Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Ohio Pyle State Park, Pennsylvania

Has anyone camped at Ohio Pyle SP in PA? If so, is it nice? By that I mean, clean, hot showers, trees mixed in with the campsites, etc?

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Haven't stayed there but went to a Buckwheat Festival that was a AS moment. We were traveling away from Falling Water and stumbled on to Ohio Pyle. Picked up our buckwheat dinner and had it in our AS with our furry friends. Then drove on through. Good luck. It's a beautiful area.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
Ohiopyle

I camped at Ohiopyle last year. As I recall, the bathrooms were acceptable and the water was hot. I would remember if it was especially nice or a disaster. It was clean and the water was hot. Beyond that, what more could you want. The campsites were decent and private. However, the appeal of Ohiopyle is the surrounding area more than the campground. Falling Water is a must see. If you enjoy biking, hiking, waterfalls, of white water rafting, you will be in heaven. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous. We stayed in the loop with the Yurts and we had a good deal of privacy. As I recall, there was a loop furthest away from the amphitheater had the most trees but there were many tents in that loop and I am not sure it would be easy to navigate the Airstream in that section. The area is definitely an undiscovered gem for those who are not from Pittsburgh. Enjoy.
TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We stayed at a KOA MAdison one exit down from Ohiopyle and it was very nice - about 20 minutes from Falling Water (a must see), Kentuck Knob (another must see) and the Yough.

We camped at Ohiopyle State PArk years ago and we remember that it got a little rowdy with all the river rats. Can't remember much about the facilities - growing old and feeble and we can remember no more!

Have a great trip and be sure to see BOTH FLW homes - you won't be disappointed!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I had a reservation at Ohiopyle in October 2009 to see Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob. I ended up changing my reservation because at that time they didn't allow dogs. Now it looks like you can have dogs in sites 103-109, 159-175.

Both Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob were incredible with peak fall colors. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
I am originally from Southwest PA. and have been there many times. I recommend a river rafting trip. It's a blast. You do it with others and it is very safe and a wonderful way to see some back river country not accessible in any other way. There are several rafting outfits there that provide the raft and a bus ride back to the park when it's over. The Old grist mill next to a covered bridge make for great Photo shots.
You can swim , wade and frolic in the beautiful river and spend a day just touring the
river and sights along it. If you have never been there it's a must see. You will never forget the experience.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks everyone for your info.

I went to Ohio Pyle SP many, many years ago (mid 1970's); tent camped, went white-water rafting (what a rush!), and went to Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" home (also, stopped by and went through it again years later when passing through the area). I agree this is a beautiful area. Since it had been so long since we've camped there, I didn't know how things might have changed.

Steve and Susan -- What do you mean "both" FLW's homes? Is there another one other than Falling Waters? (Falling Waters has such a pull on me -- I just fell in love with it, so peaceful and serene. I can only imagine how wonderful it must have been to go there to stay for vacations, weekends, etc. How fortunate for them.)

We have friends who have a SOB, and we are planning a weekend trip with them, so I naturally thought of Ohio Pyle/Falling Waters, etc; I know they will really enjoy Falling Waters. I didn't want to suggest it to our friends if the shower rooms/bathrooms were not clean.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hall View Post
What do you mean "both" FLW's homes? Is there another one other than Falling Waters?
Kentuck Knob is another Frank Lloyd Wright home only a mile from Ohiopyle State Park. http://www.kentuckknob.com/

No photos are allowed inside, but here's what I took of the exterior.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Steve,

How wonderful! Thanks so much for the info on Kentuck Knob.

Deb
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Been to many state parks in PA. In my opinion, this is the best park in PA. (Although the natural waterslides are hard on your rear end.) Rafting trip is a must. The showers are hot and heated in winter and air conditioned in summer. very secluded. Very easy hike to downtown via trails, if you enjoy that kind of thing. Anyway, enjoy.
gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Tinloaf thanks for the pictures of Kentuck Knob. The FLR houses are amazing! We were there a year ago. The pictures make me want to go back. Beautiful.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
PA state parks

As a child we used to camp in the cabins at Promised Land in PA in/near the Pocano Mountains. Very nice memories.

Any recommendations on other "must see" PA State Parks for Airstreaming. It seems many PA parks offer more or only tent camping.

369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Ohio Pyle state park

Ohio Pyle is the best in our opinion this place is a must see
gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Right on the rail trail too for biking.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ride motorcycles down to the park every weekend we are home and in good weather. Beautiful park, well run, new visitor center with vista of falls. Good anytime of the year, fabulous in Fall. Bicycle trail is abandoned railroad and runs from Pittsburgh to Baltimore. Hard packed earth or stone, easy grades and easy ride. Runs right along or above the river. Well worth the trip.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote