Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
OK camping recommendations

In early October we will be traveling from west to east and are looking for an Oklahoma state park (or others welcomed) recommendation. We will be working for the week and will need cell phone coverage (Verizon). Ideally it would be a campground with hiking trails and a waterway (river, lake) for kayaking. The location in OK is not important.

The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Brad, we overnited in Red Rock Canyon SP near (I think) Hinton, OK. We loved it but didn't explore it since we were just passing through. I got into some bad ice there and ended up with a sore head next day. I think it is off I40.

Reach out to Okie Gent here on the forums , he is a native and may have some suggestions.

Just beware of the bad ice.

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
There are 43 Oklahoma state parks with RV campsites. Check out Oklahoma Map - State Parks | - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site. One glitch on the map; The icon for Great Plains State Park is actually misplaced; it should be between Altus and Lawton, near the town of Snyder. The icon is actually where the Quartz Mountain Nature Park, on the shore of Lake Altus-Lugert, is located. There's camping there, too, but Lake Altus-Lugert is currently about 16 feet below normal, leaving all of the boat ramps high and dry, so I can't recommend that one at this time.

Not a State Park, but there is also camping at Lake Carl Blackwell. The lake is owned by Oklahoma State University (my alma mater). You can get info at Oklahoma State University.

I used to live in Oklahoma when I was a young'un, but haven't been camping there since I graduated from Oklahoma State. Hope to hit an Oklahoma State Park sometime this year (maybe Hochatown SP on Broken Bow Lake), when I can wrangle a whole week off from work to make it worth driving that far.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Lake Murray State Park. First class. Water, Hiking, great bicycling, and of course full hookup. But stock your wine cellar before Oklahoma. Prices there are outrageous.
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
We stayed at Natural Falls State Park in West Siloam Springs, OK (northeast) on our way to a forums rally in Arkansas. Really nice park, full hookups and easy accessibility. We really like the state parks in Oklahoma, they do a good job with ‘em.
Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Thanks all - some great recommendations. I think our plans may change a bit and we may end up spending more time in NM.

BTW, Lake Murray sounds perfect!

The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote