Old 09-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Oh Lordy...

Well, the time has come for the first journey. Although it's only about 20 minutes away, I'm the equivalent of a camping vir...well, that has it's own implications, so disregard. Let's just say I haven't camped at all, but my wife has, and it's been a while!!!

We're starting off with a little rain today, but apparently it's supposed to clear up and be nice. A good thing, because the only things I have planned to do is exterior work.

I will be taking shots of the rig when we're setup, along with any glitches that come up. That couldn't happen, could it?

Will update upon our return...wish us luck!

Scott

Old 09-23-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Well then, Good Luck!

My wife and I often scoot down to the beach for a night or two of camping, and it's only 15min or so away.
It takes much longer to get ready and clean up afterwards, but the recreation value is actually higher than going on a huge long trip. Besides, you can go home if you get scared or something.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Scott, you might like to look at this thread for details of check lists when you start out on a trip:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...eck+list+start
Good luck!
Nick.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Scott,
Have a great time and be safe!

We are headed out today for a 3 day weekend also. It is still over 100 in Phoenix and it is always great to get to the cool mountains. We have only been on a handful of trips with the A/S (Had a popup for 18 years). We use the checklist the PO provided to make sure everything is ready to go. We also have a pad and pen by the door. Everytime we think of something that we should have brought with us, we write it down. We work off of that list when we get back home. It works for us.

Good luck!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by osp6179
Well, the time has come for the first journey. Although it's only about 20 minutes away........
Scott
Susan and I are new to RVing as well, but not to camping. A friend of ours who is an experienced RVer recommended exactly what you are doing. First time out stay close to home. I think this is especially important with vintage trailers like ours. Everything may work just fine in the comfort of your driveway for a few hours, but after pulling it down the road a ways and running the systems for a couple of days, problems may start to crop up. If you're close to home........

Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy the weekend.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Well, we're back and in one piece. The weather cooperated, providing cool nights and sunny days. I think the mental stress of wanting to get everything right on the first go 'round was more exhausting than setting up and tearing down.

The biggest issue was my complete inexperience with gas/LP appliances and needing the patience to fire them up. Everything worked fine though, and came to life once I got my ducks in a row. After all of that, I ran into the biggest problem of all. Let it be known that I have no future as an arsonist--the camp fire was most troublesome. In time we got that going, and all the while, the family never broke out the cold cuts and potato salad, somehow knowing that I would not be defeated!

We stayed at Schaun Acres near Oberlin/Wellington, Ohio, and would recommend it to anyone. Everyone there was friendly, from the staff to the neighbors, and the facilities were very good.

Once I am able to download the few pics that I have to the computer, I will post them here and eventually in my photo section.

Thanks for the tips and tricks, we found ourselves writing things down the whole time as well.

Scott
Old 09-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Campfire tip: Use a fireplace starter log - ignore the directions about mixing it with real wood - your outside. Add small logs on top once it's going.

Ask your spouse to fix you a drink whilst you mysteriously and quickly get the fire going.. Maintain an air of awesome (and humble) competence.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Campfire tip: Use a fireplace starter log - ignore the directions about mixing it with real wood - your outside. Add small logs on top once it's going.

Ask your spouse to fix you a drink whilst you mysteriously and quickly get the fire going.. Maintain an air of awesome (and humble) competence.
Or, if you're brave and fearless, sober and without very small children, use a small dose of lighter fluid. Starter logs are much safer, but lighter fluid is where it's at. Zinged eyebrows and all. (I hope you know I'm kidding.....)
However, most importantly, strictly adhere to Janet's suggestion on maintaining an air of awsome competence, etc. etc.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet

you can always fill a tire up with diesel fuel, and light her up.... if you want a fire that'll last, that is. might want to do that downwind of your trailer... especially if it's polished.

NOT EPA recommended, but fun none the less.

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I second the suggestion for fire logs. Also try those hugh matches for starting log fires. They burn a while and are really helpful. Where are the pictures?
Old 09-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
We stayed at Schaun Acres near Oberlin/Wellington, Ohio, and would recommend it to anyone. Everyone there was friendly, from the staff to the neighbors, and the facilities were very good.

Scott
Scott,
The next time you come camping toward our backyard, give us a call. We are only a few miles from Schaun Acres and camping is free here!! We have hookups. We live about 10 min.(maybe less) from there!! Would have joined you if we had known your destination!!

We are planning on an impromptu Fall Forums rally with Lou Patterson and Crew in Tipton, Michigan which is not too far from where you are. Maybe you can investigate the thread at: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=18258

Hope you will have a chance to join us!
Lou and Larry
La Grange, OH
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #12
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
....Let it be known that I have no future as an arsonist--the camp fire was most troublesome.....
Scott
I know that I'm going to get "flammed" for this (pun intended), but if you want to learn to do this the old fashioned way, go buy two books (cheap). The Bot Scout Handbook and the Boy Scout Fieldbook. They are actually dang good tools for learning basic camping skills (not associated with Airstreams!). And yes, I really am serious!

Congrats on a succesful "maiden voyage". Now, post the pics!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
HDS
2 Rivet Member

Scott,
By all means come to Lou's rally at Tipton. You can watch me park, set up and tear down, should be good for a lot of laughs. Maybe I can put out some fires for you too. It's good when things work, huh. Glad you had a good time.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
I know that I'm going to get "flammed" for this (pun intended), but if you want to learn to do this the old fashioned way, go buy two books (cheap). The Bot Scout Handbook and the Boy Scout Fieldbook. They are actually dang good tools for learning basic camping skills (not associated with Airstreams!). And yes, I really am serious!
Jim
They are great to use to start a fire, especially by actually using them to ignite the fire with...