Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2005, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Ohio folks -- need your $.02 worth!

My wife and I are about to acquire a 27' 1978 AS pending visual inspection for a pretty good deal from what our research tells us. It doesn't appear to need anything right off the bat, and comes already having been refurbed once (who knows how long ago), recoated at the factory, and in otherwise good condition.

Since I have been reviewing this site for the past week, and finding all kinds of worthwhile information, my question is not of hitches, tow vehicles, or Toyota vs The World. Rather, it is of camping locations.

I know we're coming close to the end of the season here in Ohio, and by the time we get everything together for our unit, we're only going to have a small timeframe before storage. However, before we ante up for a seasonal spot up by Lake Erie next year, we would like to take the AS out for a test spin for a weekend somewhere preferrably in northern Ohio. All I'm interested in is a nice, scenic location that accepts doggies and has the appropriate hook-ups and amenities suitable for first timers.

Hopefully with a couple days' experience under our belts, we can judge what we want and need over the winter months for the next season. Any and all help is very appreciated!

Scott
osp6179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
My first weekend out in a new rv is always in the driveway. If you have problems tools are a few steps away; no matter how good it looks there will be items to deal with.
Forgetting housekeeping items, clothing, food is no big deal. Tanks can be dumped in the sewer cleanout or septic tank. A shakedown cruise without the cruise, and headache of coming back aggravated from the unexpected.
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Best Ohio State Parks rated by DNR

Congrats on your vintage!
Here's a link to best Ohio State parks, rated by the Ohio DNR.
http://usparks.about.com/od/national...stparks_oh.htm
They also have a map which shows the parks near cities, you click on the area you want and can get details about the campgrounds, reservations, etc.
Happy camping!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Welcome!!

Hi Scott! This is a fabulous place for you to find information and tips.
Larry and I are in Lorain County, Ohio. We also have a vintage. Ours is a 78 Argosy 8.7 m. Minuet. We have been working on it for awhile. There are several forums members right here in northern Ohio. PM us if you are interested in that.

We would second the motion about the driveway camping for your first time out. Unless you are not allowed to park there, or don't have room in your driveway.
You didn't say whether you are familiar with the systems etc. But the driveway would be a good place to test your skills.

We are joining the Forums members in Michigan this weekend at Covenant Hills Campground at Otisville, or we would invite you down. We don't have a lot of scenery but have hookups for guests in our driveway and Larry is very handy if anything goes wrong. Maybe you can come down for a visit when we get home.

Lou and Larry - Ohio Buckeyes!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
I appreciate the very good idea of a driveway camp...however, I don't think the driveway would be long enough or flat enough. Quite a grade! There are a couple camp grounds fairly close to our residence, but I would also like to gain some experience with towing. Last vehicle I towed was in the military...and that little trailer behind a big dump truck probably isn't the same. Even though we're going to be parking it for the summer, most likely in one spot, I want to get enough tow time in to feel more comfortable with the idea. I will certainly take tools with me, thanks for the reminder!

At least with the systems, I won't be flying totally blind, as my father-in-law will show me the ins and outs of everything. He's been servicing campers for decades, so he's probably trustworthy. Still an in-law. Maybe an out-law. Nonetheless, he's the guilty one for instigating this deal, so we have to be nice to him. Perhaps his experience will help offset a little of the newbie-itis.

Tin Sista, thanks for the link. We will investigate that for potential sites.
Loudruff, we appreciate the hopitality and might be able to arrange something in the future! If nothing else, maybe get ideas on what we can do with the AS. My wife is already contemplating motifs for the interior...

Keep'em coming, and thanks again!
Scott
osp6179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Not in Ohio, but just over the border, off I90 is Virginia's Beach Campground on the shore of Lake Erie.

At the entrance to Presque Isle Stata Park is Sara's Campground. They do not take reservations, but it is possible to camp right on the beach, but without your pets. Pet camping is allowed across the street.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote