Old 10-16-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Old story (from 1964)

I have posted a scanned article from the newspaper regarding my family's trip to Alaska in 1964 with our Airstream. It is at the AirstreamPhotos site, search for caadoptees. I was 4 at the time so I don't remember much except the 9 flat tires. I remember my father not being afraid to take the Airstream since it was riveted together, not screwed together. Also the vital lines in the underbelly were covered. This was not as an extensive a trip as some of Wally B's but it was pretty good for 1964. My parents have always had an Airstream after their first Teardrop. We actually have their last one now after my father couldn't drive anymore. I hope to always have one.

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Pretty cool story...cute picture too! Too bad you can't remember more about the trip itself...sounds like an adventure!

Shari

Old 10-16-2002, 11:08 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Wow, what an adventure. Do you have any plans to repeat it in the future??
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:15 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
I would love to repeat it. Possibly in the future. My Dad did it again around 1986 and said the roads were much better. As an aside, we were living in Thousand Oaks at the time, perhaps the address looks familiar?
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 10-16-2002, 11:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I read your story the other day and meant to thank-you for sharing it. How fortunate you are to have such a keepsake.

In today's world of "Disney World" being a trip for the family, how lucky you were to have such "Adventurous" parents.

Best Regards;

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Thanks for the story. Do the color slides still exist?

My father still has Kodachrome slides taken in the 1950's that look great. His Ectachrome slides have all turned brown.

I bet your father used an Argus C-3 (AKA "The Brick")
Old 10-18-2002, 10:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Tyre Run.

Hi there...
...I guess that was a great fete in those days...all that adventure for a then small lad, I guess people do it 2day, and think nothing of it...but way back then...I bet U were the envy of your friends...and you got into the newspapers too...FAME !!!...
Nine flat tyres...I can't imagine how your father coped with that...but I just guess that's the joys of motoring...or in 2days terms...accepted tollerance...!!!...lol, well done, and THANK'S 4 sharing it us...Chris.....
Old 10-18-2002, 12:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas

What a coincidence ... I was in Alaska in the same summer. We flew a squadron of AF Reserve C-119s from Sewart AFB, NY to Anchorage, AK and spent two weeks ferrying army troops from Fairbanks to Nome for exercises and then from Nome back to Fairbanks.

Anchorage was a mess from the earthquake. We had a bus tour of the area past all the destruction while th exercise was in progress.

Anchorage was T-shirt warm, Fairbanks was sweater cool, and Nome was practically snowbound. We landed in a whiteout at Nome one trip.

At Anchorage, they would run a car down the runway to scare off the moose before we could land. We had one incident where a couple of our mechanics were working in a C-119 when a pair of moose decided to stick their head inside the door. The mechanics were New York City guys. There were so terrified, they hid up in the A-deck of the C-119 and wouldn't come down till their Sergant went out hunting from them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

caadoptees, yes, the address does look familiar- I live about two miles from there. Small world! Thanks again for sharing the wonderful story. I hope to make the Alaska trip in the next couple of years.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

What type of tow vehicle did your dad use on that trip?
Old 10-22-2002, 04:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
It was a Ford Commuter station wagon if I remember from the photos. Probably with a 400ci in it. I remember my dad was so upset when Ford stopped making that engine. He didn't feel the 351 was enough.

Even with the 400, I remember doing about 15mph up the grapevine out of Bakersfield, in first gear.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
Thanks for the story. Do the color slides still exist?

My father still has Kodachrome slides taken in the 1950's that look great. His Ectachrome slides have all turned brown.

I bet your father used an Argus C-3 (AKA "The Brick")
Just revisting this thread and saw that I didn't reply. All the slides still exist in Kodachrome. My father didn't like the color balance of the Ectachrome. I will have to pull out all the Airstream photos I can find and post them here.

My father used a Kodak Retina. From the below website, it appears it was a IIIc.

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?KodakRetina.html~mainFrame
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Hi,

You did reply by private message. I bought a Retina IIa on E-bay. It takes incredibly sharp pictures with its Schneider lens. I forwarded my reply from 2002 to you a few minutes ago.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
I have posted a scanned article from the newspaper regarding my family's trip to Alaska in 1964 with our Airstream. It is at the AirstreamPhotos site, search for caadoptees. I was 4 at the time so I don't remember much except the 9 flat tires. I remember my father not being afraid to take the Airstream since it was riveted together, not screwed together. Also the vital lines in the underbelly were covered. This was not as an extensive a trip as some of Wally B's but it was pretty good for 1964. My parents have always had an Airstream after their first Teardrop. We actually have their last one now after my father couldn't drive anymore. I hope to always have one.
Hi Roger,
I used to live in Fresno for years. But moved to Tucson Az. Last year. We have bein to Alaska 2 times. Once last year and once 2 years ago. The roads are good. There are some places that they are working on So you have to slow down. They normaly work on 20 to 30 mile at a time. The Canadian Goverment is always improving the road. If you want some info here is my e mail. rdworian@comcast.net
Regards russ

Tags