Old 09-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Thx for the nice update of information. I also worry it will be gone before we get a chance to use it. I used to live just up the block from there in Weehawken.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Hittenstiehl, last time we were there, the two places next to us were inhabited by folks from AZ. Nice people. Hope you get to visit, just as I hope to head to the southwest in the not too distant future!

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Note that the PATH trains can be very, very late. When the century old tunnels under the Hudson River were flooded by Hurricane Sandy, the salt water got into the concrete and is corroding the electrical and signal cables. There have been more and more problems with signals failing to work and trains stalled. People recently have been two hours late to work in Manhattan. The tunnels need to be completely redone but cannot be because they are at capacity. A new tunnel was supposed to be built, but the governor refused the federal billions because he said NJ would have to pay a lot too. NJ is now paying a lot because the tunnels are deteriorating. It will take 12 years to build a new one once everyone can agree what to do and how to pay for it. The governor now thinks he should be president though few other people seem to agree. Amtrak also uses them and if the tunnels fail to be usable, commuters will have a big problem and NYC will be without passenger service along the east coast. The CG in Jersey City certainly has an appeal and appears to be the only place near NYC were you could use rapid transit into the city and have your trailer nearby, but the PATH train problem may be an issue.

Gene
Old 09-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Good points Gene and LOL on the Gov. It is stupid that the tunnels along with a lot of other infrastructure in this country isn't being updated and or improved, but that is as far as I will go on that here on the Air forums ;-) . I can say that we have only had minimal delays in using the PATH, sometimes it seems they have to wait for other trains to clear, but it is just a few minutes. They also seem to have to slow down a good bit when they use the river tunnel. No doubt though that with the old infrastructure that problems can and do arise. That brings up another note, that there is commuter ferry service that leaves from the adjacent marina that also can be used by tourists. It's doesn't run as late or as often as the trains do though. It's worth noting that right behind the campground is a huge parking lot that is used by commuters. I remember backing up to the fence in the afternoon, going to bed in the evening, then waking up i the a.m., looking out the back window and seeing a car just a few feet behind the Airstream. Then looking out over the sea of vehicles that arrived in the early a.m while we were sleeping.

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote