Knee Museum in Wall, SD, that was absolutely gut-wrenching to visit. We were the only whites of about 5 people in the whole place, a few blocks from Wall Drug that was absolutely jammed with tourists. Made me rather sick to my stomach.

Small rant, sorry, and I know we are not responsible for the acts of our ancestors.

Sounds like you are having a good trip, guys, and it's fun to stay posted on your travels. Hope you can get to Moraine View in June, here. A great bunch of people.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
kingfisher24,
When you get time. What other places have you stayed along your route that you liked? Any in AZ?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
kingfisher24,
When you get time. What other places have you stayed along your route that you liked? Any in AZ?
For lots of info and lots of pics about camping in parks and national forest of Arizona, check out our travel log... We are a bit behind with it being up to date at the momet, but there's still a lot there to keep you busy...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
We did a 12-day trip Louisiana to Las Vegas and back over Thanksgiving. Stayed at Picacho and City of Rocks on the way back.

At Picacho I saw the clearest and "longest" "shooting star" I have ever seen in my 60 years. Also got "swooped" by a monster-hawk that didn't care for me being on his side of the mountain.

Has anyone hiked the trail to the top of Picacho?

JD Thornton
Natchitoches Louisiana
(met some of you in 2009 at Heron Lake)
Old 12-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
Islander

Picacho travel update

Bottomless lakes near roswell was really unique and enjoyable...and then the trip resumed towards Villanueva as part of a trip up the pecos river...we headed out of roswell and made our way to santa rosa and west on I40 towards nm 3 which was our exit north towards Villanueva..it was marked with a warning about the size and such of vehicles that should travel...we proceded at our peril...18 or so uneventfull miles and then down the mountain on a very,very narrow and winding road into the pecos river valley that is Villanueva and into the town of ramshackle houses and trailer houses and dogs roaming the streets and in the middle of the road as it wound to the state park in a beautiful canyon with the pecos river running through it.

the park has two beautiful trails that scale the cliffs of the canyon..great hiking and the park was mostly deserted for our stay...

we set out exploring with a journey to LAS Vegas and a trip up NM 518 towads taos with a detour up NM 434 into black lake and angel fire...434 is very very narrow and winding up the mountain into angel fire.....then US 64 into taos and then 518 down from taos...peeking at coyote creek and morphy lake state parks along the way...

next day we headed towards the upper reaches of the pecos river as it runs up nm 63 and ends at cowles.....such a beautiful drive and many places to camp

on to santa fe and a place to do laundry and explore some more

so we arrived at santa fe skies rv park yesterday.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 12-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
For lots of info and lots of pics about camping in parks and national forest of Arizona, check out our travel log... We are a bit behind with it being up to date at the momet, but there's still a lot there to keep you busy...

I'll do that. Thank You!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'll do that. Thank You!
We will as well.........
Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #24
Islander

while in santa fe

our exploring took us to the Hyde Park road up to the summit of the santa fe ski area which was bustling with skiers...hyde park was closed or we would have parked there..back down the mountain and on to Nambe and Chimayo following the high road to Taos via nm 76 and turning on nm 75down to dixon and then southward on nm 68 back into santa fe...

our visit to santa fe was completed by finding the farmers market and buying delicious veggies from the local area....

Santa Fe is an intriging area...above 7000ft...a thriving farmers market...adobe style houses...we are considering , looking to settle there...

any thoughts
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post

any thoughts
You picked some of the best country in NM to visit. But I would not want to live there. Santa Fe is just to yuppyish for my taste. The yuppies drove up the price of real estate so now the price of land is out of site and the locals can't afford to live there anymore.

I could use some company in Estancia. The people are real. Land is about the cheapest in the country and there is enough space that nobody is going to mind an Airstream or 2 or 3 or 4 on your property. 1 hour from Santa Fe or Albuquerque. Not as hot as Albuquerque in the summer or as cold as Santa Fe in the winter.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I looked at land in Moriarty, when I was working on a business plan for an Airstream only RV park just off I-40 (Historic Route 66) - it's a very nice area with some lovely distant views.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
Islander

New mexico...beginig to warm up to me

I am really starting to like New Mexico.......After discovering the farmers market and it looks like the state has a support program for local grown food...which is one of our parameters for choosing a place to live....the area around santa fe...dixon...abiquiu and other areas i am just now discovering...are areas of irrigated farm land or land with rivers ...just what i am looking for.....

we passed thru estancia yesterday......

arrived at the refuge yesterday ...staying at the bird watchers park....

watched the hordes of birds leave the refuge at dalyight today....just incredible.....

today we went exploring east out US 380 and drove to carrizozo and most importantly the valley of the fires park...just a beautiful place.......
I have to go back there and camp at first opportunity.....

then we continued on to Capitan and made a tour up to Bonito lake and then back to san antonio...where i had lathered myself up for a green chile cheesburger at the buckhorn....but they were closed on sundays

oh well

tomorrow ...on to datil wells.....and pie town
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love New Mexico, all of it.

Have a good time and think about checking out the Las Cruces area.

Maggie