Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #141
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M View Post
Great thread, Richard and Jan! I enjoyed all of it. Will you two be at the Balloon Fiesta?
We will be at the Balloon Fiesta and it will be part of another extended road trip. Details to follow...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #142
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Looks like you are living your retirement dream. Nothing beats a long road trip to clear the cobwebs.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #143
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Richard, was it as bad as you imagined? I guess it is a relief to actually see what you have to do. Good luck with it.

See you in October.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #144
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It is less then I imagined, but we had pictures to ease the pain of our arrival home. The next step is dealing with the insurance adjustor. We will have to replace aprox 1K sq ft of laminate flooring, 450 sq ft of carpeting and pad and lots molding around the rooms. There will also need to be some cabinet work and painting of some walls.

We are working on getting settled back in and after 2 months on the road, that is not an easy task.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #145
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The main thing is to have a wonderful reward for yourselves when it's done! And the next trip you have planned would, at least for me, be the perfect reward!

Lynn
Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #146
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
The Gods of Fate ?

We too have just made it back home from our trip of two + months to Great Slave Lake and Alaska. Crossed our fingers that all would be well on the home front while gone and was dismayed that Havasu had a 50 year monsoon come roaring thru while we were heading back thru Montana. Water leak ? Yes, Trees uprooted ? Yes, I guess that is what we get for trusting the Gods of Fate. The water leak was with the valve for the pool fill and the water made it to the pool in a round about method, So not too bad. The trees were a different creature entirely, Had the landscaper in the spring place six Indian Rosewood trees along the front of the home and all but one were down for the count on arrival ! The winds were so strong that the support poles of 3 inches were completly snapped at ground level "Wowser!" As for the trip we had a bad bearing and seal go on the driver side front axel set ( even after service and re-packing was performed prior to our departure, T.G. we always carry a spare set(s) ) which got us back on the road within the hour outside of Whitehorse, so not bad at all. The next bad part was the lower retention spring on the brake shoe assy of the rear axel set decided to snap along side Teslin Lake and give us fits till we found a like replacement in Teslin. Next was a stress crack on our equal-lizer head near the sway ball very similar to your problem, I summize that I more than likely did the dirty deed when trying to manuver in those tight spots we were limited to at the RV sites, a visit to the welder pro in Laird and a backing plate was in store for the fix. What we had expected were tire problems being that we have Marathons installed but nay a problem one. Strange how all of our incidents were within a 300/400 mile zone? All in all minor problems on the road and certainly a surprise on arrival home. Now if I can get a nights sleep without dreaming about still being on the road I will be ready for our November/December trip to Pichaco and beyond. Smile it only gets better with time. Paul & Linda
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #147
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I've gone through weeks of having to fix things at home and on the trailer. Is Mercury retrograde? Shall I hide under the bed?

I'm kind of surprised you found a brake spring in Teslin, but I bet I know who had one.

Gene
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #148
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Of all the places I was worried it was Teslin, Ended up heading over to the airport across the street from the George Johnston Museum and the maintenance crew had an 83 ford used for snowplow work being salvaged and low and behold the sun came out and smiled at us! A reverse bend of the spring hook on one end and "badda bing" we were back in the saddle again. That was luck at its finest! And total rebuild kits for the axels are already on order as we converse. What was your guess?
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #149
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Across from the Yukon Motel and Restaurant (north side of Alaska Hwy) is a gas station (south side) that looked like it might have brake parts. Actually, I'm sure there are plenty of springs that could be used in a pinch. A welder in Liard is also surprising.

During our last trip the power went off at the water filter plant for 7 hours and our system at home drained out and couldn't build up enough pressure to restart itself (this is a complicated water system), so there wasn't water for our neighbor to water the plants outside. Some of them fried in the heat wave. I have wondered why she didn't bring a gallon of water from her house; I figured it was better not to ask.

I don't think this compares with Richard's or shivtik's problems. A couple of months ago someone about 2 miles away got word when they were waiting at the airport in NYC to go to Europe that their house had burned down and taken a new SUV with it; that's the ultimate bummer.

Gene