Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Off The Road

As it were...I guess we are on a maintenance break. Sittin in Hwy 71 RV Park in Cedar Creek, Texas...Doctors appointments....Maintenance on the TV and the Stream...visiting dw family...gettin dogs groomed. Hitch itch already

Headin out soon to Arkansas and then back to Texas and into Big Bend and then into New Mexico, Arizona, California for the winter
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Man, I hate it when that happens. Anytime our trailer or tow vehicle are not up to snuff, and ready to go, I'm very nervous about it until I can get them ready to go, weather we are planning on going somewhere or not.

Good luck with the repairs and the Doc's visit.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hey, kingfisher!

We call those "town days", which sometimes you just gotta do.

We loved Big Bend, but it is hundreds of miles from anywhere else, so stock up on everything before you go. If you get over to the Texas Gulf Coast, Padre Island National Seashore is beautiful and you can camp right on the beach with your National Park Pass! We spent four nights there and had a glorious time. Lots of good fishing right off the shore there, too. A friendly fisherman gave us a large sea trout, which we killed and cleaned (our first), then cooked on the beach.

We are in Louisiana, visiting some of our favorite haunts here, then a reunion in southern Mississippi next weekend before heading up the Natchez Trace toward home. Be heading back south and west mid-January and returning to Padre Island for at least part of that. Maybe we'll be able to make a connection.

Take care and ravel safe,

Maggie
Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi King,

Love Big Bend

Headed South myself, Quartzsite, Borrego Springs...

Maybe are paths will cross!

Be Safe,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Islander

Its one of those things

Doctors visits are just a check up sort of thing...no big deal...just doin it...

Truck just hit 100k and it is doing great...but i feel the need to get it serviced..but when you go to the dealer and talk with them...the confidence level goes to zero....like...I'm going to entrust my vehicle to these idots?????I don't have that warm feeling and may not do it at this time???

hard to guage
We have been to Big Bend, but never spent enough time. We want to go to Lajitas and I want to spend time at Big Bend Ranch State Park, as well as drive the road from there to Presidio...great road...and I want to go back and see the Marfa ligihts again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! soo much to see and time gets constrained.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	112774  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Truck just hit 100k and it is doing great...but i feel the need to get it serviced..but when you go to the dealer and talk with them...the confidence level goes to zero....like...I'm going to entrust my vehicle to these idots?????I don't have that warm feeling and may not do it at this time???

Thus the pleasure of DIY.

At the least, check service schedule for mileage greater than yours and do it all. Include a brake fluid change, not just coolant, trans, oil, axle. I'd also replace ALL the lamps -- interior and exterior -- as they tend to dim before they go dark. A relay-driven headlamp harness is also a sweet addition that you'll really notice (13V at the headlights vs 11.5 or so increases lumens considerably).

I'd consider the accessory drive belt if not earlier replaced (I prefer DAYCO above others if not dealer sourced). Replace tensioner as well.

Check suspension/body bushings as towing tends to wear them faster.

And polyurethane anti-roll bars bushings -- greaseable -- helps transient steering response (if so equipped).

The peculiarities of QuadraSteer should be investigated for wear points/components.

Get a tread depth gauge and do readings all across tire tread (16 points or so per tire) and calculate remaining tread life. A HUNTER GSP-9700 balancer (Road Force Balance) is state-of-the-art (DISCOUNT TIRE, among others; search HUNTER website for retail). Insist on LEXUS or MERCEDES level balancing (25 oz, calculated).

Good luck

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Insist on LEXUS or MERCEDES level balancing (25 oz, calculated).

OK, I'll risk what might be a dumb question - what does that mean ??

thanks!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Road Force Balancer spins up the combination, and the "dynamic" weight at that point -- centrifugal force -- is calculated. Those two car manufacturers have that weight point as a cut-off for tires to be mounted. The wheel/tire must be broken apart and the pair re-united to achieve a better balance. Etc. (One reason to buy MICHELIN is that they nearly always need next to no weight to balance out correctly. If they do, then insist on further examination of wheel and tire separately. It may be that the spare tire on your vehicle has a "better" wheel, etc).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
then I'm guessing that you might have meant to say '.25 oz' or '1/4 oz' ??

25 oz would be quite a bit out of balance !! that's the part that wasn't making sense....

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
Islander

itchin to hitch

and hit the road......got the doctors checkups out of the way and all is well....truck servicing is still in progress...had brakes checked at 104k miles...no services neededflushed the cooling system and transmission...changed the oil ...tires were replaced about 6k miles ago in cut bank, MT. we have found several plesant places in central texas while here; Inks Lake state park near Burnet and Sunset RV park at Wirtz dam in Marble Falls...both worth your time if you are in the area.

Today we are headed to Glen Rose Texas for the annual International Texas Longhorn Convention and Show...to see old friends and see the beautiful and magnificient cattle...we have raised and bred them in our past life.. and then a trek to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Lawton, OK...home of the government rescued ( in the late 1800) herd of Texas Longhorns to camp at camp Doris and then a trek across Oklahoma and in to Charleston, Arkansas before turning south to hit Leakey, TX and bound for Big Bend Ranch State Park before turning west into New Mexico..

bound for Pichaco Peak for a New Years Eve Rally with the 4CU...

still toying with trading the 25footer for a 30 or 31ft classic the three P's want moore room
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 10-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi kingfisher!

Glad you are doing well and ready to get back on the road. We got home last night---good to travel, but good to be home.

Travel safe,

Maggie