Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
On the road cyber security

We don't use campground or RV Park WiFi because of security risks. The link below is an interesting article about on the road data security. It is geared to business travel, but somewhat applicable to folks traveling in RVs.

http://www.mcgarvey.net/2020/01/22/c...rrior-edition/

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
i73
1 Rivet Member

das , California
There's no security concerns, if you set up a VPN (virtual private network) for around $3-$10 dollars a month you can connect to a encrypted network so any data transferred over the public network can't be seen.
i73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by i73 View Post
There's no security concerns, if you set up a VPN (virtual private network) for around $3-$10 dollars a month you can connect to a encrypted network so any data transferred over the public network can't be seen.
And if you had read the article at the link I provided you would have seen the Chinese are hacking VPNs. Others will figure it out. From the article: "Know that there are known vulnerabilities in consumer facing VPNs and there also are vulnerabilities with enterprise grade VPNs." Where there is a vulnerability someone will figure out how to exploit it.

Now will you have someone hacking your VPN at a campsite or RV park? Probably not. But why take the chance if you are purchasing stuff over Amazon using your credit card, doing on-line banking, or sending sensitive info in an email?

If you want to believe there are no security concerns with WiFi at some KOA, where the WiFi was set up by the GeekSquad from the local Best Buy using your $3 a month VPN product, then by all means have at it.

Steve
Old 01-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
i73
1 Rivet Member

das , California
"And if you had read the article at the link I provided you"

I don't click links found online (Security).

The first point of "vulnerabilities in consumer facing VPNs" Sure, there may be but that doesn't mean
1. that anyone can capture your data (Because it's not stored so they would need to be on the VPN when you're on it capturing packets)
2. Do anything with the data because it's encrypted.

You have insurance for credit card fraud,and bank hacking (If your bank get's robbed do they take your money?) fraud is not something to worry about, that's just a boogie man in security, Also your emails should already be encrypted.

But again, even if someone poisoned a public network, all packets sent and received from the VPN are encrypted meaning even if they got any data at the KOA they can't do anything.

I support this post, just letting everyone know that VPN's are the way to go, you have almost a zero percent of a hack by using a trusted one.
i73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
I support this post, just letting everyone know that VPN's are the way to go, you have almost a zero percent of a hack by using a trusted one.
Agree. Regardless of network used should always use a good VPN product.

If you haven't try googling "can VPN be hacked" and you'll find lots of interesting stuff. Worth a read. Some VPN products are more secure than others.

The packets themselves are encrypted. The issue is someone getting to them before they are encrypted or after decryption through a vulnerability in underlying software on either end.

Steve
Old 01-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:

Seconded. Like physical security - making it harder to be taken advantage of can make the bad guys look elsewhere right?

Besides, they are cheap by the year and really do a lot to provide peace of mind. They are effective.

Hackers would I believe go after low hanging fruit so to speak, and also target with a mind for returns. Usually bigger corporate or government entities eh? Don’t think the people that can hack a vpn will be wasting time on small fry routine traffic.

I’m not an expert just read a lot and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last year [emoji16]

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote