Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Talking off to see the mothership!!!

hi all, we are off to take the factory tour at jackson center tomorrow, cant wait we live about 1hr or so away and We are like kids waiting to be let out of school Yeah for us , will post later on how we liked it !!!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
1. Remove credit cards and checkbooks before tour and visit to factory store.

2. Chant to yourself "Mine is paid for, mine is paid for..."

3. Do not visit an Airstream Dealer for a minimum of 72 hours.

mike

Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Based on my experience...

You cannot avoid a few purchases.....for yourself or others...

This is what happened on my first visit during my repairs...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/573637-post1.html
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Have fun! There was quite a variety on the line when I was there Monday. They had a Pan American toy hauler as well as a Eurostream.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tour is great, folks there are beyond nice and it is a great time. I agree, leave your credit card, wallet, and checkbook in the Airstream (if you take it there to camp at the factory campground).

Outside of some add ons to my Safari, I don't think I walked out of there with less than $200, maybe more than $300 in nick nacks and other maint gear.

The factory is all things aluminum!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We had a great time...We DID see the new toy hauler...SOOOO cool!!! and the 2009 Flying Clouds. What a fun day...and we only spent 150 dollars!!!! Had to have a flag for Bella, our 1994 Classic! If you get a chance....Go!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Runninbarre
Sorry we missed ya We were there Tuesday at HENSHEN(really nice pple there too)picking up 2 new axles for "MISS KITTY" and then stopped by the MOTHERSHIP for some goodies. License plate bracket and lite and a vent crank and some other goodies We got away at about $80.00
Its amazing to me that this makes only 3 times at Airstream and, Don your tour guide remembered Us from when he gave us the tour.
THESE are super people.Everyone is so friendly and helpful there.
I only wish that everyone who owns an AIRSTREAM can find the time to visit the MOTHERSHIP
ROGER
Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
On my visits to the mother ship i've found the front desk staff to have a general take it or leave it attitude. Not too friendly, not too rude, but just indifferent. No excitement about the brand in general. That's been my take anyhow on a few visits. I have not been on the floor when my trailer has been in the shop to talk with the techs though.

The dealer we bought from seems to sell excitement, but the plant doesn't seem to ooze with enthusiasm.

Anyone else seem let down when they visit JC? Could be that we're not senior citizens so we don't get the same treatment.

yakman
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
On my visits to the mother ship i've found the front desk staff to have a general take it or leave it attitude. Not too friendly, not too rude, but just indifferent. No excitement about the brand in general. That's been my take anyhow on a few visits. I have not been on the floor when my trailer has been in the shop to talk with the techs though.

The dealer we bought from seems to sell excitement, but the plant doesn't seem to ooze with enthusiasm.

Anyone else seem let down when they visit JC? Could be that we're not senior citizens so we don't get the same treatment.

yakman
Sadly enough, I would have to partially agree.

Part of the reason is that many of the staff do not own Airstreams themselves, so they do not feel what we feel. To them, it's a job. How many of them actually go out camping in one? Do you think JC even has a few for their employees share and use at their leisure?

Many who build and service these units have never spent a night in one, never been in one in the pouring rain to see leaks, etc.

From what I saw, mostly management and higher compensated executives have or use them.

Don, the tour guide, is the only "employee" that I know that had or still has one.

Additionally, one must think of the regional economics. Mostly Farms, not high tech or manufacturing.

The Airstream factory competes with the 2 local Honda factories that pay more and are in larger towns than JC. I believe that JC's isolation contributes to this attitude you feel.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So they are actually building the toy hauler. Interesting. I saw the pics of that unit posted here on the forum from the Louisville show. With gas prices being what they are, I'm shocked they took it out from concept.

When I was at Jackson Center 2x, both times I didn't find the staff to be indifferent at all. It was mind you three or more years ago when the economy was better and there were no mothballed employees (from what I've read on this forum). Economies like this can have a devastating effect on the manufacturing sector, particularly in rural America.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Were heading there the 15th of August, but unfortunately will only be there on a Saturday and won't get to see the factory or store. We may try to hit it on the way back.

Have fun.

Steve
Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
We'll be there soon!

On August 14th or 15th, we'll be stopping in to the Factory on our way to the Metro Detroit Rally.... it'll be my first.. and you can only imagine how excited I am about going. I will leave my wallet and things in the truck!
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
On August 14th or 15th, we'll be stopping in to the Factory on our way to the Metro Detroit Rally.... it'll be my first.. and you can only imagine how excited I am about going. I will leave my wallet and things in the truck!
Rob, we have a full hookup site for you if you want to stop in Ontario on the way back. Terry is working that weekend or we would be there.
Doug

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote