Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
OK I'm not kidding this time. Alaska bound!!!!!

Please forgive me for cancelling last year's Alaska trip. A huge conflict came up - delays on a fishing camp building project down here in Texas forced us to postpone the trip. Now we're ready to travel in the 34' A/S Classic. We are a little bit wiser (we think) and have read Church's books and the Milepost. We have also talked to 2-3 people who have made the trip. We plan to leave Austin mid-May, go to Mt. Rushmore, then Waterton Lakes, AB, then through the Jasper icefields, onward to Prince Rupert. From there onto a ferry we will go - disembarking in Ketchikan, Petersburg and Juneau for short stays. Then we will get back on the ferry to Skagway and head back to the AL-CAN to Whitehorse, Haines Jct, Tok, Valdez and Anchorage. Then to Kenai and Soldotna. King salmon on a flyrod baby!!! Then , we'll go to to spit on Homer and Seward - loading up on halibut. Then to Denali. Are there any kennels for our dogs? We'll head back on the AL-CAN through Chicken and Eagle and Whitehorse and Dawson Creek. From there to Whistler, Vancouver, and Washington. That's a lot to read - sorry. But this is our first time to see AK. Any ideas on campgrounds, special places you have seen and loved, and activities to not miss out on will be appreciated. Any ferry stories esp with dogs. I promise to give you a report with pics. From two crazy hearts, Denny & Debbie

Denny & Debbie
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel
Hensley Arrow & TruControl Gold
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, make sure you give us a full report on your adventure, including pictures. We plan to do this some time in the future, but I'm pretty sure this year is out of the question. Maybe I can learn from your experiences.

Have a great trip.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
2005 28' International CCD
but "this ain't no place for the weary kind"
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Your trip plan sounds great. Please post reports and photos to this thread as often as you can.

We have been planning the same kind of trip for several years. We were thinking about driving up and taking the Alaska State Ferry System back. We are particularly interested in your experiences in loading the Airstream on and off the ferry at the various stops.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Have a wonderful trip! Love the itinerary - how long do you plan to be on the road?

We grew up in Southeast Alaska (Sharon in Ketchikan, Sean in various towns on Prince of Wales Island before moving to Ketchikan for high school). On a rainy day, the scenery is beautiful - on a sunny day, WOW!!! Be prepared for lots of rain, though. Ketchikan gets an average of 160 inches a year! Totem Bight Park and Saxman Totem Park are great places to visit there. You can also pick up a "Walking Tour" brochure from any of the tourist shops or the Visitor's Bureau on the cruise ship dock. This will lead you around the Downtown area and show you fun and historic sites. Ward Lake, a few miles north of town, is a good place to visit for a short, easy hike. It takes less than an hour to walk around the lake through the woods.

In 2006 we drove from Portland up through British Columbia to Prince Rupert before taking a 6 hour ferry ride to Ketchikan, and returned the same way. The scenery in BC is just amazing! Early one morning, we drove by several bighorn sheep grazing on a slope by the road. I wish we had had more time to explore.

We'd love to read about your travels and see pictures. Have fun!
Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389
TAC #: OR-3
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by oxblood View Post
.... We are a little bit wiser (we think) and have read Church's books and the Milepost. ..... From two crazy hearts, Denny & Debbie
Is this the book: Alaska Camping by Mike and Terri Church? Amazon has it for $15.
What made this a *go to* book for you?

Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Alaska is incredible. We went last year (2009) and loved every minute. We left Nashville, TN on May 11 and returned home just before Labor Day. The land, the people, the "bigness" -- all amazing -- I could do the same trip again this very minute. (But it would not be the same, which would be wonderful.)

We used Milepost and the Church's book. Sounds like you're ready but feel free to pm me if you have any questions that I might help with.

We did take a side trip up to Deadhorse, leaving the trailer in Fairbanks. An adventure that we would have hated to have missed.

Truly the "trip of a lifetime".
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #8

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Cant wait to read the account. Alaska is absolutely on my to-do list.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #9

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
Is this the book: Alaska Camping by Mike and Terri Church? Amazon has it for $15.
What made this a *go to* book for you?
We also recommend the Church book. What makes it indispensable is that it is very compact in terms of towns, sights (and sites) to see, campground directions and other highlights. The Milepost (which you also need) is just sometimes too busy.

Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
I agree with you all. It's a trip that I will take in the future, probably my retirement vacation. I hurts to say the "R" word at such an early age, as I'll only be 38, but make for one big adventure. Can't wait to hear the updates and recount of your trip. Have fun and please share your pictures.
Brian Schmock

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
2008 31' Classic
milam , Texas
how long do you expect this trip to be.were also planing on going .our first wife lived in alaska 12 years.were going back,to visit.we live in tx."milam"on the lake.last summer went to s.d. crazy horse,mount rushmore ect.could you use a little company?
bertorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Follow up to posts

Thanks for the encouragement. Several ex-travelers to AK strongly rec'd the Church's book for AK. They also published a Pacific NW and British Columbia book that kind of fills the gap between Txas and AK.
I am thinking about ordering the Pressure Pro TPMS to keep an eye on the tires. Anybody use these? Also the Enkay mud flaps seem good but may not fit on the Hensley hitch.

Denny & Debbie
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel
Hensley Arrow & TruControl Gold
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote