Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Thumbs up Pics

First, thanks to all for the tips and tricks. I will personally guarantee that fires will not be a problem next year!

LOUDRUFF--my apologies on totally forgetting about your standing invitation. The campground is just minutes from the in-laws, who got this whole thing going for us, so we wanted to invite them out for dinner. But, my wife would've KILLED for WIFI! If we end up deciding to make another excursion this year, we might be in touch. She just started a new job and is in the middle of a master's program, and my state gig won't allow too many opportunites to get prime days off. We'll meet up eventually.

As for the rally, having said all that, I won't be able to make it. We'll have to start one a little closer to home so I might be able to attend if I can't get the weekend off!

Pictures are posted here, if things go well, and also in my member's section. Sorry for the delay folks, I was exhausted yesterday when we got home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wCurbdogs.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	14835   Click image for larger version

Name:	wCurbside.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	14836  

Name:	wEscapehatch.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	14837   Click image for larger version

Name:	wNikita.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	14838  

Name:	wRiley.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	14839   Click image for larger version

Name:	wRoadrear.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	14840  

Name:	wRoadside.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	14841  

Old 09-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #16
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
They are great to use to start a fire, especially by actually using them to ignite the fire with...
I knew it the minute I hit the send button! LOL!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Welcome!!!
We also have a 1976 27ft Overlander. Any questions that I can help with please let me know!!
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Glad to hear that the trip went well! We met a couple this weekend who had their SOB trailer out for the first time also. It was a good time for them also. I took this picture of two of our girls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gracieandsmokie.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	14845  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:13 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by osp6179
The biggest issue was my complete inexperience with gas/LP appliances and needing the patience to fire them up. Everything worked fine though, and came to life once I got my ducks in a row.
Thanks for the tips and tricks, we found ourselves writing things down the whole time as well.

Scott
Scott, next time out, when yo want to light the LP stuff, turn on the LP supply, then go inside and turn on a burner on the stove. You will have to hold your lighting tool at the burner for a few seconds before the gas gets into the lines, and displces the air. When the burner lights, you can then go around the rest of the coach, lighting appliances, with much less wait time than trying to light each pilot individually, the stove will remove more air from the lines faster than waiting for the pilot to perform the same task.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeep
Welcome!!!
We also have a 1976 27ft Overlander. Any questions that I can help with please let me know!!
Wanna come over and shine mine up? I've been eyeballing your photos to try to make up my mind with what to do...my wife just rolls her eyes...
Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Wanna come over and shine mine up? I've been eyeballing your photos to try to make up my mind with what to do...my wife just rolls her eyes...
Scott,
Thanks for the nice comments... We sure do love "Spirit" I wonder if our Overlanders were made close to the same time. Our vin #is a Jackson Center # and it was serial #1710 in the 1975 year. Just like today, it was built in 75 but called a 76 model.
I noticed some slight differences on our trailers; we have the upper vista windows and the Aluminum wheels. I wonder if these differences were from the factory or changed later?
Do you have the "Brady Bunch" wall covering in the bath? What were they thinking in the 70's...
We have a huge fresh tank (50 gal) but a small grey around (15 gal) and a (20 gal) black tank.
Be careful with your stairs espically if you use the lower one. One of the screws pulled out and a friend almost took a tumble.. I did replace the screw, and now we use a "safety step" instead of the lower fold out step.

Look forward to more photos and stories from your future trips!!
Hensley Hitch
Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Quote:
Our vin #is a Jackson Center # and it was serial #1710 in the 1975 year. Just like today, it was built in 75 but called a 76 model.
Haven't delved that far into the vin reading, but if you could enlighten me, it'd be interesting to find out. I'm guessing big time, but the fifth digit is a '6' and the last four are 3436...perhaps 1976 and #3436?

Quote:
I noticed some slight differences on our trailers; we have the upper vista windows and the Aluminum wheels. I wonder if these differences were from the factory or changed later?
Do you have the "Brady Bunch" wall covering in the bath? What were they thinking in the 70's...
We have a huge fresh tank (50 gal) but a small grey around (15 gal) and a (20 gal) black tank.
I wouldn't mind the vista windows, but the ones I've got came with a great deal! While the trailer I have seems to have some extra options from the factory, I was also surprised to see the steel wheels with crusty caps. I imagine that they're original, as I am the second owner, and the first didn't change anything. And yes, the bath is FLOWER POWER all the way. I'm thinking the wife will change that. Our fresh is also 50, but the gray seems to be 20, and I couldn't tell you what the black tank is. Only being out for a weekend since we've had it hasn't allowed me much acquaintance time with the unit.

Quote:
Be careful with your stairs espically if you use the lower one. One of the screws pulled out and a friend almost took a tumble.. I did replace the screw, and now we use a "safety step" instead of the lower fold out step.
The screws were also loose on ours, and all but one could be tightened. So far they are structurally sound, and didn't hear any complaints. I believe that there may be some type of deck at our seasonal site...and if not, there will be...so steps won't be necessary.

No pics until next season, unless you want to see me drinking a coffee at the shop after I get done winterizing it. I could invert an old picture and post it if needed...

I haven't seen anyone else on here with a 76 Overlander, 27', so it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Scott
Old 09-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Haven't delved that far into the vin reading, but if you could enlighten me, it'd be interesting to find out. I'm guessing big time, but the fifth digit is a '6' and the last four are 3436...perhaps 1976 and #3436?
Scott,
Check this link :http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...pre1980vin.pdf

We have a VIN# I27D6J1710 or an I= International; 27= feet; D=double w/rear bath (we changed to twins) 6=1976; J= Jackson Center ;1710 =serial #
I wonder if your trailer came from Jackson Ctr? If so it is "newer" by some 1700 units or 700 units depending on the serial #. It seems that in the 1960s 3 place serial #s and in the 1970s 4 place numbers were used. From what I have read it seems that the factory did change some things during the year.
Let me know what your Vin reveals...
Hensley Hitch
Old 09-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

, Ohio
Just as we suspected, vajeep. It's an International twin rear bath 27' made in 76, serial 3436, from Jackson Center. Might be newer but yours looks better!