Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Make all public restrooms with one toilet and one sink and a sign on the locking door that says 'Bathroom". That's what it will have to come to.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Imagine camping with friends in a great Airstream only park and having a converted school bus with a family of Gypsies roll in.
Then you'd be all for discriminating.
There are videos on YouTube showing people how to avoid being ousted by cities while parked and living in your van/RV/camper.

That's going too far, now.
An all metal RV with Gypsies..???

Sounds exactly like some of the "Airstreamers" I've run into around the country.

What have you got against all metal/all steel RV's? (Argosy?)
What have you got against "Gypsies". Aren't ALL full-timers ..."Gypsies"?

I guess there are those AS owners who'd prefer to start the "Hoity-Toity-Airstream-Poity".
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
An all metal RV with Gypsies..???

Sounds exactly like some of the "Airstreamers" I've run into around the country.

What have you got against all metal/all steel RV's? (Argosy?)
What have you got against "Gypsies". Aren't ALL full-timers ..."Gypsies"?

I guess there are those AS owners who'd prefer to start the "Hoity-Toity-Airstream-Poity". [emoji38]
I've run into my fair share of "airstreamers" who look down on my Argosy, have also met many who couldn't wait to check out my trailer. My Argosy is a great example of airstream history.

Have also been in many campgrounds where live aboards trash their sites and have absolutely no campground etiquette. Same with many overnighters on the etiquette side of things. I believe all campgrounds should post and enforce campground etiquette rules. Being ignorant of the rules is one thing but knowing them and ignoring them is just wrong.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
Make all public restrooms with one toilet and one sink and a sign on the locking door that says 'Bathroom". That's what it will have to come to.

Bruce
Or do as the Japanese do. One room for all sexes. No one goes there for anything else anyway.

I once (in a hurry) found myself standing in a stall urinating and as I turned to leave noticed the ankles/feet in the next stall were in rolled-down-panty-hose/high-heels.

(I made sure to run the water at the lavatory and punch the hot-air-dryer as I left the room to keep the ladies assured that men always wash their hands.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post

Bruce
Sounds perfect. Never understood why we need to go to the bathroom in sight or earshot of others.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #66
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
I am going to copy this and save it . The Moab area is one of my favorites on planet earth.
On my next trip there I will check this out.
(10 year old Ford & 50 year old Airstream not polished..)
Thank you!
Shhh... don't tell anyone else unless you're an Airstreamer, but one of our favourite places to camp is the North San Rafael Swell. Just take exit 131 off of I-70, which says "Temple Mountain," but it's to the south and popular with the 4-wheelers. Head north on a decently maintained graded road till you either get to a site you like, or else reach the San Rafael Bridge CG. It's in two bits: one south of the river for shorter rigs (like our 19' Bambi,) and one to the north for longer rigs.

Or you can continue north through Buckhorn Draw past the campground, looking to your right, where you will see some tipi symbols indicating where dispersed camping is allowed. I wouldn't try towing a trailer to the other roads heading east or west unless you know what conditions you're getting into, and are comfortable with them. However, you can drop your AS at your campsite, and then explore on day trips with your high-clearance vehicle.

If you continue north past the San Rafael bridge, pausing to see the petroglyphs, you reach another graded road and can take a left and then another left, and follow the signs to the Wedge Overlook, nicknamed the Little Grand Canyon. There is also dispersed camping up there, but this area gets more use, so you're restricted to the already-hardened sites.

There is also dispersed camping allowed in some locations along the road to Deadhorse Point State Park, as well as a BLM campground called Horse Thief. The BLM also has hardened sites along the Colorado River, mostly to the east of town on Highway 128, but the Moab area in general is getting more and more crowded, for a longer tourist season.

Ken's Lake is another BLM campground just south of town, which is nearly citified.

Generally you can camp anywhere you want on BLM land if it's not posted to the contrary, but of course, not all sites are easily accessible, and you may have to share them with range cattle.

Good thing about BLM land: you can camp for free or low cost with any age or condition of RV you want to.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #67
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
I suppose there are slob campers wherever one goes. I can sympathize more with RV park owners now, given some of the issues that y'all have described. While we much prefer boondocking in the wilds, unfortunately some of the people who precede us to the hardened wilder sites are not "our type" either: in the Utah desert we've seen dispersed sites full of broken glass and trash, campfire rings overflowing with sand (used to put out fires) and open-air nests of toilet paper-- and worse-- close to the sites.

Then the BLM is so unpopular in these areas that educating slob campers would be really difficult.

We agree that not all full-time Airstreamers are classy folk: we've seen similar ones in RV parks that allow full-timers surrounded by trash, extra belongings, and sadly,oftentimes a lot of children's toys. I guess people do the best they know how to do in life.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy
That one is definitely not a jewel. From the surroundings in the picture I would have rolled right on through that campground. Some campgrounds are not worthy of my buisness either.
The rest of the RV park (not a campground) was very nice, tight, but nice. It was one of those RV parks where the Class A and 5th wheel sites are just barely wide enough for you to put out your awning. It had a lot of amenities and it didn't have any availability.

I don't know the story behind that AS, but I would guess that they got in there before there were any "rules". I don't know why they don't just kick them out. We didn't stay because it was just too many RVs and TTs too close together. I think it was one of those places where everyone knows nearly everyone else, a big community from up north, and they just gather at the same park every year.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Or do as the Japanese do. One room for all sexes. No one goes there for anything else anyway.
My son and I were in Japan a couple of years ago, for 2 weeks. We traveled to many different towns, large and small, and never saw any single sex bathrooms. I heard that about Germany too, but never saw it there either. I saw a couple of men relieving themselves in the gutter in Nuremberg, but that's all. When the women go in to clean the restrooms they don't close them, at least not the few times I encountered that experience.

Some places in Japan still have the old squat toilets, but those are usually in the old areas of towns, pretty much non-existent too. The new toilets, even in small hotels, are quite the experience. I recently saw one in Lowes, about $2,000 I think it was. I'm happy with our current model... and a newspaper.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
To me an RV park has paved or at least graveled sites, not grass, and doesn't back up to houses. An RV park is well kept with nice amenities and normally in a non residential area. Campgrounds can be nearly anywhere and have grass sites as represented in your photo. Not that it really matters one way or the other. It's kinda like going up north and hearing a trailer park called a mobile home community. I really offended some of my wife's family 20 years ago when I said "man this is the nicest trailer park I've ever seen".
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The roads in the park were in good condition, recently repaved. The sites, however, were just grass/sand, as I recall. The one in the picture was fairly large, maybe they didn't want to put others too close. The restrooms and laundry were very nice, very clean. It was an older park but well cared for.

The RV park was kind of in a business park area with some warehouses, wholesale and retail, but pretty quiet.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Vintage RVrs Have Too Much Fun!

I can understand why the RV parks don't want vintage RVs in their parks. 1st we might break out a bottle of Pinot Noir, sit around the campfire and have pleasant conversation with the neighbors. Or, we might invite someone in to see all the work we have done to make the RV our own. Or, our RV might shine like a diamond in the middle of all the RVs that look alike.

Personally, I don't want to stay in a park that doesn't want creative people around anyway. Most vintage RV owners I have ever met have been awesome people with a lot of knowledge about RVs.

Like I said, I understand why the RV parks don't want vintage RVs. Who wants people around that are out going and enjoy their RVing.

Keep Having Fun
MC
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #73
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
A nice bottle of pinot noir that you share with your neighbours??

Where y'all camping at, next time?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
To the average person, all our trailers look the same. If I amorall my tires, my 1999 looks like a 2017...no problem.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #75
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Y'all remember the guy on this forum that wanted to make a brand new classic look like an old, beat up airstream so his employees didn't think he was rich?

Wonder how that would go over in these parks? Maybe some RVs look like beaters on the outside but they're palaces on the inside on account of rich folks wantin to look more like the common folks.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Elk River , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
In my travels I have seen many RV parks that have all kinds of rules including but not limited to older RV's. If it is a private RV park then they get to make the rules. Some places don't allow dogs, some don't allow the under 55 year old crowd, yes, I am still talking about RVing, others don't allow Alcohol (Yikes). Some are Airstream only, go figure.
Fortunately there are usually other RV parking options in the area.
I know the Airstream Park in Clearwater, Minnesota has an area set aside for non-Airstream campers to park. It's away from the Airstreams, but still, it's there!
tpfleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:44 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
IMO, If it's a private park, they can exclude whomever they wish, as long as they are up-front about it and state "Primary-colored RVs not accepted!" or whatever their funky rule is. That allows me to avoid them as I plan my trips. I always stay at "RV Resorts", so I am guaranteed high-class accommodations. Yeah, right! Big, "Ha, Ha" here.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is this bar in the semi ghost town in New Mexico, White Oak. They welcome campers. The bar is named "No Scum Allowed" which covers it all.