Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Florence, Or

The drive from Brookings to Florence was very scenic. The roads were good, but speed was again limited due to curves and grades. Two days of sun is a really good thing, and it seems we are going to have sun into next week.

The coastline here is really beautiful. The Oregon Dunes are a wonder because of their height, trees grow, rivers flow, and the sand dams that make lakes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0049.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	972.3 KB
ID:	64004
We unhitched in Florence and then continued up the 101 to see Sea Lions and a Lighthouse. We thought the Sea Lion thing was going to be a tourist thing, but boy were we surprised. The pictures I took in the cave did not come out, but they were there and it was a really good look at a natural habitat. Outside the photos came out.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	64005

The light house was just about a mile further, and the views on the walk up to it were really something.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	552.8 KB
ID:	64006 This was really an unexpected surprise. If it hadn't been for the atlas I'm using pointing out things on each map we would have never known about either of these. The drive was starting to get more narrow with sharper switchbacks so I was glad we were leaving the 101 east to Eugene and Portland.

Old town Florence is a nice place to stroll through, and get some fresh fish. There is a small harbor there alongside the old town and its restaurants. This would be a nice destination stop all on its own.

Name:	DSC_0079.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	998.0 KB
ID:	64007

_____Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Portland & Beyond

The trip East from Florence to Portland was a good one. We stayed at a real nice park in Wilsonville, just South of the city. While there we saw some friends who suggested we go to the Columbia River Gorge which we did. Another treat to add to our trip. I had never seen water falls this close, and the river is just huge.

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	931.5 KB
ID:	64304

Rivers in Texas just don't compare to this one. Seeing the hydroelectric dams was neat too. The waterfalls, as I said, were beautiful.

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	64305Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	64306

The next two legs could have been planned better, as far as miles are concerned. After about 2500+ miles, I'm starting to get a little road weary and my back tires out a bit sooner.

That said the stop in Hermiston, OR could have been up into Washington. I had scheduled this for two nights, but after arriving we decided that one night was plenty. Eastern Oregon is quite a bit like Muleshoe, TX near Lubbock, but you need to add some rolling hills. It's a dry part of the State that's under irrigation for farming. Local sights include an Army chemical warfare depot that stores wonderful things from WWI & WWII, and a bombing range with unexploded ordinance.

The next day was North to Spokane, WA . Nice park, but again I should have planned a stop a bit further closer to Glacier NP; our ultimate destination.

We drove I90 East through Idaho into Montana, and turned North at the sign for Glacier. This was a leg that was about 90 miles too long. We were on a secondary road with grades and no shoulders - kind of like what y'all kept me off of in California. The difference here was no ocean, and just as steep a drop off. The views were dramatic, but it added time because our speed was down to 40-45 for about 50 miles. Then there was the detour caused by the house being moved down the highway, and a dean-in-your-tracks traffic jam just 15 miles from our stop that lasted a good 45 minutes. I traveled over 3000 miles, in tow, without one traffic jam until I get just South of the Canadian border on a back highway. Go figure.

We're now in Hungry Horse, MT for 5 nights to take in as much of the NP as we have time for. This will include a day of rest tomorrow, which is sorely needed. Time for laundry, trailer cleaning, etc.

From here we turn right towards Texas via Colorado Springs. This won't be a fun leg either because of the distance. I've added an extra day so that no one day will be too long. I think my bones are getting ready for home. Too many travel days I fear, but when you're touring the Pacific coastline you gotta travel there, travel up the coast, and then travel home again. Not as many destinations will be scheduled on our next trip so we can stay put longer.

_________Tom

Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Tom,
After a few days at home, you'll forget the long days and have the great memories left of all of the beautiful scenery.
What a great trip! Nice photos and documentation of your travels. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Tom,
After a few days at home, you'll forget the long days and have the great memories left of all of the beautiful scenery.
What a great trip! Nice photos and documentation of your travels. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Dave
I shouldn't post after a long day of towing. How can I stay tired when I'm camping between giant Christmas trees? The park, Mountain Meadows, in Hungry Horse has really nice sites, and each one gives you the feeling of seclusion. The hosts/owners have accommodated both of my requests to move my reservation ahead. Plus, strong wifi. The following are of the park.

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	64379Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	909.2 KB
ID:	64380

We drove into Glacier NP today, and we were both totally rejuvenated. This is a really beautiful park. We went as far as Lake Mitchell Lodge to sign up for a lake tour and a red bus all day tour. Our last day here will be on our own using the shuttle system to get around. Once again we had a cloudy, but cool day. It's still beautiful. The pics are of the lake and surrounding mountains. If you look closely at the first there's a navigation buoy in the middle - not a beer can.

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	957.6 KB
ID:	64381Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	834.8 KB
ID:	64382

_______Tom

Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
On Lake Macdonald

The one hour boat tour out on Lake Macdonald was fabulous. The views were something out of a picture book. The water color, calmness of the lake, and its' reflections are a direct cause of the glaciers. Our guide/captain explained that the mountains are all sedimentary rocks, which are soft. As the glacier moved, it crushed the rocks creating glacial dust. The dust remained behind and remains about 5' under the surface of the lake. The result is spectacular, as these pics show.

Name:	DSC_0008.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	959.5 KB
ID:	64512Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	1,013.5 KB
ID:	64513

This tour was really a precursor to the Red Bus Going to the Sun tour we scheduled for the next day. What a grand finale to our vacation! This is a beautiful, beautiful place. If interested, y'all should check my blog for the rest of the pictures. The best time would be anytime Monday.

What fun I've had. The rest of the trip is just hookin' it to San Angelo to help my Mother-in-Law; so I won't post after we leave here on Monday. I hope everyone has enjoyed the pictures. Now we have to decide which to print/frame, and that's going to be tough.

_________Tom

Old 07-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
If you get a chance, Try some huckleberry ice cream or milkshake. we were there in 2000 and found a small drive in selling huckleberry ice cream ,milkshakes, jelly and syrup. yum yum. A great young couple made it locally. I have enjoyed your blog and the pictures. Have a safe trip home.

kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Tom

From the pictures and comments you have shared you have had quite a trip. Congratulations.

Have a safe journey home. On the road you should see quite a few hotrods as they have been converging at Kalispell, MT for a run this weekend. Many of them tow vintage trailers and some of those are Airstreams.

Travel safe,
Barry
Old 07-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie1935 View Post
If you get a chance, Try some huckleberry ice cream or milkshake. we were there in 2000 and found a small drive in selling huckleberry ice cream ,milkshakes, jelly and syrup. yum yum. A great young couple made it locally. I have enjoyed your blog and the pictures. Have a safe trip home.

kay
Thanks Kay. We did try the Huckleberry treats and agree with you - they are yummy.

tom

Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Tom

From the pictures and comments you have shared you have had quite a trip. Congratulations.

Have a safe journey home. On the road you should see quite a few hotrods as they have been converging at Kalispell, MT for a run this weekend. Many of them tow vintage trailers and some of those are Airstreams.

Travel safe,
Barry
We did see a bunch of vintage autos running around, but none were in tow. In Billings, MT for the evening, and trying to readjust to warm weather before we it the furnace awaiting us - called home.

tom

Old 07-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #70
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tom, I think it was as high as 110˚ in Oklahoma and in the 100's in Texas yesterday. Furnace is right.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Tom, I think it was as high as 110˚ in Oklahoma and in the 100's in Texas yesterday. Furnace is right.

Gene
Well, it's 95 about 25 miles north of Colorado Springs. First time I've ever had to use my 4wd to get to my space. Talk about a climb! Fuel is 4.46 p/g. Into New Mexico tomorrow, and then Lubbock. No shade in either place. Gads, what a welcome back to Texas this is going to be.

____Tom