Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I subscribe to Gone With the Wynns.
I have often wondered what they do for a living.
The RV was a sponsorship deal. They have to give it back.
I never quite understood the progression of their RVs, unless maybe that was a sponsor driven.
I remember them on an RV show on HGTV where they picked a small front engine diesel.
Then it seems like they had a diesel pusher- maybe an Allegro Bus?
Then they had a Bounder Classic front engine gas.
They actually had to buy the catamaran.
My favorite part of their videos is footage of the 2 feline traveling companions.
I think one of their RVs was a Thor. Maybe Thor will sponsor them in an Airstream one day. The learning curve for cruising will be different and very steep. It is a good thing they chose a shallow draft boat.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Apopka , Florida
I find them very entertaining!
Suzbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Wynn's

We have a 35' sail boat and 27' airstream. Man that boat is so much work, I hope he is handy or has a large bank account. Judging from the size of their RV and boat, they must have the resources. I think another year or two I am going to downsize to one or the other.
Americal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I would imagine you need to be a lot more self reliant on an ocean going boat. The Wynns don't look like they are going to take any chances. The are going to take blue water sailing courses, get checked off by a captain, sail along the coast before venturing to the Bahamas and further into the Caribbean, taking small steps as they gain experience. They mentioned they blew all their money and had to borrow on their insurance and will need to stick close to home while they build up finances. Nikki looks like she can learn anything and do anything Jason can do so they will be a good team. Wish I could've done something like this when younger.

Kelvin
Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
As a descendant of a long line of prestigious sea captains from Searsport, ME, I am embarrassed to say I couldn't operate a boat to save me life. Sailing confuses me and looks like nonstop work. I'm great with a canoe, anything more than that and you better abandon ship.

I think the reason is because the ocean looks the same everywhere. There are no mountains, no valleys, no canyons, no desert. Just waves and it's gets old.

Give me an Airstream, now that's seeing things and going places.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We just bought a 1967 Jensen Marine Cal 30 - a beautiful boat, perfect to take the family sailing and spend weekends away.

For now, we'll keep both the boat and the trailer, but I am not sure where we'll end up. There is nothing like the freedom of being on the water as the land recedes behind the horizon and you know that you can go anywhere you please.

For as long as you're patient and follow the weather, blue water sailing is a way more relaxing experience than taking an Airstream on the highway.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On The Water With The Wynns...

My dad was of Norwegian descent, from a long line of sea captains. Superb ship and small boat handling skills. Me, I can make them go more or less where I want them to, not hit the dock too hard, and tie knots fast enough to keep from losing a boat.

Eldest son took a boat handling course in college Navy ROTC. He still has the chunk of railing he managed to tear off the boat he docked one summer. The CO thanked my kid for being an engineering student, and politely suggested the deck department should be one he avoid. We also have a picture of the kid at the controls of a nuclear sub underway, submerged, in an 'undisclosed location'.

That picture is titled, "Sleep well tonight, I am at the controls of a fully armed missile boat...."

We can all be thankful he did not end up joining the Navy. Sleep well, all. 😄😄😄😄

Personally, I avoid "messing about in boats".

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #28
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I wish them the very best in their new venture and enjoy following along as they learn how to be genuine boat people.

I'm more of an "OPB" person (i.e. I prefer to enjoy "Other People's Boats").
Perhaps that's my "scam"!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Being ABYC certified, Lewster knows that equipment and electronics for boats are much more expensive than most RV equipment. A full suite of electronics can easily set you back 20 grand. Maybe 50 grand for a large boat with "glass" helm.

I have no doubt that the Wynns are smart and cleaver, but it will take awhile to earn credibility in the marine world. Like I said earlier, the learning curve will be very steep.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On The Water With The Wynns...

And, as Maxwell Smart pointed out, "Everyone is entitled to at least one fatal mistake."

Heading out onto the water without a thorough training session or six is not a good idea. The ocean is a big, dangerous place.

I'm reminded of the plaque placed neatly in easy sight of the captain of the USS Ranger. 1073 feet of aircraft carrier, embarked air wing, and about 6,000 souls on board. The plaque reads, "Oh lord, thy sea is so vast, and my ship is so small. "

Everyone that goes out to sea needs to keep the Sailor's Prayer clearly in mind. And to not depend upon luck alone....

We won't talk about the aircraft crashes and losses, the few who were lost or killed at sea, the fires, and the "days of total boredom punctuated with moments of sheer, total terror..." When things went terribly wrong upon occasion, all you could do is depend upon your training and skills. No place for untrained people.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Boating is dangerous, but I wouldn't say any more or less so than towing an Airstream. Each has different dangers and your need different capabilities.

No, I wouldn't go out in a cross Atlantic trip. Nor would I go boondocking into Yellowstone. When I started boating I always kept the shore in sight. Just in case. I had my VHF radio. And there was Tow Boat US, which I used a couple of times, that came out to help. And I had life jackets, which (knock on wood) I never used.

I could have done stupid things that threatened my life. But so can I do them while Airstreaming.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote