Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Soyboy,

Thanks for the detailed response. I am recently retired from a company headquartered in the World Financial Center and have always wanted to visit NYC. However, as you say, the only introduction I've had is through crime movies and television shows. My wife and I have spent quite a bit of time in San Francisco, so urban life is not completely foreign to us. However, the large cities on the east coast are much larger and more intimidating (probably, just fear of the unknown).

Now, all I have to wonder about is how bad the surface street traffic is with our Bambi in tow. San Francisco was a little bit intimidating after taking a wrong turn and ending up downtown. OMG, those hills are something else.

Again, thanks for your insight. NYC is definitely on our bucket list...

Thanks,
Phoenix

Old 07-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
If you can "do" San Francisco, you will be fine in NYC. If you come in from the west and stay at Liberty you won't have to drive through NYC. However, your trailer will take a nice beating on our "winterized" and worn east coast highways! Hope you get there and enjoy your visit.

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
It has been many years since I was that way. There were some things that seem to stand out in my mind regarding RV travel in the northeast. One was was to plan your routes while towing to avoid tunnels as many prohibit propane tanks, even of they are turned off. Some bridges may post lane restrictions for RVs. Also some of the parkways leading towards Connecticut prohibit trailers. Those of us in the south and west rarely encounter toll roads and bridges, but they are relatively common along the east coast. Perhaps someone with local knowledge could elaborate on this further and recommend the best routes for towing a trailer into the area.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Anything named "Parkway" in NYC prohibits trailers and commercial traffic. I believe that is true of the Conn. too. I don't know about the Garden State Parkway. The GW bridge has one deck that prohibits trailers. Some of this information is in Woodall's campground books and available on the internet. I know certain tunnels require propane be turned off, but I have not read of any that prohibit propane tanks completely.

There are some cities with narrow streets and intense traffic where towing anything would be a challenge. NYC is one of them. If you want to go to Long Island, take an "expressway".

Soyboy is right about how people who are not used to big cities, feel out of place and perhaps intimidated. People from big cities can feel strange in the midwest without trees, billboards, buildings and traffic. Even though I grew up in NYC, it feels intense and closed in since I have lived in the mountains for many years. Part of the allure and strangeness of NYC is the intensity—it is a center of creativity, excitement and movement. People flow from place to place smoothly as if choreographed. If New Yorkers don't like something, they let it out instead of internalizing it. This intensity is in the air, it is palpable. I like it for about a week (driving in Manhattan is fun! It is like bumper cars, but for real), but have learned to appreciate quiet and long views across valleys and into the mountains.

Gene
Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Amen, Gene, I feel the same way, I love to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there...or any large city for that matter and I lived in Baltimore when I was young. When we moved out to Frederick at the foot of the Appalachian mountains that was it for me!
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Anything named "Parkway" in NYC prohibits trailers and commercial traffic. I believe that is true of the Conn. too. I don't know about the Garden State Parkway. The GW bridge has one deck that prohibits trailers.
To add some local clarification of what Gene said - the Garden State Parkway is Airstream friendly from top to bottom. Regarding the GW bridge, when towing you must stay on top level in both directions. We had friends venturing to a rally in the Bronx a few years ago who accidently wound up on the bottom level and they were turned around by the bridge police.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
I know this is a little off topic from the original question...

Given that we would absolutely prefer to be in a state or national park - or boon docking, we would go back to Liberty Harbor Marina in a heartbeat. Felt safe, totally great location.

I will admit that the first time we went there I was a little skeptical while driving through Jersey City, thinking what have we done. Once we got there we were thinking awesome! We took the ferry (literally right from the marina) into the city, and biked around Liberty Park (Statue of Liberty etc.). As long as you know about the prices and the fact that you are basically in a parking lot - not exactly a wilderness, you will be good here.

View from our site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4225.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	162698  
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Just to dot the i, we happened to stay at Liberty Harbor on the 4th of July several years ago, and from the campground (maybe 20 feet from our campsite) we watched the fireworks going off over lower Manhattan AND on the Jersey side near the Statue of Liberty at the same time. OMG, unbelievable. Pictures do not do justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4504.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	162699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4522.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	162700  

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
To add some local clarification of what Gene said - the Garden State Parkway is Airstream friendly from top to bottom. Regarding the GW bridge, when towing you must stay on top level in both directions.
Thanks for the clarification. I believe the tunnels to Manhattan are also unfriendly to trailers. I think the Verrazano Narrows Bridge is ok and may be the easiest way to Long Is. from the west and south. Before traveling to the area, best to check online because rules change. There are more rules in the northeast and mid-Atlantic states than most other places.

I guess there is no campground on Staten Is. or we'd would have heard about it by now. The nearest one to NYC on Long Is. seems to be in Old Bethpage which is a slow drive into Queens where you can take the subway the rest of the way.

Gene
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Floyd Bennett Field

For a little while I have considered boondocking at Floyd Bennett Field at Gateway National Park in NYC. Not only is the location ideal for touring, the Park itself has some great ammenities.

No hook ups yet, but this would be great for a couple of days.

Anyone ever visitied here? Might make for a great rally.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I guess there is no campground on Staten Is. or we'd would have heard about it by now.
As of Friday there is! Overnight camping comes to Fort Wadsworth - Gateway National Recreation Area But it's not Airstream ready just yet.

However, the National Park Service does have an area for RVs nearby @ $20/night. Camping at Gateway - Gateway National Recreation Area
It's in Brooklyn, near Coney Island, JFK, and about a 1/2 hour away from WTC. Mass transit makes stops at the Ranger Station.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
For a little while I have considered boondocking at Floyd Bennett Field at Gateway National Park in NYC. Not only is the location ideal for touring, the Park itself has some great ammenities.

No hook ups yet, but this would be great for a couple of days.

Anyone ever visitied here? Might make for a great rally.
Yes, we've stayed there twice now. Only 6 sites available for RVs, as of now. I'm sure it'll expand in the future but I think they're trying to figure out what they have there first.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
It appears that you basically are given a piece of tarmac for a campsite! I bet you could fit several hundred RVs without distubance.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Three years on since this thread started. FWIW I thought I would give a bit of an update pertinent to camping at Liberty Harbor. If anything, the neighborhood is getting even better. They have built several high rise "upscale" apartment buildings on Marin Blvd (the street that takes you back to the RV park/marina). These buildings are almost adjacent to the facility. As a matter of fact, I kind of worry that the park will be turned into a site for another building as it would certainly be a prime location. We feel even safer now walking back and forth to the PATH train station than we did just a few years ago. Like any urban area, anywhere, no matter how "nice", you should always keep your "radar" up and running and be alert to your surroundings. BTW if you don't feel like going into the city, say in the late afternoon right after you have arrived, please be aware that there are some really cool restaurants in Jersey City (it's getting gentrified) along with Hoboken, which is just a short light rail ride (the LR station is about a block from the RV park) away.

If you go to Hoboken hit Carlos (Cake Boss TV show) Bakery. Their stuff is really good (although the lines can be long) I strongly recommend the "Lobster Tails"! You could hit Hoboken for some baked goods in the a.m. and then catch the PATH there into the city for the day (the LR station in Hoboken is also the PATH and Jersey Transit station).

One other tip if you are not familiar with riding the PATH trains, please be aware when you go in the station to head into the city you will have 2 choices, the train up to mid town 33rd st/Penn Station (you come out by Macy's near the Empire State Building), that train also makes a number of stops on the way to 33rd. Or you can take a different train that goes over to the World Trade Center site/station in lower Manhattan near Wall St etc. Both of these trains will come through the same station/tracks at the Grove St. Station. Also bear in mind that during rush hour the trains can get very crowded, so it is best to schedule your trips around those peak times. Please note that you can download maps/schedules for the PATH trains.

You can also download a free app for your phone with info/maps for the NYC subway system. I won't get into that whole deal except to say it's a great way to move around the city, if you are going to be there for a few days/week you can by an "unlimited" pass for the NYC system, that makes it very handy. A couple of NYC subway tips: 1. figure out which train (A,B,C, 1,2,3 etc.) that you want before you get into the station, it will be much less confusing for you because at some stations a number of different trains arrive on the same tracks, but go to different destinations (just like the PATH trains in Jersey City), 2. be aware that some of the trains are "express" trains and don't stop at every station (been there, done that"). So make you you get a the correct one. One other note, if you get confused as to whether or not you are on the correct train, most New Yorkers are very helpful. Too me nicer in those situations that many "small town" folks (and I live in a "small" town/city). In any event, good luck and have fun!

TAC MD-6
AIR 4534