Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Oh, Canada!

We're taking advantage of the fee-free Canadian parks pass this year and traveling with the family from Portland to Banff this summer! My husband wants to explore Calgary on the way, and we agreed that we'd like to spend one night in a hotel to stretch out and walk around a bit. The main obstacle would be in parking and leaving the trailer. I sent a reservation request to Calgary West Campground, but they said their storage is first come, first served. I'd hate to book a hotel room, and then not be able to find a safe place to leave the AS. Anyone else we should contact?

THANKS!
polyester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Check with this camp ground in Cochrane; http://www.bowriversedge.com Its a nice place and they might have the ability to help you out. At least its on the road between Calgary and Banff.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Put an ad on Craigslist, Calgary edition, requesting paid parking space in a driveway. Calgarians a.k.a. Canada's "Texans," are extremely friendly and helpful.

The province is currently in an economic slump due to the low oil prices, and a home/business owner might appreciate the $, but I bet most will waive it.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
You might want to check the WBCCI membership book for complimentary parking listings for the Calgary area.
Also, check out http://traveldrumheller.com/ if you have family members that like dinosaurs.
curioscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Good ideas, guys, thank you! I'd be happy to pay to park in a driveway. We should probably offer that to travelers as well, as that is where we currently keep our Airstream. Drumheller is on our list of interests, but I don't think we'll have time to go that direction this time around; but we do have a little boy that would probably love to go out there next time.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the roads are like throughout Banff and also Glacier, both of which we'll be passing through? I'm concerned about the elevation gain and width of the mountain roads. I'm sure there are many a trailer that have traveled these roads, but this is new territory for us and I'm also new to trailer hauling and in a state of perpetual concern for challenges. My SUV already seems to struggle a bit getting the little Bambi up steep hills, and I can only imagine how steep they may get in those mountain ranges. I posted about these concerns in another thread, but almost everyone tried to assure me that it was normal for an engine to rev going up hills and not to be too worried as long as I'm within towing capacity, which we should be.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
If you are on the Trans Canada Highway (#1) the maximum grade is 6%.

I don't think you will have any problem. If you head off on to the backroads, you can find steeper and narrower.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
This is the route we have planned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7568.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	284601
Old 05-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
If you have 2-3 extra days go north out of Banff to Jasper. The Icefield parkway is in a valley between two mountain ranges. You would swear that the Architect strung a line to set the valley straight. Jasper is another National park. Athabaska falls is on the way there. It's about a half day drive one way.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Hi I have a couple of recommendations. Consider figuring out your hotel in Calgary now. Find out which if any would allow you to park in their lot during your stay, we did that last year after being in Canada for 2 weeks. Holiday Inn in Helena Mt allowed it with no problem. We had to unhook, we were able to walk and use TV for errands. Also consider coming south on highway 22. It's just the plains of Canada but we found it better than driving the big busy freeways. We also stayed in the hot springs are. Took a raft trip on the Kootenai River very fun. Check it out. We pull a 25 ft Classic with a f150 ecoboost engine? No problem roads are good.
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Do keep in mind that the parks are expected to be fully booked, and then some, this year. With free access for the 150th celebration, much has already been booked.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Our campsites are already booked, so yeah, little wiggle room now on our route. Just trying to work out our stay in Calgary.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
What are the roads like through Banff? Well, millions of tourists bring millions of dollars to the government coffers, so the feds like to keep 'em happy. I think the highway through Banff is probably the best in Canada. Four lanes of smooth, relatively flat concrete, peppered by novelty wildlife overpasses. Where else can you drive under a deer or bear?

However, they also do not want any speed-related carnage that may traumatize the tourists etc. No where in Canada will you see more R.C.M.P. officers. I doubt if a speeding ticket comes with complimentary tea for two at the Banff Springs Hotel...but if s/he is dressed in red serge, they'll probably pose for a photo, sans horse.

There is also extensive road work on the B.C./Alberta highways during the summer. So, expect a few delays. No worries with an Airstream. I'd just hop into the trailer, make myself a little snack, sip some cold soda from fridge, use the loo if necessary, and wait it out. Lucky us!

BTW, I wrote about my trip to Banff/Calgary in "Welcome to the Breakfast Show." I'll try to find the exact link and repost here.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Odyssey to Alberta begins here. Pages 35 - 44 of "Welcome to the Breakfast Show," post 481...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-83210-35.html

Boy, I haven't read that for a couple of years. What a trip!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Odyssey to Alberta begins here. Pages 35 - 44 of "Welcome to the Breakfast Show," post 481...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-83210-35.html

Boy, I haven't read that for a couple of years. What a trip!
Hahaha, that was a fun read and pretty much covers some of the things I thought we might face. At least we have a spot reserved in Banff! Hopefully there will be no night traveling or fights for us, and I'm still worried about any "Smashers" we might meet along our route.

My favorite part of the story was probably the drooling head of the grass driving the truck. Nice.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I second Gearharts recommendation. We essentially made the same trip a few years ago although we entered Canada on Hwy 539. We didn't have any problem with the grades or roads on our trip. I had a little difficulty seeing the route your map but it does look like you are going through Browning MT on 464 to highway 2. If so, good job. We got on highway 89 to the west Glacier Park area in 2010 and it was a NIGHTMARE!

As far as saying in a hotel for a night. Maybe leave the trailer in the Banff campground and stay a night in downtown Banff might work.

One more thing. If you like trains, stop at the Izzak Walton Inn in Essex MT. Nice lunch on the patio watching trains go by. It is a current "helper station" and the Inn is very interesting. (Not to mention it makes a good backdrop for your rig)

We loved this trip. You're in for a real treat.

Picture attached where we stopped for lunch after clearing customs on hwy 17.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
I second Gearharts recommendation. We essentially made the same trip a few years ago although we entered Canada on Hwy 539. We didn't have any problem with the grades or roads on our trip. I had a little difficulty seeing the route your map but it does look like you are going through Browning MT on 464 to highway 2. If so, good job. We got on highway 89 to the west Glacier Park area in 2010 and it was a NIGHTMARE!

As far as saying in a hotel for a night. Maybe leave the trailer in the Banff campground and stay a night in downtown Banff might work.

One more thing. If you like trains, stop at the Izzak Walton Inn in Essex MT. Nice lunch on the patio watching trains go by. It is a current "helper station" and the Inn is very interesting. (Not to mention it makes a good backdrop for your rig)

We loved this trip. You're in for a real treat.

Picture attached where we stopped for lunch after clearing customs on hwy 17.

Uh oh. What exactly was nightmarish about hwy 89?

I've noticed that Google Maps gives me a couple of different routes through Glacier depending (I'm guessing) on traffic. So yes, the screen capture I posted earlier would be going through Browning. But that seems to skirt around most of the park. The other option would be "going to the sun" road running right by Lake McDonald and through the center of the park, which was just highly recommended by a friend who grew up in the area. Either way, it looks like we'd end up on 89 on the East side, but that runs N and S, so I'm trying to follow how else you might have crossed through. I am worried about the roads, but also concerned about traffic and travel time in general. We have to be sure to get through customs and over to Waterton, which will be our final destination at the end of the day. By the way, we will be staying in Spokane on our way to and from Banff, just to give a clear Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7575.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	284778idea of where the loop begins and ends.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We encountered really tight turns and a very narrow highway. A good number of cattle on the road as well. Someone said that there is a sign that says trailers are not recommended but we must have missed it. I don't think Ive ever been as exhausted as I was going from Browning to St Mary's. If your staying at one of the campgrounds in St Mary's you will be fine coming in from the north (btw we liked the KOA in east glacier but it was a little spendy). When leaving go to Bab, 464 to Browning, then highway 2 that goes south of the Park. Also, they will not let you tow a trailer on Going to the Sun nor would you want to. Im pretty sure that the RV park websites will back me up.
Customs went pretty quick coming out of Waterton. We were maybe second in line so it only took ten minutes or so.
Feel free to PM me if you want any more info. Im going by the storage yard so Ill grab the diary and see if there was anything I missed.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I would suggest that you seriously consider turning south off of TransCanada 1 and take highway 40, the Kananaskis Trail to Longview, then to Waterton. This is one of the most scenic roads I have driven and the valley has the highest concentration of grizzly bears in North America, so I was told by a Cranmore resident. the road is in excellent condition.

I was also told by a Calgary resident that Waterton is the windiest place in Canada, but it is spectacular. Then you could head to East Glacier.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I would suggest that you seriously consider turning south off of TransCanada 1 and take highway 40, the Kananaskis Trail to Longview, then to Waterton. This is one of the most scenic roads I have driven and the valley has the highest concentration of grizzly bears in North America, so I was told by a Cranmore resident. the road is in excellent condition.

I was also told by a Calgary resident that Waterton is the windiest place in Canada, but it is spectacular. Then you could head to East Glacier.
Is Hwy #40 not gravel? We drove it last fall while fly fishing and it was pretty sure at least sections of it was gravel.
As for Waterton being the windiest place, I'm thinking that would be Pincher Creek west of Waterton.....lol
We drove the Hwy straight south of Waterton last fell on our way to Whitefish and it was a fine road, no tight turns only a few cows....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12079449_883396191755389_6108904346226333610_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	284803  
Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Hwy 40 is gravel in places, a forestry road in places, and paved in other places. Make sure you know what to expect before heading down any particular section.

We rode Hwy 40 from Kananaskis up to the summit of Highwood Pass last year. It is a draw for cyclists, as it is the highest paved pass in Canada. Great scenery. Some steeper sections, lots of curves.

By way of contrast, the Trans Canada near Canmore, where it intersects Hwy 40, is shown in the second shot.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	284815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	284816  

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote