Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Off to LA....The Adventure begins

Well, The first major trip with my new AS. Packed and ready to go south to Newport Beach.

I did add a bunch of MODs of sorts to it.

1. Addressing the bathroom door and having no room to sit on the lav unless the door is open. Problem - people can see unless I intend to darken the shades everytime.

Solution:

Bed Bath and Beyond: Goal is to have an easier way of adding privacy. Using the slider rail for the built in room divider bought 12 shower hooks (luckily they come in packs of 12. and a Cloth Shower curtain. The distance from floor to rail is 74" and shower curtains come in 74" lengths. One panel is enough to screen.

2. Home Depot: Polished Aluminum hooks @ 3.94 a piece. elegant design and placed on inside of bathroom door, and outside on wardrobe doors - now a place to hang robes etc...

3. Key and Hats. Bed Bath and Beyond - coat rack from Umbra - hangs on the front right of the top cabinets over the couch. Nice sleek "Airstream" design. (Yes they said 'Air Stream" design. Brushed Aluminum.

4. Napkin Holder: Neat design - sits at the door on the laminate where the stove is. Design prevents paper towels from just flying off during travel.

Will post pictures after my arrival.... Anyways - everyone have a fabulous weekend - shall catch ya on the flip....

4. Aluminum
Old 10-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Hi Jody,
wish you a wonderful trip!!
Have loads of extra fun for all of us who have winterized already!

We have your same floorplan and many of the same little problems. Curious to see your pictures and compare how we solved them differently.

Love your coloured hanging wine glasses! Where do you keep the bar?
We have modified a tray to hold wine bottles in the cabinet under the spice rack.

Keys/wallet/sunglasses - that's a big one! I just bought a small alluminum bucket to hang next to the door but I'm not yet totally convinced it's the best solution. I know Umbra well, have other products from them (made in Italy ) can't wait to see your solution.

Garbage - this is a major one! In the few weeks we have owned Titan we have already changed 3 garbage cans and at least 5 different places for it.
Our winter project is to find (or build) an alluminum garbage can shaped as half a cylinder that we can mount under the collapsible end shelf near the stove - seen a few but all too big. It must be no deeper than that gap between the stove cabinet and the door frame. We can't put it on the floor because that's where we keep the dog's bowls (moved those many times, that's definetly the best spot. Already bought matching alluminum bowls that fit).
Any ideas?

Buon Viaggio!
Old 10-24-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Knowing LA traffic, may I suggest that you duct tape your left fingers together. That way you can not extend the middle finger which you may want to(many times)while driving there. Another plus, waving a duct taped hand is that some drivers may think you are injured and be more courteous. Have a GREAT TRIP!!!!
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:26 PM   #4
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Question

Will you be staying at the Dunes RV resort ? I highly recommend it

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:45 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Jody,
I am located just a few miles up SR55 from Newport Dunes.
Look me up if you need anything. I've got space and tools etc., just in case.
Check your PM for info.
Good Luck on your trip!
Old 10-29-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Uodate: It is now Wed, and finally figured out that to get my cell to work with my laptop - don't be inside the AS.
The drive was uneventful until I got down to LA. As you know from the news - fires are raging all over So Cal. Once I got past downtown - as my first night I was staying at a friends in Carlsbad... it was white knuckle driving... (never had time to flip people off as I was too worried about having to slam on brakes. Between the fog, the smoke and the ash that I had to drive through for 25 some miles.... I realized two things:

1. Why the marijuana laws exist in the state (to mellow you out - isn't road rage a ailment?)

2. I can never have kids because you have to balls of steel to drive 70mph in traffic towing a AS on I-5..

I am indeed staying at the Newport Dunes resort - which is not too bad. First few days were actually miserable weather wise. With all the smoke and ash being blown in - did not make for enjoyable outdorsy adventures.... But today at least wind is coming from the ocean and its nice and clear.

Kimili - I have quite a few ideas.... when I get to a land line I will post some pics of additional stuff I did....

Hope everyone is well!
Old 10-29-2003, 03:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Kimili - there are more in my photo album here and later my website...

Shows shelf added above microwave, paper towel rack, towel rack, and picture frames on cabinet door.

Shows the Umbra coat rack as a key / hat solution.

Towel Storage solution in bathroom
Old 10-29-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Some good ideas

I especially like the idea of the key hooks on the end of the forward overhead cabinet.

Nothingmakes the use of a trailer more pleasureable than those little items that the manufacturers either never include or do a very poor job of including. Something as simple as a hook for hot pads that is convenient to the stove.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:49 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Oh, but that is the fun part, putting your special touches on your trailer. AS does a nice job of starting you out. The details are up to you and your needs. Nice job there Jody.

Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Update on Trip....

Well met Uwe (great guy) while in Newport Beach. He recommended Pisbo Beach when driving up the Coast and have to say that was awesome for a stop. Best six bucks in a long time spent on camping - as you pull right on the beach. The only drawback was all the quads running around but after awhile you get used to it....Headed up the coast on RT 1 as much as possible until hitting around San Fran. Got some decent pics of the Golden State Bridge with the AS in it...

Then I decided to head to Reno, NV. Was told it would be great weather and a good time... it was like 18 degrees for the day I was there. It was actually just a bit too cold for my blood so I continued west to visit a friend in Traverse City, MI. In Wyoming, a piece of sand got in my eye as a 18 wheeler went flying by kicking up everything known to be on the road. It was snowing and of course the road was salted and sanded and lil ole me always leaves the window cracked for fresh air (those vent visors are supposed to keep stuff out)....

Huge snowstorm in the long run and so I pulled over at a TA to get the sand out of my eye and rest. There was so much black ice that it was difficult to drive anyways... Needless to say, for six hours the pain in my eye kept getting stronger.... until wsuch a point it was unbearable.. I must of flushed it 50 times and ended up driving to the Emergency room after about six hours of dealing with it... Ended up with a scratched retina and pupil... talk about pain too.... Well I took the day and rested.

I ended up back on the road and pulled that evening into another travel plaza looking for diesel - hit ice again and wrecked the entire right side of the AS. All the way down the side - but the good news is that I won and the concrete pole it it hit went down....

Made it to MI and visited friends (stayed at Holiday RV PArk in traverse City) and Monday drove down to Jackson Center and they are in the process at the moment reparing the damage... I have to say that hanging out at the local establishments does help get work done. They brought in two more people to start the work on the AS so I could be back on the road by the weekend... Visit Cooters the next time you are in Jackson Center - the owner Joe Smith - has a wealth of information about the history of the town and Airstreams. Apparently the bar originally was a cabinet manufactuer for the cabinets used in Airstreams around 68-75. Great drink prices as well and the food is your typical bar fare - but the atmosphere is really awesome and a number of people who frequent know people at Airstream - which is how I managed to get in so quickly. Joe also says that Dickey (President of AS) visits the establishment on a regular basis.

Mods I made on the road were the addition of blue LED lighting to all windows of the trailer so it has a blue glow at night.
Also got a new camera - the Canon EOS Rebel is a AWESOME digital camera which takes fabulous night shots....

So at the moment - all things considered - everything has been a good as to be expected considering the circumstances... I am staying in Sydney at a Holiday Inn for the next few nights as the AS gets put into "pre-loss" condition....Planning on doing the tour tomorrow and getting many more pictures of other AS that are in the travelers park at the Airstream Service center... But SOOOOOOOO looking forward to the drive back and getting home and what not....
Old 11-11-2003, 08:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
.......wrecked the entire right side of the AS

Bummer!!!

Not to be gruesome, but do you have before and after pics, and the cost of repair at AS?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Hey, I'm going to Kirkland, WA for Thanksgiving week! I've thought about icy roads, but I figured that since my A/S is four wheel drive, it can handle anything (doesn't the rear four count as such?)
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Jody,

How did you post several pictures in one message? I have been under the impression that you could only attach one.

What a trip you've had!

Jim
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Pics... damager estimate is somewhere around 9-12K - hit every lower panel down the side plus awning supports and door...

damage - door got the brunt of it....

Long View of the damage

Here is same side with my blue LED lights mod in place....

To add multiple pics just add multiple [ img ] with http://url (if in the Airstream photo album - drill down to the image and right click on pic and bring up properties - it will give you the url and you can clip and paste it... I typically open a notepad file and get all the pics urls - add descriptions and paste back into post) end with the [ /img ] without the spaces....
Old 11-11-2003, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
OUCH! Looking on the bright side if it had been an SOB more than likely you wouldn't still be towing it, you would be buying a new one

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
lighting

how did you install the blue led lighting. Did you wire it into the 12 volt system or do you plug it into the outlets? Thanks

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

The LEDs strips are from Target of all places - found them while in Cali... pricey though around 14$ - 24 for 5" to 9" set. Comes with two in each pack and with a cigarette lighter adapter with on/off on the adapter. I spliced all of the lights into a strand basically and secured the lights with velcro instead of the supplied tape. So at the moment I have the trailer divided into two sections for the lighting - the rear is on one cigarette adapter and the other is forward. I intend on modifing the wall mount switch for the exterior / ceiling light by the door so that the switch from the adapters will run off of that and get tied into the 12V system that way.... Note that if you splice muliple ones together you will need to increase the fuse appropiately....
Old 11-11-2003, 11:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Jody -
really sorry about your trailer.
Glad you're at the factory and are getting everything repaired right away.

Have a safe trip home.

Thank you for posting the pics. They're cute ideas. Couldn't see your solution for the garbage. When you have a chance I'd love to see your suggestion.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:32 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Jody---that's a bummer to happen. We also put our first ouch in ours while on vacation, BUT nothing like yours. A new back bumper ( we were close to Jackson Center ) & we're on our way. Had a sick feeling for some time. Really like those lights, great job. Watch the ice on the way home.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

this is the second day I have been here in Jackson Center. Today, I met probably eight people who work at different positions at Airstream. I checked in my AS at 9 this morning - by 2 this afternoon they had already corrected all of the structural issues and had the tail end replaced. By far, the best turn around I have ever seen having worked in the auto body industry - I truly expected a bunch of lip service. No, they had three guys assigned to get mu trai.ler ready for beeing on the road by the weekened. All in all, the best decision I ever made in terms of driving the 7 hrs out of the way - they are treating me right. I also have to say - visit Cooter Browns, if you are ever here. I made so many contacts, all sympathetic, all concious of QC issues, and the changes being made at Airstream... I never realized that all of the cabinets - PERIOD - were all hand made. Yes HAND MADE - they employ some 20 people just in the Wood Working Dept - they take the laminates - bend, scribe, and cut - to fit each individual trailer. I always thought they just bought cabinets made to order scenario - no - everything is done hand made from AS.

I chatted with guys who made cabinets, who did every single rivet - to the parts ordering guys - they ALL take pride in the work they do. And I think it is important to stress that the QC issues they are aware of - and that AS is addressing those top down which is how it needs to be done... They also have a HUGE apprecitation of the customers who come in. I talked a good hour with the guys about design issues and so forth and believe me - they hear you. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed by just their interaction with me and quite honestly how they dealt with my needs to get trailer to "pre-loss condition" as possible. Yes they admit they have issues and for some, have to deal with them more so than others (like me and the Safari), but they are aware, not only at the lower levels but upper maqnagement as well..... I know their have been some critical posts - but I am having the best experience. I dropped off at 9 this morning - aand by 2 his afternoon - they had 1/4 of the repairs done and took time out to show me HOW and WHY they reaparied my AS.... totally impressed am I..... totally...

I will post some inprogress pics in the AM.. but to let people know - the QC issues are being addressed and that the employees I talked to - they are just as concerned and if not more - than we are.... rest assured - its a good time to own one...

yours truly....