Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Ohio to New Mexico early December

My in-laws live in Cedar Crest, New Mexico, a suburb of Albuquerque in the Sandia mountains at an elevation of 6500 feet. My wife wants to visit them in early December. The easiest way for us to visit is to take our Airstream and boondock in their driveway.
I am a bit concerned about weather that time of year. Anyone have experience with I70 to I40 around that time. Do I need to worry about ice and snow?
They really don't have space for us and our 2 dogs to stay with them. Should we not take a chance or am I being too cautious?

Richard

Old 10-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
My in-laws live in Cedar Crest, New Mexico, a suburb of Albuquerque in the Sandia mountains at an elevation of 6500 feet. My wife wants to visit them in early December. The easiest way for us to visit is to take our Airstream and boondock in their driveway.
I am a bit concerned about weather that time of year. Anyone have experience with I70 to I40 around that time. Do I need to worry about ice and snow?
They really don't have space for us and our 2 dogs to stay with them. Should we not take a chance or am I being too cautious?

Richard
I don't think you are too cautious. I pulled my Airstream back from Syracuse NY the first week of January this year. I picked a weather window, and went for it.

My advice is to get South quickly as possible. Maybe I-75 to I-40 just south of Knoxville. To be safe I would take I-75 to I-24 at Chattanooga. Then I-59 to Birmingham to Pick up I-20 down to I-10. That would put you well South of the weather. I have learned in winter to pick a window and go.

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Clinton , Indiana
Early December is normally OK for the route you have selected; however there is always wisdom in getting below the frost line asap.... If you decide to route through Little Rock, expect rough roads around the city; other members can give you a more updated road report. Good luck and happy adventures.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Albuquerque , New Mexico
not even remotely like winter or even fall here in Albuquerque this year.

I expect December will be very mild. Coming from the eastern NM, from Santa Rosa the elevation rises, so the chance of ice increases. But, if there is a storm, it won't last long.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
For the past 8 years I've traveled from Jackson Center OH to Casa Grande AZ, usually in early November. I have made the trip as late as the first week of December. Weather patterns change, and I've had to do the white knuckle drive with ice on the roads, which is why I choose early November.

In general:

1 - monitor accuweather or Weather Underground. WU has a road trip planner which will show you what the weather is likely to be at each point on your drive.

2 - know that if there is any rain or snow, bridges and culverts will have black ice on the them, particularly once the sun sets.

3 - drive only during daylight hours - it reduces the ice and moose or elk will not be standing on the highway.

4 - even if the route is longer, plan to head south right at the beginning (to I-10) and then head west.

Safe travels.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote