Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Jody ---it's refreshing & good to hear about your positive "adventure" at Jackson Center. Glad all is progressing well & looking forward to your pics. Have a safe journey from here on.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Question Questions questions & questions

Jody while at the factory have you had any discussion or indication about the attitude towards Vintage owners and their needs?
I know you have a 79 Ambassador or did at one time.

What tow are you using? Jeep or Ford 1 ton?

While in LA area did you go by and see Andy at Inland? or is he nearer San Diego?

Where did you buy your Safari?

Did Airstream know you were coming before you arrived? Sounds like you are getting the kings tour, do you attribute this to getting to know a bartender??????

Lastly, did you see a claims adjuster between wreck and factory?
Assuming that you are insured, who authorized repairs and how so quickly?

We should all hope to be so fortunate.
Happy trails
Sue
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:22 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Sue,

The 'Kings Tour' it is. But to be quite honest with you - it was the attitude I went in to Airstream that made all the difference. I had not called prior to and since I was in MI - I figured that IF they could not do the repairs - then at least I would get an estimate and have some kind of relationship formed that if I took it to a dealer in WA to get fixed - I could get through the insurance issues. I spent maybe 15 minutes talking to Rick March, and he gave me a list of options - and we agreed on timing, cost and so forth. 9:15 -, fifteen minutes after we had started and ended the discussion, it was already being torn down. Rick put three guys on it from start to finish. They basically had my trailer done yesterday. I am covering the cost of the repairs myself until I get home and deal with insurance there - I opted to do so, adding some difficulty to the scenario by weighing the two evils. 1. Have insurance wait 2 weeks to get me approved (I have not the time I HAVE to be in WA on Monday - as I own my own business and my clients are my number priority) etc 2. Have the repairs done by Airstream - which was my priority considering that it was less than 2 months old.

As far as my observations with vintage owners - I do not think anyone got any less of a level of service than I did. It was consistent regardless who you were or what you owned. I met a really nice couple with a 76 AS, damage to the rear quarter - their only delay was insurance - but they were out the door in three days as well I think.

The problem I think sometimes people have is understanding that typically you only hear the horror stories and everyone gets apprehensive about going into a dealer or even Airstream. I want people to know that I had nothing but the most positive experience. Several people over at Airstream personally looked me up when they heard from someone else I was looking for brushed nickel lighting for my AS to get rid of the white plastic ones installed. Several more looked me up just to meet me - as they had seen me on the forums and heard of my Jeep and some of the modifications I had made with my AS...

No, I think that the reason I have gotten to have such a good time here is 1. I took a bad experience and turned it around. 2. Realized that after talking with people there - that the REASON we have such Quality trailer is that everyone who works at AS is Quality and their pride shows from the assembly line, to the service dept, and to the customer service up front....

I bought my Safari from Great American RV in Tacoma, WA. Granted they may have been able to repair the damage... but they are not a AS only shop and I honestly did not like a repair they did on my storage pan (picky in terms of the rivets they used to fix a ding and popped rivets were not trimmed and obvisouly grossly oversized). I figured that with an '04 I wanted experienced people doing the work for this kind of work.

I am towing with my Ford F-350, which I have more stories about now lol Seems the storm we had the other night a huge sign rolled down the side.... sigh... but the yellow stripes look kinda cool... (yes trying to have a sense of humor here lol)

When I was in LA - I did not go to Inland - quite honestly I was busy enjoying the surf and sand than to do much else.

Like I said - I have spent time getting to know people here and so forth and well maybe my experience is different becuase I am so elated that they turned this around for me. But I think if I would of come into this with a pissy attitude - they still would of had the trailer done in the same amount of time... there isn't much in terms of discussions about "customers" and "oh they have that"... no the attitude is consisent - do the job right and give the customer quality in both product and service...

My thoughts - this will be my last post for a few days and next week will post up the pictures etc....See everyone on the flip (wait I should not flip anytime soon - ha ha...)

Have a safe and great weekend everyone...
Old 11-17-2003, 08:14 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

I am now safe and sound back in Washington State. What an adventure.

Friday - I discovered that AS does sell the the lid for the stove. In one of my earlier posts about one of the things I thought I was missing- the stove top lid that allows you to have counter storage where the burners are when not cooking. $38 I think and fits pretty much all of the 3 / 4 burner stoves. Can post part number for anyone interested. There is no real installation other than sliding it on and use it.

'Dickey' the President of AS, did stop by to see me and a handful of other customers, as did Dave Schauman. There are some great changes coming along from new line-ups to how Airstreams are ordered. They definitely have been listening to the frustrations posted on the forums about discrepancies in options and standard features. It was a nice ending to the trip to be able to relay my experiences and to meet these folks. Think about it - how often can you go to your "SOB" manufactuer and have such individualized service from the top down?

Took roughly two days to get back. The longest part of the adventure was in WA state were I HAD to go through Snoqualmie Pass... 4.5 hours to go 20 miles. 4 inches of snow and slush on the road...

Excerpt from CB conversation...

"Why is it going so slow up there?"

"Some moron in a big truck has his flashers on, and everyone is scared"

"Yeah, let me get up there to him and I will just ram into him for being a moron"...

I couldn't help but laugh at those guys... they went on and on... fact was I was keeping with the flow of traffic with safe braking distance... and if people did slow down around - they did the right thing... some 70 plus cars were stranded on the side from driving to fast and what not... 5 of which I watched as they tried taking the shoulder thinking "I have 4 WD and a lead foot"....

Although the further I listened to these two young blokes... the word "moron" kept being used to describe everyone else they decided to add in there conversation... I almost wanted to just transmit..."So you like the word moron do you? Was that what your folks named you when you were born..." then of course it would of been replied to with something like "Wait until I get up there I'll... blah blahh your blah blah." Of which I would of replied with "Well bring it on down there... morons are in season and four of my hunting buddies sitting with me are ready for some game...." Oh the imagination you get when white knuckle driving....

But alas... repairs are done, its home safe and sound... and well until the next adventure...

BTW Kimili... Will grab a pic for you this week.... my garbage solution is a elphant/safari oblong mesh basket from Pier One. Its dimesnsions are perfect for placing by the door on either side. It has two eye loops on either side so you can hang it if you would like. For storage I usually place it in the bathroom along with my shoes and it does go anywhere...Plus it is "Safari" styled... the african safari style that is...

Now back to the real world....
Old 11-17-2003, 05:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

This was the return trip home...

Picture of them laying the main skin - was a very interesting procedure they used - and everything was hand cut to fit.

Note: the gentleman on the right was Lawrence with 47 yrs with Airstream. He is retired and Airstream called him in specifically for my AS .

Posted all of the pictures of the repair and factory tour here:

Airstream Travels on WBCB.com
Old 11-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Hi Jody -

Happy you got home safely.

Had a question for you.
We're planning to change the roller shades on our 25' CCD with Aluminium venetian blinds - as I believe your safari comes with standard. We want to do this so we can control the amount of light, as well as for aesthetics. We saw them mounted on a 22' AS and noticed that the bottom bracket looks permanent and does not allow you to raise the blinds. We'd like to be able to do this.

Do your blinds work this way?
Could you please post a picture to show the mechanism?

Can't wait to see your "GRRRRRR" garbage solution!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
There are some great changes coming along from new line-ups to how Airstreams are ordered. They definitely have been listening to the frustrations posted on the forums about discrepancies in options and standard features.
Jody -- Could you please expand on line-ups and ordering when you get the chance? I think many would appreciate that.

