Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
We pulled over Slumgullion last summer. We were pulling a 30' AS with a Ford F-250 with the V-10. The only real problem we had was some broken pavement. Much of this road, on the Lake City side, is over a large, still-moving, earth flow. On the Creede side of the pass the route is less steep, but still rough pavement. There is a nice FS campground (Bristol Head) that we have enjoyed several times. Lots of nice waterfalls in the area. Just before you get to Creede (A small mining town we enjoy) there is a very large and very well run private campground. It is worth the stop, if you have an extra night or two. That upper Rio Grande valley is one of our favorite places.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Thanks much. Headed that way now. Will post later.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Great photos. I have to put Black Canyon on my list.

When I upload photos ( I'm using Photos on my Mac ) I export using 1024 as the width and they seem to load OK and provide large enough photos for viewing on this site.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Day 64..... Some updates. After leaving Blue Mesa, we headed to the Taylor River area, just north east of Almont. We ended up in another great NFS campground, One Mile. We could only get 2 nights. We got in early and they allowed us to park. Spent the rest of the day in Crested Butte...an artsy town. Got back just before dark and informed by the host that a black bear had been spotted nearby....we never saw him, no further report for remainder of the stay.

Next day we headed north east to Taylor Reservoir and a visit to the town of Tincup. This is an ATV Mecca and a boondocking paradise. Campers were everywhere. Reminded me a little of Quartzsite. We visited their Cemetary, which displays quite a history. Had some delicious French fries at the local cafe.....Frenchies. We then headed over Cottonwood Pass, 12,120', half paved, half dirt. Spent the remainder of the day in Buena Vista...really neat town, big white water center. Discovered Quincy's....their daily special is a filet mignon dinner for $10. Good size, prepared perfectly. Crossed back over the pass. Daily wildlife count was 4 moose, countless deer, and many hawks and other birds of prey. A great day.

Campground report: Onemile is super, with fantastic host. 30/50 amp, water spigots around, no dump. Sites were good size, spread out, and everything was clean. Will/would go back.

Thanks to you guys for the input on rte 149 and Slumgullion Pass. From north going south the road was being repaved from Hinsdale to near the top. We had to sit for about 20 minutes about half way up. all in all a very good trip and beautiful scenery. In between the two passes genre is a water fall...I think it's called Clear Creek Falls. It's almost like a slot canyon. Look for the signs. Picture attached.

Enough for now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	267884  
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Hi Jeanne and John! I just caught up on your thread - very fun reading your real-time travelogue. While reading I was hoping you might make it out here to the middle of nowhere in Utah's canyon country...and sure enough I read that you are! First, if you're still near Creede, CO, I advise checking out the Bachelor Pass above the town (with just your truck first). There are some spur roads that offer fantastic vistas and wide open boondocking spots, complete with old rock fire rings. When I posted previously about these spots, I said they reminded me of those The Sound of Music shots up in the hills. There is a free public sewage dump and drinking water at the south end of town - what a great deal for travelers like us! If you make it down to South Fork, check out Lower Beaver Campground right off Beaver Creek that feeds into the South Fork of the Rio Grande. For eats there's the tiny but charming Feelin' Good Coffee House & Cafe and a decent Mexican restaurant at the west end of town. As of last spring there was only one grocery store, a post office, a clinic, and a nice little library in South Fork. I posted some photos in Full-Timing under Dry Camping The Silver Thread.

I hope you decide to visit Escalante. From the looks of your itinerary you've left yourself enough time to explore. Also, from the looks of your hiking you should have no problem exploring the many slots and canyon hikes down to the Escalante. You'll have to do your hikes early in the morning - I wouldn't want to get caught out there mid-day due to the heat. The tourist slots will be easy for you: Spooky, Peek-a-boo, Zebra but there are some other great hikes through varied terrain and sandstone features that are breathtaking - Neon Canyon, Golden Cathedral, Little Egypt, Cosmic Ashtray (you can find these on the internet). Once you get here, I advise you visit Jim and Caitie Clery of Utah Canyon Outdoors. They are a very nice young couple who opened their outfitters shop this past March and have extensive experience of the Grand Staircase National Monument. You can get supplies there - a rope wouldn't hurt while climbing through some of the slots.

I posted a couple threads on the Full-Timing Forum in regards to our time here in Escalante - we've sorta fallen in love with the town. I posted a video about moving to the Staircase in Escalante and at the end it shows our favorite spot alongside a small cliff. If you visit Shooting Star I can show you that spot with just your truck first and see if you'd like to boondock out there awhile. It was wide open a few weeks ago - probably due to the heat. We only have a Honda eu2000 so can't run our A/C, thus we're hanging out at the Shooting Star for the summer. The spot is 2 miles on a dirt road off Highway 12, which was good back in spring but is now beat up over one section due to weather and visitors. There are very decent cafes in town and a couple more upscale restaurants just west of town and back down in Boulder, about 30 minutes away. If you come up Highway 12 from the east, you'll enjoy a short stretch of a spine, known as the Hogsback. You'll need some lower gears but it's a heckuva scenic route.

Shooting Star has hookups along two aisles of rentable Airstream "rooms". As Ron mentioned, there is a small drive-in onsite and has screenings every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday nights. There is also another area east of the office; it's where we stay and right now pretty much empty. It also has full hookups or just water if you'd like; they have a dump onsite. You should see us all by ourselves next an empty fifth-wheel east of the office. We hope to meet you on your journey, as well as Ron some day. It's always great to swap stories and experience with another Airstreamer.

Jeff & Coffee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05786.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	267885   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05788.jpg
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	267886  

Name:	DSC05794.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	267887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05804.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	267888  

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #126
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
J & J - If you are headed to Bryce after Escalante and interested in a backup, dry camp plan because the park is booked, then you can use this BLM spot near the park entrance.

37°43'54.4"N 112°05'40.7”W

You head north at the junction of Hwy 12 and 63 (Park Entrance) on the un-numbered road toward Antimony for 4.3 miles. It is immediately after the 3rd cattle guard on left.

If you check the earth view on google maps you will see another camper there the day the satellite took the picture :-)

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #127
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It's fun to hear forum members traveling in the same areas and looking forward to meeting each other and sharing camping spots info.

Have fun in one of the prettiest spots.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
SeeMore...nice spot. Curious, did you just pull off or did someone tell you about the spot?.

To anyone who knows ----- I'm trying to understand more about camping on BLM and Public Lands. When we were in AZ last winter, we camped a good bit on BLM, they were large parcels designated by BLM and you camped anywhere in those boundaries...like Quartzsite.
In Colorado, it seems there are designated camp sites, and also dispersed camping areas which I assume is like Quartzsite. Yes, No? Is Utah the same? Are policies the same in all BLM in all states?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Westcoastas........ Jeff, we will be at Shooting Star over Labor Day weekend for a few days. Look forward to meeting up with you. We will be coming down from Capitol Reef. We have no plans from about Sep 7 until about Sep 14 when we go to the north rim of GC. Would love to stay in some of your boondock spots. Like you, only have solar and Honda 2000, so weather can be a big game changer. By that time, hopefully cooler times will prevail.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Future Planning--- Moab

We will be near Durango, for a few days then Mesa Verde NP for about five days, then Cayton Campground NFS, unti Aug 10. We are looking at where to stay to catch Moab, Arches, Canyon Land and some other places. I know about the BLM sites along the river and rte 128. We have from August 10 until Aug 31 to boondock in various places. So wondering if you goes know of some hidden gems east of Capitol Reef....campgrounds and places to see and do.

(We really enjoy slot canyons and look forward to exploring those over in Escalante when we get there around Labor Day. We have almost two weeks there.)

Don't mind going as far north as Vernal and Roosevelt areas. We were in Zion and Bryce last winter, so won't head that way during this leg of our journey.

Thanks in advance,

John

Thanks much
Old 07-31-2016, 04:43 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
It's been a while since we were there, but the state park at Dead Horse Point is a great place to stay and visit Arches, Canyon Lands and Moab. Another interesting stop, if you are near it, is Goblin Valley. The campground is nothing special, but the hoo doos are outstanding.

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Richard, thanks, will check it out.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Day 67..... We landed in Bayfield, just outside of Durango. We opted for a commercial campground. Time for laundry and we washed and waxed the trailer and truck. Also got in some kayaking at Vallecito Lake, pic of Jeanne attached.
Tomorrow we will spend the day in Durango and may drive rt 550 to Silverton. On Tuesday we head to Mesa Verde NP for four or five days.

Depending on weather, we may head to Moab or get back to the mountains.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
......and now the picture
Attached Thumbnails

Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	268063  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:26 PM   #135
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
John & Jeannie,

Nicely done, making me smile and sigh.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Day 69..... Arrived in Mesa Verde NP around noon. Made the mistake of going to the visitor center and museum. It was mobbed. Finally found someone from NP and they told me to go straight to the entrance gate and then to the campground. Wonderful climb up the Mesa to the campground. Got settled and went out for our first hike...a short one, Knife Edge Trail, about two miles along the north rim. Looks out over the Mancos Valley. After reading all the literature and talking with folks in the campground, we'll most like do the Ranger guided tours and then some night star gazing. Be here four or five days.

Been looking at the weather for Moab....it's hot. We may postpone Moab and head north into Utah and the Skyline area.....more to follow.

Gneiss Guy, we checked out Dead Horse Point, and except for a day here and ther, booked pretty solid for next three weeks.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Future planning.....Again----Utah

Will catch up later on posting about our great time in Mesa Verde. For now we have limited wifi. Hoping to get some more good input on boondocking in Utah.

We are currently at Cayton Campground, just off rt 145, just north of Rico. We are spending the day in Telluride.

We are going to Moab on Wed August 10 and plan to spend about a week. The TV needs oil,fuel change. Hope to get into Big Bend. From there we want to go to Green River and then into Fishlake NF. Will see Capitol Reef from there and maybe Goblin Valley. We have reservations over Labor Day at Shooting Star. Then down to North Rim.

If you guys have any hidden gems you wish to share in those areas, pls let me know. Best to all.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
USFS Mackinaw CG at Fish Lake (the lake) is nice for dry camping. Mostly nice views and close to the lakeshore trail, and within walking distance of the old Fish Lake lodge. Not far from Capitol Reef (~45 min. drive.)

Lots of dispersed campsites in the general area (away from the lake), if that's preferred.
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #139
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
The NP campground at the North Rim is a real gem. It's much cooler there because of elevation and shade than the South Rim. Tall pines can give much shade relief, but some of the sites are a little tight. The best part is a trail near by along the rim.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Backing up to Mesa Verde Visit

We stay at Morefield Capground. Lucked out and got FHU....$20 per day vs dry camping at $15 per day. Very big campground. I'm told by the managers that the campground never fills up...just FHU.

We were ther about six days. Went on all three Ranger guided tours, $4 per person. Long House was our favorite, 2 mi hike and you actually get into the back of the dwelling. Balcony House was fun, several 32' ladders, a very narrow tunnel.....and it's like sitting on the balcony of the dwelling. We also hiked Prater Ridge which was around 8+ miles for both loops. Only about 700' climb and them along the rim of a Mesa with tremendous views. Another nice hike of around 3.5 miles is Knife Edge....again along a rim, not much elevation gain.
Another hike that I can't remember the name of, takes you out to the petroglyphs. Be Warned.....two ways to due this hike one is along a lower trail...maybe a three mile up and down with some scrambling. The other way is along the rim, flat, easy walk, no gain, until the end. You have to scramble down to the lower trail then back about thirty yards. We made it a loop.

Mesa Verde NP is a great place and very high up,there on my favorites. Crowds were not bad at all and campground was great.

A pic of one of our Rangers, made it special by playing a special cherrywood recorder he made.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	97
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	268854