Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Oh, the potholes

Just got back from a trip to Nashville from Dallas. Suffice it to say I have found a new reason (as if I needed one,) to hate I-40 through Arkansas and Western Tennesee. Recent winter weather has left the surface pocked with teeth-jarring potholes. The surface between Little Rock and Memphis is nearly an obstacle course. They are patching them with hot mix but that isn't staying in many places. Other places the craters are as deep as 3 inches and can take up the whole lane. Passing lanes are somewhat better but traffic stacks up behind you even if you are towing at 65.

Will be going through and tightening every cabinet door and screw that I can find this coming weekend. Will also take the Tundra in for front end alignment check.

Hopefully these will get fixed but given the usual condition of this east-west truck conduit, I thought I would put a heads up out there for anyone who is contemplating using this route.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Sounds like a "shovel ready job".

How were the contents in you Airstream after your trip?

I can just only imagine the roads in New England after all the snow they've had.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Yet another good reason to travel on the secondary and state roads.
It getting for me less and less enjoyable to be out there dicing it up with all the fast trafic and trucks on the interstates. Plus the experiences to be had in the little out of the way towns is completely different and in a good way to those at interstate stops. It makes for slower going for sure, but I find traveling that way a pleasure in its self.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
It getting for me less and less enjoyable to be out there dicing it up with all the fast trafic and trucks on the interstates. Plus the experiences to be had in the little out of the way towns is completely different and in a good way to those at interstate stops. It makes for slower going for sure, but I find traveling that way a pleasure in its self.
Of course, US highways and State highways may have the same lack-of-maintenance problems as the Interstate highway system, if not more so, because there's never enough repair money to go around and the heavily-trafficked roads get the lion's share of the money. But if you have to put up with potholes anyway, then doing it on a less-traveled yet more scenic road is usually better.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Sounds like a "shovel ready job".

How were the contents in you Airstream after your trip?

I can just only imagine the roads in New England after all the snow they've had.

Kelvin
Kelvin

surprisingly, other than pillows dislodged from the L-shaped sofa and a couple of the plastic lense covers off the ceiling lights, most of the contents were in pretty good shape. Opening the overhead storage can be an adventure, but that goes for multi-million dollar airplanes as well, so I can't fault my little 23 foot Airstream too much for that. No broken eggs in the refrigerator... so I must have done a half decent job of pothole avoidance.

Dana
Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post

Cheers Richard

Ordinarily I would be in total agreement on the roads less traveled, but with finite vacation time and wanting to spend as much time at destination visiting our son as possible, Interstates are a necessary evil. I haven't calculated the time savings over using the other highways, but as it is two days of 6 hours of towing back to back (each way) within a 9 day period are about all I want, so even it if was possible to use other roads at the cost of an additional hour or so (probably two) I'm not sure its a price I would want to pay to avoid the trucks and potholes.

Dana
Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

That's what we were thinking when we drove through Indy and back instead of around it.

Ended up with all new tires for our TV. Yay!

mrgrank9
mrfrank9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Just got back from a trip to Nashville from Dallas. Suffice it to say I have found a new reason (as if I needed one,) to hate I-40 through Arkansas and Western Tennesee. Recent winter weather has left the surface pocked with teeth-jarring potholes. The surface between Little Rock and Memphis is nearly an obstacle course. They are patching them with hot mix but that isn't staying in many places. Other places the craters are as deep as 3 inches and can take up the whole lane. Passing lanes are somewhat better but traffic stacks up behind you even if you are towing at 65.

Will be going through and tightening every cabinet door and screw that I can find this coming weekend. Will also take the Tundra in for front end alignment check.

Hopefully these will get fixed but given the usual condition of this east-west truck conduit, I thought I would put a heads up out there for anyone who is contemplating using this route.

Dana
Welcome to the four seasons ... plus one more ...road repair season. Now you understand the meaning of the phrase "spring break up"!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote