Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Olympic Peninsula

Hi,

We are taking a 5 day trip around the Olympic Peninsula next week. Wanted recommendations of what to see on the Peninsula and campgrounds. Primitive camping is fine with us.

Thanks,
Old 07-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #2

1970 23' Safari
nobleboroi , Maine
Olympic Peninsula tour recomondations

Hey there, I lived on the Peninsula for a couple of years and i have a few favorite spots. My all time favorite camground is just West of Port Angeles, about fiteen miles called Whiskey Creek campground, its right on the Strait looking across toward Vancouver Island. Great pebble beach and good sea kayaking. Also the Heart of the Hills campground on the way up to Hurricane Ridge is really nice with lots of big old trees and moss everywhere. Enjoy!!
petersbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can't avoid Kalaloch Creek as it hits the Pacific. There is a state beach campground a mile or so south--primitive but a great place to "boondock" as you walk the beach. I think it's called South Beach. There is another campground north of the creek which I haven't used. Looks like it has hookups. South Beach shows up in google maps if you get down to about level 6.

If you're a kayaker or think you might be, go to Port Townsend. At the end of Water Street (do a google map of Port Townsend), which runs along the waterfront, is a very nice RV park and Pigmy Kayaks is next door. The RV park is right at the point of land at Hudson and Jefferson. Port Townsend is a very cool town--excellent shops, food, and evening entertainment. Pygmy Kayaks are very attractive plywood and fiberglass kits that are relatively easy to construct and have excellent performance (their seats could be better, but that can be remedied at Redfish Kayaks, about a mile south--beautiful strip-built boats). For a bazillion dollars you can get a ferry from there, with trailer, across to Seattle.

If you head south from Port Townsend, Scenic Beach State Park (google maps finds it) is just south of the Bangor Naval Station on the Hood Canal, with a great view across the water to Olympic Park. It's a pebble beach and camping spots (no hookups, as I recall) are on a moderately steep hillside in deep forest. I've posted photos somewhere on the forums.

Zep
Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Prior posts make me wish I lived near there! Have a great trip - looks like you have wonderful places to check out.
George
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Mike -

I've been fishing/camping on the Olympic Peninsula several times a year for the last 10 years. Here are two more possible destinations for you:

Minnie Pedersen CG is a primitive site along the Hoh River access road, near the National Park Visitors center (which is near a more "developed" campground at the end of the road). It is a gravel loop off a paved road. There are no hookups, and amenities include picnic tables, outhouses, and an elk heard in the adjacent meadow. Old growth trees here are 250+ feet tall.

A second gem is ON the ocean, owned and booked by Kalaloch Lodge. It is property to the south of the resort, accessed off Hwy 101 on a gated private (200 yard long) gravel road which ends in the campsite. It is called the "group campsite" and, a few years ago, rented for $20 a night. It is on a bluff 20 feet above the beach, and features the same lack of hookups and same amenities as Minnie Pedersen, sans elk heard. "Last minute" reservations here may be tough to come by, I'm afraid.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Mark,
I think we have the same picture of me standing on that log in the Rainforest! How funny!

If you are going to stay at Kalaloch, don't miss Ruby Beach or Beach 4 at low tide. When at beach 4 go to the right and head toward the rocks. You will see many great tide pools and rock formations.

Hurricane Ridge is also a great place to adventure to, but you have to camp elsewhere and then drive up to the overlook and trail heads.

Also you might look into camping at Sequim at the state park. The Dungeness spit is amazing, and don't forget to grab a bite at the Three Crabs. This is also a great site for kayaking.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Thanks for the info all. Love the tips on the boondocking and primitive spots.

Zep - Funny you mention Pygmy Kayaks, I am thinking of purchasing a kit and Port Townsend is one of our definite stops.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
When you get to Sequim, give me a call. We can go have a cup and look at a map. PM for numbers.

DJ
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrmikey
Thanks for the info all. Love the tips on the boondocking and primitive spots.

Zep - Funny you mention Pygmy Kayaks, I am thinking of purchasing a kit and Port Townsend is one of our definite stops.
You're welcome. A Kayak was last winter's project, but funny how that doesn't happen if you don't purchase the kit. This winter for sure.

Zep
Old 07-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Need help on a campground

Great info all. My wife and I are in the same boat. We both work crazy hours and have a week off at the end of the month. Aunt Gladys, the new used International looks good in the back yard but it wants to travel.

We are avid Kayakers and would love to be near the water, not necessarily on it. If I had to choose a CG quality, I would have to say "Quiet" with hook ups. I am going to check those sites listed above. We thought about the Oregon Coast too.

Planning ahead is not a skill I possess. Blame it on the schedule but I guess I need to practice. Anyway, I could use some advice on how to make our first long trip with Aunt Gladys be a memorable one (in a good way).

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
John,

You'll make your first big trip a much bigger success if you spend a Friday or Saturday night in Aunt Gladys in the back yard and make yourself cook two meals during that overnight, before you go. No fair going to the house for anything.

Zep
Old 07-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree with Zep on the camping at home. We also keep "The List" near the door of the trailer. Everything that the trailer needs goes on "The List". Things like, we could use a cork screw in the trailer, put it on "The List". We are almost out of paper towels, put it on "The List".

When you get home, use "The List" to stock up the trailer and start a new "The List".

This thread started with a trip to the Olympic Peninsula, is that where the rivet factory is located?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
The first place we ever camped in our Caravel was at South Beach (mentioned above) in 1993. It's basically a huge gravel parking lot, but if you get a front row spot, your front yard is the ocean! This was free camping back then, but they charge now (We haven't been there in 10 yrs). The area is an overflow for the main Kahlaloch campground (just north of the lodge, above). The main campground is beautiful too. It's just very hard to get a spot on "motorhome row" on the bluff. It is a National Parks campground, and they do take reservations now. After all these years, still our fondest camping memories are from there!
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
1981 28' Airstream 280
Olympia , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to BusDriver
We are headed in that direction also. First stop will be at the SKP Park in Chimicum next Friday. If they are full we will probably head over to the Elks in Port Townsend or Squim. We are staying in the area so we can go out fishing and crabing in our little 13' boat. Also, Washington Unit is having a rally during the Lavender Festival the following week.
Nancy
WBCCI 7296
BusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Headed to Orcas, Moran State Park

Hi All,

We are headed up to Orcas next week for an AS, Kayak week. Has anybody stayed in Moran State park? If you have stayed there, how did you like it? We really need a vacation.

Thanks,

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Ozette

We're planning a week's stay on the Olympic Penninsula in July, and ran across a campground/resort called "Lost Resort", located in/near Ozette, WA (the northwest corner of the penninsula. Anyone stayed there, or viewed it firsthand (or even hear rumors about it)?

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Mike,

5 days is not a lot of time to travel around the peninsula with so many wonderful places to stay and see. You may not get a chance to stay at the Hard Rain Cafe on the road leading to the Hoh Rainforest but at least take a look at their web site. We stayed there a couple of nights last summer during a month long trip around the Olympic Peninsula and enjoyed the isolation and of course the great burgers. Also a great place to kayak.

Larry
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Seattle & Olympic Peninsula , Washington
In case anyone pulls up this old thread while planning a Olympic Peninsula adventure I'd highly recommend that you stop at Cape Flattery. You can take a short easy hike out to the overlook and see Tatoosh Island and the light house. It is an absolutely gorgeous vista and should not be missed.

Dave
EvelynDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Dave, we were there yesterday and couldn't agree more! We are now in Hoquiam and heading for Long Beach, WA.

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Ho rain forest, Hurricane ridge (you can see clear into Canada), Old Port Townsend, Port Angeles, and the rain....keep turning and movong, moss will grow on your north side if you stop for more than fifteen minutes.....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote