Old 08-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

LONG LIVE WALLY

I would just throw the letter away! I know that sounds horrible but major change won't occur with the club anytime soon. In addition, you don't need permission from Airstream or the club to hold events- they just won't be WBCCI sanctioned events. who cares about that anyway?
I love Wally but I'm not interested in putting up with the hassle of the club if its a negative experience. I have heard from more than one person I know that they quit the club (both were under 45).
We should just start our own 'club'.

roadtripjunkie

ps. I don't think the club or airstream has exclusive rights to Wally Byam anything! LONG LIVE WALLY

Old 08-20-2003, 09:11 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
WBCC NY Metro area

I finally got to talk to someone - very helpful - and guess what they told me?

Yes, the NY Metro area WBCC Unit is folding!

No one left to take care of it. The person I spoke to has moved to Arizona and she was one of the people in charge of it.

They're trying to hook us up with the Watchung unit but that's too far for us.
Plus its really not that suited for our situation.

So, what about strating our "AS NY metro area club"??!!

Anyone interested?

cheers
Kimili

Old 08-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
A unit in the club can be chartered by forming a new charter and meeting some criteria for intial members. This is what it may take to start the younger trend in the club. New unit's with no ties to the "old ways".

There are many benifits in being part of the club as a whole. One is liability insurance for rallies and gatherings. As much as you hate to think that your freind would sue if something happened at a rally, it can and they will. The Club sancioned events cover this kind of thing so as a member or event coordinator you are absolved of liability.

There are many other benifits but you would need to contact Jackson Center for the guidlines to charter.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Kimili & other NY'ers!

We just returned from the Statue of Liberty Rally. Wow, what a great time! It was so cool camping and looking over across the water at South Manhattan. Unbelievable. Did you see us over there on the Jersey shore?

We still consider ourselves the younger crowd. Not retired by any means! The WBCCI'ers are mostly older, but the vintage club is definitely the reason we're so happy to be members. I don't know how to say it, but the people in the VAC are really great folks who want to have a good time, get to know each other, and help one another. Our local unit has some nice folks for sure, but there is also a high fuddy-duddy factor!!!

As someone mentioned earlier, consider joining the DC unit which is essentially made up of VAC members from all over the country. I think I can speak on their behalf that they would welcome you and make you feel at home. I know not all of you have vintage trailers, but I don't think that matters at all! I jealous of that 2004 CCD! Wow...that would be THE trailer I'd buy if I had the $$$.

Have you seen the Happy Camper site? I met the originator at the International in VT. She's a NYC resident.
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:43 PM   #19
Kev

Hi KIMILI
I'd be interested if you start something in NYC. I'm about to join the WBCCI as a member at large. I'm not young but still not ready for retirement. I live in Manhattan during the week and go to Connecticut for weekends. Which is where I keep my AS. I'm new to Airstreams, so I'm on a steep learning curve right now.
Rgards,
Kev
Old 09-02-2003, 02:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Cool NEW AIRSTREAMERS

Hi everyone!

We finally heard back from the "NY Metro" unit. We spoke to the membership Chairman, a very helpful lady, who told us they've decided not to fold anymore and will continue with the unit.

Every year around October/November, they have a dinner/meeting at a chinese restaurant in Brooklyn, for all new, old and possible members.

She was very honest with us and told us that the average member in their unit is a good 30yrs older than us, but she invited us to the dinner anyway, so that we may meet them and then decide if we want to join.

We think it would be a great idea if we, "the new airstreamers", all went and got to know each other. As well as proposing/starting a "newer" branch of the unit, with their support and guidance.

It could be the start of many fantstic trips and caravans in pure Wally Beam style!!!!!

Anyone interested? let us know.

cheers
Kimili
Old 09-02-2003, 05:59 PM   #21
Kev

Hi Kimili,
Keep me posted about the dinner and or meeting.
Thanks,
Kev
Old 10-01-2003, 04:07 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Kimili: Also interested in any dinner or meeting.

I'm in my early 50's, still working, of course, and looking to buy my first AS. To see the new models I had to drive up around Poughkeepsie NY from Long Island as there is nobody in NYC who sells them, and they are almost nonexistent on the roads until one gets to upstate NY. I know about the dealership in Lakewood NJ but hate the Cross Bronx Expressway).

I am amazed by the camaraderie and depth of knowledge on this forum. Some of the restoration projects belong on HGTV ("This Old Trailer"...) All you need is video on this forum and many of us wouldn't need a TV anymore....

BTW, I will gladly exchange a digital video (on DVD of course) of anyone's A/S for a tour of one if you're in the NYC area. Titiels and music included. Let me know, I will bring the camera, take a tour and send you a video....I'm serious about that. No charge. May help someone when they want to sell / upgrade if they had a video tour.

Bob
Old 10-01-2003, 05:37 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
DINNER

DINNER: Haven't heard of a confirmed date yet but December seems to be the confirmed month. I'll double check with them next week and post dates for everyone here on the forums.

Quote:
hate the Cross Bronx Expressway
Oh yeah! Not too long ago I was stuck on it for 3 hrs!!! Unfortunately we have to deal with it on a weekly basis, live in NJ work nights at the family restaurant in Westchester, NY.

If you're really interested in purchasing a new one you'll have to shop around. There's also another AS dealer in NY, he's near Buffalo, a few hrs drive, but he's really nice.

Quote:
will gladly exchange a digital video (on DVD of course) of anyone's A/S for a tour of one if you're in the NYC area.
The official AS website aswell as many dealer's offer videos - virtual tours - of various AS models. You can check them out online for free.

Thanks for the free video offer but we're not selling. We'll gladly offer you a free tour of our AS though. We'll be in Long Island this weekend, camping in the North Fork.

Let us know
Old 10-02-2003, 11:51 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Re the video: Doesn't matter if you're selling - from what I gather most folks here aren't. I'm a Venture Crew Advisor (Venturing is a coed division of the Boy Scouts for 14-21 year olds) and I do a lot of video for my crew to promote Venturing. They give them out to interested kids on DVD.

Think that if Airstreamers had their own videos of their units - especially the vintage units - they could share them with friends, family and eventually forums like this as broadband connections increase.

Since I'm used to being a volunteer, I thought I'd volunteer my services here as well. The advice here on tow vehicles, hitches, refinishing, etc. is unavailable anywhere else and is so extensive that it's obvous that people volunteer hours of their time to advise and teach. Kinda like Scouting. Offer still stands to any AS'ers in NYC area.

Not ready to lay out $30K++ for a new AS yet, especially while the kid is in college, but the older ones look great for their age when they're well maintained.

I went to Holiday on Wheels in Patterson NY to look at new models. Quite an intimidating experience - way off the main road, nobody even asked us what we were interested in. Felt like we weren't welcome.

Bob
Old 10-02-2003, 02:12 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Think that if Airstreamers had their own videos of their units - especially the vintage units - they could share them with friends, family and eventually forums like this as broadband connections increase.
Gotcha!
Great idea! Maybe there could be a section in the "airstreamphotos" website with just videos/virtual tours.

Why don't you write to Andy the owner or maybe you can start a new thread just on this, to see how many members would be interested.

Vintage models are great but you need the time and place to fix them, we didn't have either. New is cool.

Anyway as stated in previous message we'll be in Long Island this weekend, camping in the North Fork. If you want to see a new one, swing on by
Old 10-08-2003, 06:36 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for spending the time with us this past weekend!

I'm currently in the AS "wannabee" class. Kimili's "TITAN" is quite beautiful. The blue-and-white interior really goes well with the aluminum walls and the setup is jewel-box perfect.

It's quite a diiferent experience to see an AS in the showroom than it is to see one in a campground, spend some time with the owners, and experience what appears to be "Airstream Hospitality"!

It's as real in person as it is on the forum.

I learned at least three things that I hadn't seen here!

These folks luv their home on wheels and really know their stuff!

Thanks again!

Bob and Elise
Old 10-09-2003, 03:46 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Anytime and thanks for the cookies!

It was a pleasure meeting you both, forum members in person.

Hey guys,
have canadarago come and visit you, he brought the most delicious fresh baked cookies!!!!! Yum! Yum!

...when are you coming over again??