Old 06-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
OKC to Savannah, GA

We will be traveling on our first long haul from OKC to Savannah. He have been successful on our weekend and week trips but they have not been far from home. Looking for suggestions on where to stop and stay. Will be leaving out the third of July and looking for a good display on the fourth some where in between. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
Possible July 4th stop

It is about 850 plus miles from OKC, but Stone Mountain, GA (just east of Atlanta) has a great campground and will have some kind of fireworks display for the 4th. They also have a laser show display on the side of the mountain that is excellent. Lots of activities inside the park that you should enjoy.

You will need to contact Stone Mtn. Park to find about availability of camp sites.

Walter Duffee

Old 06-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
You may want to stop your first day out at Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park in West Memphis, AR where there are spots riverside. It is not far from the interstate, but ~460 miles away (my one day limit).

On July 3rd, Mud Island (10 mile side trip) will have fireworks that evening and admission is free starting at 6pm.. There are few better places to watch fireworks than from the middle of the river. Mud Island River Park is having a Fourth of July celebration with fireworks, food, rides and games and paddle boats. Note: blankets, picnics and lawn chairs are welcome, booze, grills and your personal fireworks arsenal are not.

I second Duffee's vote for Stone Mountain as another local and they have a great show for your second night which is another ~420 miles away
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I agree with SeeMore, Tom Sawyers is a great stop. Try to get one of the premium spots on the river. Also you can park your truck or rig (free) at the TN Welcome Ctr (first TN exit) on the river in Memphis and catch the trolley downtown. The ducks at the Peabody are on parade at 11:00a.m. and if you are into pork BQ dont miss Blues City Cafe just a couple of blocks from the Peabody on Beal St.
Next stop should be Nashville TN (half days drive) and the Two Rivers Campground near the Opryland Hotel. A shuttle ($) is available if you do not want to drive downtown to Broadway, but not a bad drive and lots of parking. There a lot of good places to eat on or near Broadway and many have live music most days.
The beach in Savannah is located on Tybee Island. The city of Tybee operates the Rivers End Campground which is about 3 or 4 blocks from the beach.
I dont have a recommendation for a stay between Nashville and Tybee, Stone Mt is about halfway and is located on the east side of Atlanta. I've never stayed in the campground, but have attended the fireworks and laser show on the 4th.
Have fun and stay safe

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Stone mt. Is a good place especially if you had children. If you make it to Tybee island check out the Breakfast club, small hole in the wall restaurant open only in AM. Classical trained owner. Usually a long line waiting but great food.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
I remember stone mountain, but not sure we could make it by the 4th so Memphis may be the best spot. Not sure we will stay at tybee. Looking at maybe savannah oaks as it may be closer to my sister-inlaw home. Do plan to stop in Atlanta and visit the aquarium. Any suggestions for great place there to stay?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Wow! What great suggestions. Wish that I was taking this trip.

Dan
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
If you are towing your trailer, there is no closer spot (nor better campsite) to downtown Atlanta than Stone Mountain Park. Otherwise, you will be miles out of town and traffic is a bear during rush hours in town even on some holidays. It is well worth the extra 40+ minutes to swing to the northeast perimeter I-285 for Stone Mountain, but you can stop short of Atlanta on I-75 at Allatoona Lake and use Red Top Mountain State Park as an alternate.

Red Top Mountain, GA
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
If you are towing your trailer, there is no closer spot (nor better campsite) to downtown Atlanta than Stone Mountain Park. Otherwise, you will be miles out of town and traffic is a bear during rush hours in town even on some holidays. It is well worth the extra 40+ minutes to swing to the northeast perimeter I-285 for Stone Mountain, but you can stop short of Atlanta on I-75 at Allatoona Lake and use Red Top Mountain State Park as an alternate.

Red Top Mountain, GA
McKinney Campground is a Corp of Engineers park located in Acworth GA about 5 miles closer to Atlanta than Red Top and the sites are bigger and the bath houses are in better condition.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
be careful, you could easy become a Georgian.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Thank you for all the suggestions. Now to just get all my projects done so i can pack. Have to finish water sealing, install all my new exterior led lights, new arm bracket for the zip dee, clg fan, oh and pack.