You had a pretty fulfilling outcome with your repairs -- been following your postings since the start. Nothing is as bad as losing traction and helplessly watching the end result! I hope you have understanding insurance dealings.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:02 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Kim,

Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI
Hi Jody -

planning to change the roller shades on our 25' CCD with Aluminium venetian blinds - as I believe your safari comes with standard.
Actually, on my Safari - I only have ONE aluminum blind, which is the kitchen window. I too am planning on replacing all of mine with 1" Alumiminum blinds, and get rid of the curtains that are in place (replacing them with custom ones typically used in a house).

The ones from Airstream do have a rail that is locked down but it can be pushed out and pulled up. Works just like a house blind where you have the two tabs at the bottom the lower rail of the blind can latch into. You will be hard pressed to find anyone locally who carries them in stock. My intentions are to go to "Blinds R US" superstore and have them custom made.

There are Two approaches I recommend you consider.

1. Standard Fit: Measure the actual curtain rail dimensions, for height and width and add 1" to the length. The addition of 1" will give you some leeway when hanging them if you decide to either put the bottom lock in guides above or below the curtain rail. Each window will need to be measured seperately as well as the actual window lengths and widths will vary from 1-4" from each window (considerations are desks, cabinets, etc that will force you to change the dimensions to make it work).

2. Custom curve fit: THey do have the ability at a real blind shop to custom do curves for the blinds so that top and bottom will curves in the blinds so you could fit them INSIDE the window. I personally like this approach better as it allows you to keep the curtains. You will find that Aluminum blinds will not cut down on drafts at all - so if winter camping you might like the idea of having curtains. One both approaches it still is possible to have curtains but, it is tricker, and may make the use of the stock curtains difficult at best to use with the blinds without adding spacer bars to the curtain rails to push them out beyond the blinds in config #1.

I plan on this week getting to a real store and seeing what kind of prices - I am figuring anywhere between 80-150$ per window.

You COULD however, do a DIY makeover. Home Depot and other major home improement places do carry aluminum blinds coated in some color. If you are looking for the brushed aluminum look, you could take the time and effort and dissable the blinds and spray paint each with a aluminum style paint... it would take work - but you could get them cut to fit. If you do this approach, they are only capabable of cutting straight widths so option #1 for hanging will be the way to go... I recommend buying just one and seeing if you like the results and whether the effort is worth the savings from pro shop. Of course you could just go with colored blinds - cut to fit and hang - will run aroun $9 - 15$ per window, add another 5$ for shorter screws as you will not want to use the ones included...

Canoe,

Quote:
Jody -- Could you please expand on line-ups and ordering when you get the chance? I think many would appreciate that.
Biggest changes are coming along in how the dealer will know what options and floorplans are available. Currently, it is all paper. AS is revamping the website for a B2B scenario that will allow the dealer - ONLINE - with the customer place an order, select options, and any other custom build requirements.

So all the non-standard, standard, and optional specs will be present to both dealer and buyer prior to signing on the dotted line.

With the current system they have it is all paper as previously stated. This change will also reflect to the production plant as well. As you may or may not know, everything is done by hand from the laying of the floor, cabinets, etc. 19 different floorplans plus custom specs, those folks on the prod floor are responsible for. Each unit coming down the line can be totally different from the next etc.. so this should help expediate ordering and customer satisfaction, as well as improve upon the production.

There are something lke 5 new floorplans / models coming out next year... which of course just adds to the confusions between dealers etc... now with a one-stop resource, hopefully us AS customers now will have accurate information to purchase the RIGHT trailer based upon our needs knowing ALL options / floorplans / models available.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:58 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Kimili:

The blinds have hold-down brackets. All of the blind stores should know what you are talking about. Because of the curve of the Airstream your blind will snap into the sides of the bottom and easily snap out to raise the blind.

If you have "Three Day Blinds" in your area I think they carry brushed aluminum colored metal blinds. They also have hold- down brackets.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Jody & Louie

thank you so much for the info.
We'll take all the measurements this week and start the search for the perfect silver blind.

We don't have any of the stores you mention near us but the home depot carries a silver blind and there's a huge 'blinds to go' not too far from us. Still need to check it out.

We'll let you know what we find.