Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
OK camping recommendations

In early October we will be traveling from west to east and are looking for an Oklahoma state park (or others welcomed) recommendation. We will be working for the week and will need cell phone coverage (Verizon). Ideally it would be a campground with hiking trails and a waterway (river, lake) for kayaking. The location in OK is not important.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Brad, we overnited in Red Rock Canyon SP near (I think) Hinton, OK. We loved it but didn't explore it since we were just passing through. I got into some bad ice there and ended up with a sore head next day. I think it is off I40.

Reach out to Okie Gent here on the forums , he is a native and may have some suggestions.

Just beware of the bad ice.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There are 43 Oklahoma state parks with RV campsites. Check out Oklahoma Map - State Parks | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site. One glitch on the map; The icon for Great Plains State Park is actually misplaced; it should be between Altus and Lawton, near the town of Snyder. The icon is actually where the Quartz Mountain Nature Park, on the shore of Lake Altus-Lugert, is located. There's camping there, too, but Lake Altus-Lugert is currently about 16 feet below normal, leaving all of the boat ramps high and dry, so I can't recommend that one at this time.

Not a State Park, but there is also camping at Lake Carl Blackwell. The lake is owned by Oklahoma State University (my alma mater). You can get info at Oklahoma State University.

I used to live in Oklahoma when I was a young'un, but haven't been camping there since I graduated from Oklahoma State. Hope to hit an Oklahoma State Park sometime this year (maybe Hochatown SP on Broken Bow Lake), when I can wrangle a whole week off from work to make it worth driving that far.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Lake Murray State Park. First class. Water, Hiking, great bicycling, and of course full hookup. But stock your wine cellar before Oklahoma. Prices there are outrageous.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We stayed at Natural Falls State Park in West Siloam Springs, OK (northeast) on our way to a forums rally in Arkansas. Really nice park, full hookups and easy accessibility. We really like the state parks in Oklahoma, they do a good job with ‘em.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Thanks all - some great recommendations. I think our plans may change a bit and we may end up spending more time in NM.

BTW, Lake Murray sounds perfect!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote