Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Olympic National Park

So we are going to be at Pacific Beach State park and then want to head north and explore the park on the way to Port Townsend...There appears to be one state park and many national park campgrounds and by the description none of them seem very attractive. Sol Duc Resort Hot Springs at first appears nice and then the further one reads about it it seems to be a rip off...$25.00 per each dog??? a dump station charge...cramped conditions ....Kalaloch campground is reservable....but fulll up for the dates we want...most other national park campgrounds seem to imply a lenth limit of 21ft....

anyone have any thoughts or recomendations

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Have you tried the Hoh rain forest campground. I haven't been back in many years so I don't know much about trailers and any restrictions. It was a great place to camp and an amazing place to see.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Port Townsend, WA , Washington
Hey KF,
I live near the ONP and there are a lot of nice campgrounds surrounding it but not too many in it. ONP has tons of restrictions as you have found out (not really a bad thing) so I would suggest that you camp at a State or County park and drive in. I believe Fort Worden in Port Townshend has a campground and Jefferson County has a fairgrounds thats very inexpensive.
Good Luck
Blake
'63 AVION H-24
'03 Toyota Tundra
153 Pure Evil
Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
KF24 -
Kalaloch CG is very popular, large, and has nice ocean views from some of the sites, but fills quickly. There are other CGs in the area, but all require boondocking.
South of Kalaloch, perhaps 5 miles, on 101 is South Beach CG. A friend goes there annually with his 30' Airstream and likes it; I've not stayed there.
25 miles north of Kalaloch, 101 crosses the Hoh river. Just north of this bridge is Oxbow CG, with sites along the river. A couple miles further north on 101 is the Hoh River Access road (turn right - east) that runs along the river for 10 miles in old growth forest up to the Hoh Rain Forest Visitor Center. Willoughby CG is about 3 miles up this road on the right. There are only a half dozen sites, and backing in is pretty tortuous, but it's a nice CG. My friend and I have both been there with 29' and 30' trailers. A few miles further up the road is Minnie Pedersen CG; perhaps a dozen sites, quiet, and very pretty. Sites are off a loop gravel road with easy entry. I'd also use this entrance as an exit, as there is a grade change at the exit that is a potential bottom dragger. This CG is always our first choice.
Oxbow, Willoughby, and Minnie are all free campsites, first come first served. Picnic tables, fire pits, and outhouses are the only amenities.
There is a considerably larger CG at the end of the road, next to the visitor's center. I've not stayed here but it looks tolerable.
I've camped here in Dec-April only (steelhead fishing trips) and I don't know how crowded this will be in the Summer.
A CG similar to the one at the Hoh visitor center is in Bogachiel State Park, about 10 miles north of the Hoh access road on 101.
There are a number of beautiful beaches around Kalaloch, all accessed from 101 (leave the trailer in CG!). Many photographic workshops are held here annually because of the exceptional scenery (sunsets, tide pools at low tide, rocks and driftwood). Hiking trails around the Hoh vistior center will take you into an old growth temperate rain forest. 150" of rain a year make it very green and lush.
Hope this helps you and that you get to spend a little time up there - it's a special place.
Mark
Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
We camped directly south of Port Angeles at Heart O'the Hills on the road leading to Hurricane Ridge. There were a few sites that fit our 30 footer. Check at the visitor's center to ensure there are large enough sites available. We were there in late August. Hurricane Ridge is worth seeing and we also took the passenger ferry to Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island to get some poutine. The ferry ride was only $10 a head one-way with the added bonus that it stopped at a whale sighting!

We like to camp at the Marina in Port Townsend. It's my wife's favorite place outside of Lake Superior.

Enjoy your trip,

JimW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olympic NP1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	135757   Click image for larger version

Name:	OlympicNP2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	135758  

Name:	Port Townsend Marina CmpGrd.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	135759  

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
are you looking for a camp ground that is on the strait of juan de fuca? there are many RV parks up there. Crescent beach looked nice, but i have not actaully stayed there. www.olypen.com/crescent. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks for starting this thread. We're headed to Olympic National Park from California via I-5 to Seattle in two weeks.

Please keep us informed on how the camp grounds fare and any good boondocking spots you find.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Check out the county parks. There are many like Salt Creek and Oak Bay. There is a nice park at Dungeness and private parks at Sekiu and Clallam Bay. Also the state park at Sequim. All of these are right on the water. There are several private parks between Port Angeles and Sequim if being on the water is not important.

Cheers, Dan
Old 07-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
See if you can get in to Kalaloch at the last minute. It is awesome. Might try the campground at Crescent Lake (not too far from Port Angeles). Visit the Lodge nearby for adult beverage and dinner.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
campgrounds

Hey Kingfisher,

Staying at the Hard Rain Cafe located on the road to the Hoe Rain Forest is a must. This is a quaint little cafe with great burgers. I believe they have 10 or 12 rv sites with hookup and a few tent sites behind the cafe. While in the area be sure to visit Forks and visit the local grocery/hardware store. If you are continuing around the peninsula on 101 be sure to spend some time at Dungeness Recreation Area Campground in Sequim. This is a very nice campground overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Unfortunately the Sequim lavender festival was last week so you missed the biggest event of the year. Continuing to Port Townsend we enjoyed the city marina/rv park. You are about 10 feet from the water with full hook up.

Travel Safe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010002 10.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	135859  
Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
threw the darts

so after a stay at Pacific Beach state park i dedided to take a chance on the Forks 101 RV park which looked attractive and is close to Hoh Rain Forrest and other items of interest in the area. Then we are moving around to the Elwah Dam Rv Park....the "Best Dam Park" in the area so as to explore the Port Angles area and the norther areas of the National park. After that we plan a visit to the SKP park at Chimacum to explore the Port Townsend area as well as make day trips south even to the Olympia area...... so it is shaping up as an interesting trip...we will leave oregon and head for Pacific Beach on August 12th.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
so after a stay at Pacific Beach state park i dedided to take a chance on the Forks 101 RV park which looked attractive and is close to Hoh Rain Forrest and other items of interest in the area. Then we are moving around to the Elwah Dam Rv Park....the "Best Dam Park" in the area so as to explore the Port Angles area and the norther areas of the National park. After that we plan a visit to the SKP park at Chimacum to explore the Port Townsend area as well as make day trips south even to the Olympia area...... so it is shaping up as an interesting trip...we will leave oregon and head for Pacific Beach on August 12th.....
Before you reach the Elwah make a quick stop at the Lake Crescent Lodge, you drive right by it and it's worth a quick look even lunch if you can. Also swing by the Log Cabin Resort at the east end of the lake. Continue on the little winding road to Joyce. The road is winding but take your time it's not too far. The General Store at Joyce is a must see. Then drive out about 2 miles to Salt Creek a county park. You can see Victoria and Vancouver Island from your car on a clear day. There are two WW II 16" gun embankments on the west side of the campground. You can drive through them with a car, I'm not sure about a trailer but a neat piece of history. You are now only about 20 min. from the Elwah but you may choose to stay at Salt Creek, it's a nice spot. When you get to Chimacum look up Mike Leary. He's about 10 min. away in Oak bay, another nice county park.

Have a great trip, Dan