Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Smile On the road again...

We just got back from a 2735 mile trip from PA to Iowa for the Corvair convention. We took the Corvair van as the Bambi II is not near ready yet. All went well. In addition to counting license plates (we got 44 states!) we also looked for VW buses and bugs, Corvair cars and trucks, Scotty trailers, and AIRSTREAMS! We counted a total of 23 ASs on the road and in dealerships. Most were newer Safaris and Bambis. Some were 1960's vintage. Not much in between. We did not count the Airstreams showcased in the Elkhart, IN RV/MH Hall of Fame Museum. The Little Prinz is in there...it could not be cuter if it tried! Airstream would do well to produce a tiny, tiny AS trailer like that again...which could be towed by anything out on the road. Even the new Bambi is huge by old AS standards. A tiny 13 or 14 foot trailer would sell, sell, sell! With today's propensity for tiny appliances and flat screen TVs which everyone seems to need on the road, it would be a simple task. Seeing a Bowlus in person was cool, too. It is a great museum...right off Route 80 in Elkhart, IN. Try to see it if you can.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Wait.....did you just say the Corvair made it there AND back?

I will need photos as proof!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Oh yes...the '62 Corvair van made the trip happily. It has 628, 000 miles on it now. I would take it cross country if I had the time. This is not the first long trip we have taken it on...we have had it to Chicago, IL; Canada twice, St. Louis, MO; Buffalo, NY; Lexington, Kentucky, and many, many other places. It was my daily driver from '93-'08 when I decided I just did not have the heart to drive it winters anymore. PA is relentless with salt when it snows. I got a'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee to save the Corvair van and truck.

We have lots and lots of pictures to prove it...all over Route 66, in Iowa at the Corvair Convention, in the Wisconsin Dells, and all other points between and beyond. Will post some when we get them sorted.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote