Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Flagstaff

I made it just fine. I left Gallup about 8:45AM Gallup time, and the weather was cool and no winds. The AZ portion of the interstate was in much better condition. The traffic was light so I slowed to 60mph, and watched my mpg climb to 14mpg. A welcomed sight. Arrived at the capmground just fine. This KOA is older, but very well maintained with friendly staff. They didn't strip the mountain side and put down gravel, so plenty of trees to listen to. I'm parked next to a shimmering Aspen.

Yesterday, I revisited the Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki Pueblo National Monuments. Still just as awesome as they were 7 years ago. Here are two pics of the Wukoki Pueblo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	62726

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	548.9 KB
ID:	62727

I hiked a trail in the Sunset Crater area, trudging up a hillside of volcanic ash/cinder. It's very similar to climbing a sand dune. The elevation here is over 7000' and the grade was mighty steep for me so I did my share of panting. Downhill was easier, but you still had to not slide down.

I think I'm going to go to Walnut Canyon before I get back on the highway. I sure needed this layover. Four travel days and I was really tired. Now I'm hanging at the trailer, and I'm going to try to see if I can post a link to the blog I've started so everyone may see more pics than I'm going to post here.

___________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Pismo

I will be at Pismo the 5-8th then up to Pfieffer the through the 11th. Perhaps we will cross paths...I will be looking for shiny objects everywhere I go.
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Just honk, wave, knock on the door or whatever you can. I haven't seen any Airstreams while on the highway. There have been some in a few of the places I've stayed though.

Safe travels.

__________Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Are you coming thru LA?

And if so when and where? are you still sending the towncar for your bride at the airport?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm View Post
And if so when and where? are you still sending the towncar for your bride at the airport?
Yes, I will be in LA this Friday, 6/27, and will leave the following Monday. We're staying at the KOA in Pomona near the fairgrounds. My DW has told me to take the money I'd spend on the towncar, and buy her a steak dinner. Maybe several. She's acquired a steak deficiency staying in China.

_____Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
If you pick her up at LAX on a Friday

........you will both need steak dinners and cocktails of choice. This is a fun place very close to where you are staying: *** Pomona Valley Mining Company *** Have fun while you are here. And gettin out of LA you may want to take the 210 to the 126 to Ventura, you will bypass a lot of traffic.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Welcome

Glad to hear that you are doing the TRIP I'm sure it will be one of many memories. I agree with str8strm regarding Pomona Valley mining company high on the hill and with a window table a view of the valley and freeway. Only mention freeway ie the 10 on a friday is grid lock oh I forgot you will be in it, breath deeeeep. We will be at East Shore RV park just around the corner from KOA from Friday to Sunday, stop by there is always a cold one with your name on it.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
OK, time for a Karma booster ...

I've spent a little too much time in China as well - so here's a little more karma to push you on down the road to the nearest steak house. The photos are beautiful - keep 'em coming. paula P.S. 101 in Dallas today
pcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm View Post
........you will both need steak dinners and cocktails of choice. This is a fun place very close to where you are staying: *** Pomona Valley Mining Company *** Have fun while you are here. And gettin out of LA you may want to take the 210 to the 126 to Ventura, you will bypass a lot of traffic.
Ron,

Thanks, once again, for the good advice for both a place to eat and a way out of town. I was just going to take the 10 to the 101, and head north. Now I know a better route, great.

______Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287 View Post
Glad to hear that you are doing the TRIP I'm sure it will be one of many memories. I agree with str8strm regarding Pomona Valley mining company high on the hill and with a window table a view of the valley and freeway. Only mention freeway ie the 10 on a friday is grid lock oh I forgot you will be in it, breath deeeeep. We will be at East Shore RV park just around the corner from KOA from Friday to Sunday, stop by there is always a cold one with your name on it.
Friday I will be coming into LA from Victorville - 56 miles from the RV park. So, I plan to leave for LA around 10AM. I hope to pull into the park before 2PM. I just hope this is an exaggeration and not reality.

My wife is supposed to arriive Saturday evening around 7PM or so. Again, call me a rube, but I'm hoping the freeways will not be too heavy on a Saturday night. I can probably coax her into moving sometime Sunday. Not sure though. Saturday she has to attend the graduation ceremonies, finish packing, get to the airport and hope that it leaves, and leaves on time, at 9PM their time. I hope she can catch some sleep on the plane.

I may just look y'all up Friday, if I ever get off of the fwy.

____tom

Old 06-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Tom,
Sounds like a great trip. Will you be coming through Santa Cruz on your journey north? If so, we'd love to say hello. We had a wonderful trip to the Oregon Coast last year and would be happy to share our experiences/travel tips, although you do sound very well-prepared!
In fact, if any other forum members are in the vicinity this summer, please feel free to PM us for local info., a desperate need for a glass of wine, etc.
Always here to help a fellow forum traveler on their way!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb View Post
Hi Tom,
Sounds like a great trip. Will you be coming through Santa Cruz on your journey north? If so, we'd love to say hello. We had a wonderful trip to the Oregon Coast last year and would be happy to share our experiences/travel tips, although you do sound very well-prepared!
In fact, if any other forum members are in the vicinity this summer, please feel free to PM us for local info., a desperate need for a glass of wine, etc.
Always here to help a fellow forum traveler on their way!
Hi Janet,

We will be staying in Marina on 7/6 & 7/7. From there we head to Petaluma. Maybe we could meet somewhere. My wife has friends somewhere up there. I'll need to coordinate with her.

tom

Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Marina is less than 30 min. away, so once you know whether you'll have time for a brief hello just give me a PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Walnut Canyon National Monument

Today I went to see some old cliff dwellings. The canyon was only about 10 miles from the trailer, so it was a short trip. The cliffside dwellings were home to the Sinagua indians some 800-900 years ago. They raised crops and hunted small animals.

The canyon walk was closed due to a landslide that was being removed. I did take the walk along the rim, and found it to be very pretty. The canyon is 20 miles long and 400 feet deep. It has 5 plantlife zones where you may see cactus varieties and black walnut trees.

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	62804

The dwellings were built inside weather-carved areas of the sandstone cliffsides.

Name:	DSC_0017.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	975.5 KB
ID:	62805

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	659.6 KB
ID:	62806

I hope that the multiple space are visible here. I enjoyed the trip, and would recommend it.

I'm fueled up, 4.67 p/g, and ready to head west in the morning to Kingman. I'll stay there over night to prepare for my desert dash the next morning into Apple Valley. I will stay in Victorville psychhing myself up for the freeway onslaught I face Friday morning on I10 to Pomona. I've got to pay for the relaxed traffic I've face up until then. Deep breathing all of the way for me, and a cold beer(s) at trip's end!

_________tom

Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Made it to LA

I left Victorville this morning with all sorts of visions with me stuck on some LA freeway for 8 hours and worse. I was at the RV park in Pomona by noon!! Wow, the traffic was light and similar to the traffic from other cities. I know I was fortunate, and I credit that to all of the Karma y'all have given me for this trip. The drivers tolerated me, and made allowances when I needed it. Amazing.

The trip to Kingman, AZ went smoothly with no crosswinds and light traffic. Fuel there was 4.50 p/g. The trip in to Victorville went equally as well, and the city park was nice. Fuel here was 4.99 p/g, or $120 for a tad over 1/2 a tank.

The whole trip has been a good one. Not much in the way of bad weather, and I was parked when that came in. No mishaps with the trailer or the Ex. I've been lucky, and hope that it continues. Driving from this point on will be easier because I'll have my navigator with me. There have been times when I really could have used one.

_______Tom

Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to LA

Glad your trip was so smooth getting to Pomona and hope you have a great time in LA. The freeways generally are marked for the cities (Sacramento or San Diego) rather than directions (north or south) which can be confusing or annoying when you have to make a choice. I think Cal Trans assumes everyone driving our freeways knows which direction the cities are located.

The 210 is one of our newer freeways so that route will be kinder to your rig. Keep us posted on your progress. I enjoy reading about your adventures. We are wishing you the best. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Glad the trafic was light, ya never know...

I'm not sure if your travel route included Hwy 1 or not, one current problem you need to be aware of is that Hwy 1 is closed between Cambria (Hwy 46 W) and Monterey - due to a large fire burning. You will need to go East on Hwy 46 to Hwy 101 then north. You can cut back over to Monterey and continue north on Hwy 1 if you wish.
Good travels,
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
There are alot of fires burning in central and northern CA due to over 8000 lightening strikes resulting in over 800 small fires. There are parts of HWY 1 closed near Big Sur, and I am sure there are other areas affected by the fires. Check for road closures before you venture to far north in California. Have fun, be safe!
Fireman in San Diego
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Morro Bay

I got my DW, but lost my wireless connection. Fair trade. We navigated through LA just fine, and have made it to Morro Bay. Checked in and no wireless - it's down. Came to a internet cafe to take care of things. Will post pics and stuff later.

______Tom

Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Smoke & Morro Rock

The drive to Morro Bay went off like a clock. We left Pomona at 8:45, and did not encounter any real heavy traffic. Diesel in LA cost $5.09 p/g, The trip to Morro Bay was a good one; even more so now that I have my navigator back. Lots of vineyards passed along the way, and it was neat seeing them growing on the flats and into the hills.

Got to Morro Bay around 2:00 and the sky was blue, and the air was a crisp 67. Morro Dunes is a very nice RV park, and we have a nice wide space. This pic shows the campsite with Morro Rock in the background.

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	63060

There are wildfires to the north of us that have the PCH closed just south of the Monterey area. As of today we'll have to return to the 101 to Salinas, and then back west to Marina. It's a shame about the fires and their destructiveness. I wish the fire fighter well; they certainly have their hands full. The last pic is Morro Rock taken this morning shrouded in smoke. I'm told it should clear this afternoon.

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	798.3 KB
ID:	63061

Off to see the area.

_____Tom