Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
OK, so there's this bird, see...

and he decided that not 10 minutes after parking the truck at the campsite, he had some kind of beef with the "other bird" he saw in my driver's side mirror of my truck. Shoo him away, he'd come right back. Finally moved the truck (went into town for some supplies), come back to find he'd discovered another "other bird" in the side of the trailer which I'd polished.

He was relentless - FLUTTERFLUTTERFLUTTERFLAPFLAPFLAPPECKPECKPECKPECKP ECKITYPECKITYPECKPECK trying to get at this "other bird". There were plenty of other birds just like him around, but this one was obsessed out of his little birdy mind. You'd think this would get old for him, he'd get sore or tired or would just give up, right? Oh no, not THIS little bird. He'd go at it for a while, and then perch himself on one of the awning arms on the streetside and rest, all the while eyeing the "other bird". After a few minutes he'd start up again - in some cases working his way around the entire trailer. FOUR DAYS this went on - he'd give up at night when he couldn't see anymore, but be RIGHT BACK AT IT at first sign of daylight. His birdy friends I'm sure thought he was some kinda cuckoo. Plus we never got to sleep far past daybreak for all the racket. Ah well, whatreyagonnado.... We figure he's suffering some kind of birdy withdrawal, or at least a sore beak. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bird1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	23250  

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Northern California , and Oregon
Sounds familiar. Mine was a bluebird in Northeastern California. He also liked the bathroom vent fan top.

Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Rws

RWS is this German company that makes pellet guns...

yeah, that's probably a terrible thing to say. But it's late and I thought it sounded funny

By the Way, nice polish job!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
By the Way, nice polish job!
Thanks! Got a long way to go, though!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
That's often a female laying on eggs or raising young nearby.
Of course. That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I had problems with birds building nests on the porch of my house and then making a terrible mess. What I finally found that worked was to get these toy rubber snakes at the dollar store and put them up in strategic places. Seems to have done the trick...the birds see the "snakes" and stay away. Don't know if that'd work on a nest with eggs or not...I guess best to let them have their brood and then put up the snakes.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Perhaps your bird experience explains why Paris Hilton chose an Airstream camper.........
Old 07-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotLAVA
Perhaps your bird experience explains why Paris Hilton chose an Airstream camper.........
OK, ya lost me on that one! Could you elaborate?

Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
OK, ya lost me on that one! Could you elaborate?
Maybe he meant she is a Cuckoo?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Wilmington , Illinois
(Guessing this is what happened)
Paris Hilton, in the market for a camper to live in for her upcoming reality tv show (now over), goes to a lot filled with all sorts of campers for sale. She stops to admire herself in the rearview mirror of a Traillite, but something's missing. She wanders through a Jayco, but it's just not right. Then, across the parking lot, like a diamond necklace she spots the gleaming reflection of light off of an Airstream. Drawn to it, like a fish to a lure, she moves closer. But wait, who is this beautiful woman she sees? It is the most beautiful woman she has ever feasted her eyes upon. So she flies around to the other side of the camper, and there's the woman. And this beautiful woman, no matter where she turns, is there looking back at her - admiring her. For days she flies around the camper trying to figure out who this woman is and where she came from. She squacks, but the woman only opens her mouth - no sound is heard.......

And so it continues, Paris Hilton and her reflected friend........
Old 07-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotLAVA
(Guessing this is what happened)
Paris Hilton, in the market for a camper to live in for her upcoming reality tv show (now over), goes to a lot filled with all sorts of campers for sale. She stops to admire herself in the rearview mirror of a Traillite, but something's missing. She wanders through a Jayco, but it's just not right. Then, across the parking lot, like a diamond necklace she spots the gleaming reflection of light off of an Airstream. Drawn to it, like a fish to a lure, she moves closer. But wait, who is this beautiful woman she sees? It is the most beautiful woman she has ever feasted her eyes upon. So she flies around to the other side of the camper, and there's the woman. And this beautiful woman, no matter where she turns, is there looking back at her - admiring her. For days she flies around the camper trying to figure out who this woman is and where she came from. She squacks, but the woman only opens her mouth - no sound is heard.......

And so it continues, Paris Hilton and her reflected friend........
Ah. Sounds about right. You know, I can't understand what it is about Paris Hilton and others of her ilk. Why does anyone really care about who they are and what they're doing with all their high-falootin' parties, and whatnot? I mean, they don't care about what I'm doing... For heaven's sake, she's not even all that attractive. I got better things to do than worry about who's dating which shipping heir, oil magnate and such...

Old 07-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I had a similar problem with a woodpecker. Early morning to late evening, till we left. If it hadn't been sitting on the roof of the Overlander, I may have used deadly force--luckily for him, I didn't want bullet holes in the coach.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Wilmington , Illinois
Off the bird topic - on to the birdbrained topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Ah. Sounds about right. You know, I can't understand what it is about Paris Hilton and others of her ilk. Why does anyone really care about who they are and what they're doing with all their high-falootin' parties, and whatnot? I mean, they don't care about what I'm doing... For heaven's sake, she's not even all that attractive. I got better things to do than worry about who's dating which shipping heir, oil magnate and such...
Funny - ordinary people you see all of the time: friends, strangers, relatives - we look for the beauty in them. Those, like Paris Hilton who are in the spotlight we find so fascinating, like a car crash, in an almost sick sadistic way, we watch searching for any fault we can.

Lucky for us, in Paris it doesn't take much searching. I, too, do not find her nearly as attractive as she finds herself. I'm quite certain, if standing by her side, I'd be recognized as the true beauty (tehe - sarcasm does not always convey in type so yes, this is sarcastic) . But, I must admit, I found myself staring into the television at her show when it was on ordinary television, mildly amused mostly by the way she struts around and poses even in the must humbling circumstances. Who stops to pose while powerwashing their car?

I also enjoy watching National Geographic. I think somehow the two are very similar. Paris is about as much like myself and any other human creature I have met as a three toed sloth. Perhaps they should set up an exhibit (like a zoo) in an upscale shopping mall so we could view her live in her natural habitat. Imagine, a candy machine filled alcohol and diet pills you can purchase for .25 to throw to her. Maybe they'd have one of those super neat-o wax figure machines that make souvernirs of her likeness in hot pink wax, or a penny smashing machine with some clever saying about seeing Paris!

I could go on and on........
Tracy
Old 07-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We had a Cardinal commit suicide last year on our back door window. It took about a week but he became obsessed with removing the "other" Cardinal from his territory.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote