Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
...<snip>...have been reading about the apache trail and apache lake..anyone know about this area....
I'm with Brad... I don't recommend Apache Trail to get to Rooselvelt Lake...it turns into a rough unpaved road before you get there... if you want to go to Roosevelt Lake, take the hwy 60 to Globe to Roosevelt route...good roads that way.

You can take Apache Trail to Canyon Lake...it's interesting but it's a parking lot set up for RVs.

We highly recommend Lost Dutchman State Park (dry camping with water available, and a dump station) about 5 miles NE of Apache Junction on Apache Trail...a good place to base yourself to take in that area. Here's a pic of our campsite facing the Superstitions...we were there for a week over Christmas holiday '09. The 67 Caravel across the road from us only added to the beauty of the view. (We have invited the owners to Dead Horse 4...we think they are coming!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LostDutch_Dec09_Camp_Sm.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	93793  

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
apache lake

so do i see it correctly that route 88 is just a dirt road from tortilla flat and apache lake is pas that?? and then to roosevelt lake to route 188 is not trailerable??? so one would have to come back on 88 from apache lake...i have been looking at apache lake marina and resort as a canidate to stay at/???? any thoughts...i want to explore the area east of phoenix and white mountian and show lo...is there snow and ice in this area at this time of the year???

Hey dave...that was a good picture of the caravan

snow in deming on the way to picacho
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	93803  

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is plenty of snow in the white mountains and on the rim (260 between Heber and Payson). The main roads should be fine, but many of the secondary roads are closed.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Apache Trail is hwy 88...and you can get to Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flat (I believe) on pavement...we have not towed beyond Canyon Lake so I don't know how good the road to Apache Lake is...I do know that Apache Trails turns into a washboard dirt road above Tortilla Flat...and it's not receommended for towing. The better route to Roosevelt Lake is hwy 188 north from 60 between Miami and Globe.

Show Low and the Rim in general is iffy in the winter...there can be snow and it can get pretty cold. Most of the pubic NF campgrounds are closed for the winter, but Fool Hollow Lake State Park Show Low is open year, round, and has full hookups (including sewer)...it's the jewel of the AZ State Park system. If you're going that way check the weather first. You can get to Show Low either by taking Beeline Highway north east out of Phx (route 87) to Payson and picking up 260 (beautiful drive)...then east through Heber/Overgaard. Or you can go up to Show Low via Globe on hwy 60 through the Salt River Canyon...pretty drive...deep canyon, but doable...we've towed it many times with the Bambi.

Have a blast!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
Islander

3 legs out.....

i always think ..planning destinations ahead...so now down to the moment... currently in 29 palms and heading out to joshua tree tomorrow for an extended stay... i have been scoping the area...Belle looks like a nice site...i am hoping to have the place to ourselves practically..
anyone ever taken a 25 footer into the white tank campground??...looks doable if campground is nearly vacant... the joshua tree...with all of its jumbo jumbled rocks is a very beautifil place....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	93847  
Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
Islander

onward.....

i come to the desert and get....massive rain??? leaving wickenburg az in the morning...going to meet friends at barret-jackson auction...and then off saturday to paige springs...near cornville...anyone been that route ...89 alt for a short stretch north of cottonwood????