Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
On the road for the first time

We are taking our AS out for the first time tomorrow. While I'm excited and I think we have most of our bases covered, I'm wondering how stable food in the refrigerator will be. It seems silly, but I'd hate to end up with scrambled eggs due to my ignorance.
I'd appreciate any feedback.
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We never scrambled many eggs. Just pack things with some thought and you'll do good. I always wait a half hour before I hit the Bud Light to give it a chance to settle down. This is your first trip. Don't worry if you screw up some things because you will. We did and still do We're not that old this this type of camping. We are learning tho. Just remember this is YOUR FIRST TRIP and the object of this game is to have as much fun as possible. Don't stress, eat good, hike, fish, climb, swim, meet cool folks....you get the picture. Don't let a dozen eggs spoil your fun.
Dan
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
With experience, you'll learn what works for you. However, overall, the refrigerator will be just like the one at home.

There are some little tricks in an RV. For example, we use little basket-type containers on the shelves for small stuff; so those items don't fall off the shelf, then fall out on the floor when you open the door. Also, you may want to buy a little refrigerator fan that runs on batteries, to help circulate the air for more even cooling. But, these are small things that you'll pick up on your own.

Have a great time on your first trip!

Note: You probably packed too much food. The first weekend we went out, we packed enough food for over a week; and we brought most of it home. Also, don't worry if you forgot something; there is a WalMart or grocery near almost every fuel stop. Important -- DON'T FORGET THE BEN & JERRY'S! Having previously camped in a small travel trailer with an "ice box" (cooled with a couple of blocks of ice), or on a boat with cooler, we had never had ice cream while camping. What a treat!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Calair, nice choice on the EB. It was my first choice too but the mean wife vetoed it because of a few muddy bikes and kayaks being stored (where we eat). I do like the FC ok tho. Way better than the tents we've been using for 30 years. If you ever get up here make sure you get to see Olympic, Rainier Parks and the north coast area around Kalaloch and Lapush.
Dan
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Phoenix, I agree about the Ben & Jerrys. I like Klondikes too.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Bouncing up and down in the frig usually isn't a problem but things sliding around , back and forth, can be. Try to pack tightly. Soft stuff on the shelves, hard stuff on the door. No snap on type drink caps, screw on's only. We keep the cold beer in the crisper, at the bottom, to contain them,(unfortunately long neck bottles don't pack very well, use cans), let the veggies soften up the shelf stuff.
Main thing is HAVE A GOOD TIME, enjoy yourselves.
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by calair View Post
We are taking our AS out for the first time tomorrow. While I'm excited and I think we have most of our bases covered, I'm wondering how stable food in the refrigerator will be. It seems silly, but I'd hate to end up with scrambled eggs due to my ignorance.
I'd appreciate any feedback.
Those shelves inside your refrigerator door can be problematic if you have too much weight on them while moving.

My previous trailer (SOB-Some Other Brand) had a Dometic unit and we loaded our shelves just like the illustration in the instruction manual showed. Problem was, the upper tabs of these shelf/bins tended to break at the point where they meet the inner liner. Dometic was good and they shipped replacement shelves (exactly like what we have in our current trailer).

But because of our lesson learned; don't load the shelves attached to the door when traveling, we've yet to use the replacements on our new AS.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Speaking only of eggs, we use a plastic egg crate that is available at REI or any well stocked camping store. It's not going to protect the egg from breaking if dropped from five feet but it will save you from cleaning up the mess.

Just make sure the frig and freezer door are really closed and require some effort to open. Same with the drawers and cabinets. Right before you pull out do another walk through and make sure you didn't leave the alarm clock on the bedside table for example.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Chico , California
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. The eggs, and everything else, made it just fine. We camped in Yosemite, so whatever we forgot (including ice cream) was readily available. I only wish my house refrigerator had the locking handles that our AS fridge does! We had a great four days, and are looking forward to Memorial Day!
bikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
After having a few jumbled refrigerator items, we prefer using a large soft-sided cooler that we can pack very tightly. Then we unpack it into the fridge when we arrive, fold it up, put it in the closet. The cooler was a Costco find. It's very large, but folds up very small.

See you down the road!
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have a smaller refrigerator in the 19' Bambi than some have, but the principles are the same. We hated the bottom shelf of the fridge with the cut-out for taller items like milk jugs, etc... So we took that shelf out completely and replaced it with a small "box" of drawers. This leaves plenty of useable room for taller items to the left and there's still room on top of the box for containers as well. We carry our eggs in one of the drawers padded with napkins. It's amazing how much stuff that little box of drawers holds...it's great for cheese, and items like celery sticks, etc in zip-locks...

We also use "Snapware" in the frig and cabinets (see pic)...they come in a variety of sizes, they don't come open, they stack well, and they fit perfectly into the fridge, including the door shelves....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterlite Drawer Box_Sm.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	157661  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hey TB, I like the removed shelf. I think I will do that as well. BTW, Where's the Beer?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The only issue we've ever had with things migrating in our refrigerator was the trip when I was fishing with the kids and stored the night crawlers in the frig in a cracked styrofoam cup with a lid. I thought the crawlers would be too cold to move around.... Yeah, not so much. We found them in the box of margerine, dog dish under the frig, just about everywhere in the frig. My hubby, NOT being a fisherperson, has never let me forget it.
Other than that, we carry just about everything in the frig when we travel, (obviously) and have never had a breakage problem unless we're on very very bad roads and the frig actually comes open (it's happened). Broke a couple of eggs.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno
The only issue we've ever had with things migrating in our refrigerator was the trip when I was fishing with the kids and stored the night crawlers in the frig in a cracked styrofoam cup with a lid. I thought the crawlers would be too cold to move around.... Yeah, not so much. We found them in the box of margerine, dog dish under the frig, just about everywhere in the frig. My hubby, NOT being a fisherperson, has never let me forget it.
Other than that, we carry just about everything in the frig when we travel, (obviously) and have never had a breakage problem unless we're on very very bad roads and the frig actually comes open (it's happened). Broke a couple of eggs.

Kay
Hmmm, a worms-in-the-frig story, and your forums name is Minno.

Might you be an avid fisherwoman?

Maggie
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Camping Wprld had the spring loaded fridge bars that help keep the stuff on the shelves in place from banging the door open. I know it's not suppose to happen, and the door latch is secure BUT they give me peace -of-mind on the road. They are cheap - about $10
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
On the road for the first time

I haven't had problems with shifting of refrigerator contents since I replaced the previous owner's bar refrigerator in my Overlander. On two separate trips the entire refrigerator broke loose from its moorings and emptied its entire contents onto the floor . . . didn't do anything good for the appearance of the cheap, brown, indoor-outdoor carpeting. Since my Dometic 3-Way refrigerator was installed ten years ago, the only real problem I have had with the refrigerator contents was when a can of Pepsi exploded when I was traveling from Kansas to Rocky Mountain National Park . . . none of the contents were spared the Pepsi bath . . .

I must admit that I don't take particular precautions when loading my refrigerators. They are both smaller, below counter models so there isn't much extra room when basic supplies for a week or more are packed.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Hey TB, I like the removed shelf. I think I will do that as well. BTW, Where's the Beer?
In an ice chest, nice and cold!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
I'm not much of a risk-taker. The wine rides in the truck with us.

Did someone say Klondike Bar?
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Minno stands for Minnesota Olssons. I grew up on a bayou off the Grand River in Michigan, and fished pretty much every day. I still enjoy fishing but do it rarely nowadays. My boys fish, as I took them when we camped while they were growing up. Hubby never fished growing up, and doesn't like seafood either. He indulges me occasionally by being my trolling motor when we're canoeing.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno
Minno stands for Minnesota Olssons. I grew up on a bayou off the Grand River in Michigan, and fished pretty much every day. I still enjoy fishing but do it rarely nowadays. My boys fish, as I took them when we camped while they were growing up. Hubby never fished growing up, and doesn't like seafood either. He indulges me occasionally by being my trolling motor when we're canoeing.

Kay
Aaah, thanks.

Love Minnesota, went to school up there and have friends we visit regularly

Travel safe,

Maggie