Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Good luck on your trip! You have a great route and I hope you have plenty of time to go slow and enjoy everything you see! One bit of advice from a California gal... as you near Northern California (within 200 miles of the Oregon border...) consider "waiting" to fuel up until you cross the Oregon border. California has a hefty gas tax...and unless you are running diesel the fuel in Oregon is often much cheaper... up to 40 cents a gallon in some places! Then, before you get to Washington, fill up in Oregon again... Washington prices are higher too...

The southern route you have planned is great... but might be "hot"! Hope you post oodles of pictures! Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History

Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
Good luck on your trip! You have a great route and I hope you have plenty of time to go slow and enjoy everything you see! One bit of advice from a California gal... as you near Northern California (within 200 miles of the Oregon border...) consider "waiting" to fuel up until you cross the Oregon border. California has a hefty gas tax...and unless you are running diesel the fuel in Oregon is often much cheaper... up to 40 cents a gallon in some places! Then, before you get to Washington, fill up in Oregon again... Washington prices are higher too...

The southern route you have planned is great... but might be "hot"! Hope you post oodles of pictures! Have fun!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
Well, I'm burning diesel so I'm stuck with California's 5.15 a gallon or more. I'm in Clovis, NM today and fuel here is 4.69. The trip up from San Angelo was a surprise. Green grass, and cool (76 - 86) temps all the way to Clovis. Not a West Texas summer. It must be Paula's karma that she gave me. I had also forgotten about just how many feedlots they have between Lubbock and Clovis. Very aromatic!

Clovis is not really a photo-op kind of town. So I'll wait for the pics. I'm also going to work on getting the blog linked here.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Gallup, NM where there's a bit more altitude, and maybe the cool weather will follow me.

Not sure what "southern" route you're referring to. For me that would have meant El Paso through Phoenix etc., and I'm never in the mood for 105-115 temps all the way past Needles. This is the coolest route I can take.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Wow, what a trip!! I'll be looking forward to reading about it. (Nice map, too). One question, though. As a truck driver these routes are all ones I followed, with some exceptions. Is it a matter of time, to & fro, to the coast? I realize your plans are locked in at this point, but I'd like to understand, if I may. These are all heavy commercial traffic lanes, so I wondered. (Albeit, they are also "fast").

Good luck. Will be curious too, about fuel consumption for the various legs (if you keep that sort of record), I enjoy having something to compare to, so your experience is invaluable to this armchair traveler.
Red,

Crossing east to west in New Mexico you are really limited to the Interstates. If I took the southern route, I10, the temps would not dip below 100 until after I got into California. This route has more altitude, and the temps haven't passed 93, hotter as we get well into summer. When I got up this morning in Clovis it was 64. I arrived in Gallup and it's 83, and supposed to go down to 46 overnight. Then Flagstaff, and more cool. My hot days will be from Flagstaff to Victorville, CA. My mileage has been a steady 13mpg, except for the wind I incountered between San Angelo and Clovis and that was 12mpg.

With the animals I have to be aware of the heat. To get out of Texas takes 2 days, and I chose a shorter route. Even if it was only 80 miles less than if I had gone to El Paso. Diesel in Gallup was 4.55 p/g; that's 17c cheaper than it was in Clovis.

I40 is in bad shape, and the traffic was almost always under the 75mph speed limit. When I could I drove at 65. They've got lane closures all the way across the State, and that slowed everyone down.

Looking forward to Flagstaff tomorrow. I rest my body, the trailer, and the Ex after 4 travel days. I'll get a chance to visit some cliff dwellings and take some pics. I'll be there for 4 days, and then head west again.

_____Tom

Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
That will give it time to cool down here in CA. It's been over 100 in most places including the coast. A cooling trend begins tomorrow according to the weather guy.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Great Trip!

You will love PCH and the many beachfront boondocking spots. Ask forgiveness and be ready to take off if they mess with you--We have been very fortunate over the years. I find it to be much easier heading south because you don't need to turn around to face the door west. The powers that can mess with you--envy you--and with good communication and a good attitude will let you be. Have a great trip!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
That will give it time to cool down here in CA. It's been over 100 in most places including the coast. A cooling trend begins tomorrow according to the weather guy.
Dave
Wow, the heat is why I'm leaving Texas! I hope it returns to normal in a week. I've been lucky with cool weather, and missing the storms so far. Oh well, if it's hot it will just feel like home.

__________Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Flagstaff

I made it just fine. I left Gallup about 8:45AM Gallup time, and the weather was cool and no winds. The AZ portion of the interstate was in much better condition. The traffic was light so I slowed to 60mph, and watched my mpg climb to 14mpg. A welcomed sight. Arrived at the capmground just fine. This KOA is older, but very well maintained with friendly staff. They didn't strip the mountain side and put down gravel, so plenty of trees to listen to. I'm parked next to a shimmering Aspen.

Yesterday, I revisited the Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki Pueblo National Monuments. Still just as awesome as they were 7 years ago. Here are two pics of the Wukoki Pueblo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	62726

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	548.9 KB
ID:	62727

I hiked a trail in the Sunset Crater area, trudging up a hillside of volcanic ash/cinder. It's very similar to climbing a sand dune. The elevation here is over 7000' and the grade was mighty steep for me so I did my share of panting. Downhill was easier, but you still had to not slide down.

I think I'm going to go to Walnut Canyon before I get back on the highway. I sure needed this layover. Four travel days and I was really tired. Now I'm hanging at the trailer, and I'm going to try to see if I can post a link to the blog I've started so everyone may see more pics than I'm going to post here.

___________Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Pismo

I will be at Pismo the 5-8th then up to Pfieffer the through the 11th. Perhaps we will cross paths...I will be looking for shiny objects everywhere I go.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Just honk, wave, knock on the door or whatever you can. I haven't seen any Airstreams while on the highway. There have been some in a few of the places I've stayed though.

Safe travels.

__________Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Are you coming thru LA?

And if so when and where? are you still sending the towncar for your bride at the airport?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm View Post
And if so when and where? are you still sending the towncar for your bride at the airport?
Yes, I will be in LA this Friday, 6/27, and will leave the following Monday. We're staying at the KOA in Pomona near the fairgrounds. My DW has told me to take the money I'd spend on the towncar, and buy her a steak dinner. Maybe several. She's acquired a steak deficiency staying in China.

_____Tom

Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
If you pick her up at LAX on a Friday

........you will both need steak dinners and cocktails of choice. This is a fun place very close to where you are staying: *** Pomona Valley Mining Company *** Have fun while you are here. And gettin out of LA you may want to take the 210 to the 126 to Ventura, you will bypass a lot of traffic.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Welcome

Glad to hear that you are doing the TRIP I'm sure it will be one of many memories. I agree with str8strm regarding Pomona Valley mining company high on the hill and with a window table a view of the valley and freeway. Only mention freeway ie the 10 on a friday is grid lock oh I forgot you will be in it, breath deeeeep. We will be at East Shore RV park just around the corner from KOA from Friday to Sunday, stop by there is always a cold one with your name on it.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
OK, time for a Karma booster ...

I've spent a little too much time in China as well - so here's a little more karma to push you on down the road to the nearest steak house. The photos are beautiful - keep 'em coming. paula P.S. 101 in Dallas today